Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    That's because they have some type of unhealthy co-dependency, their friendship is definitely not healthy imo.
    But that's not what was shown in season 1. Jessica's relationship with Trish was one of the few genuinely good things Jessica had. Their friendship was portrayed as anything but unhealthy.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    As long as Jess and Luke have separate shows it's gonna take a while. Granted they are more likely to get together because they are both on Netflix rather than if they were on separate network. Like if Luke's show was on Fox and Jess's was on NBC it wouldn't happen unless on of their show was canceled and they work out a deal to bring the characters over.

If they don't get cancelled then they'd just funnel that relationship with someone else like Smallville did with Green Arrow as the Batman expy or Hellcat replacing Captain Marvel in JJ. Right now they did with Oscar and Claire's presence on either show.

Because Netflix's shows are scheduled differently maybe we will see Jess and Luke get together around season 4 of their respective shows?
    Season 4, yikes. That would be too long, hahah.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    That's because they have some type of unhealthy co-dependency, their friendship is definitely not healthy imo.
    That's kind of a fanwank IMHO. It wasn't portrayed that way at all in Season 1.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    But that's not what was shown in season 1. Jessica's relationship with Trish was one of the few genuinely good things Jessica had. Their friendship was portrayed as anything but unhealthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    That's kind of a fanwank IMHO. It wasn't portrayed that way at all in Season 1.
    Agreed. I don't want to say that Trish is OOC in season 2, since they did set up every one of the traits that became so nasty in the first season, but they balanced it better.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    She wasn't a misanthrope before the Purple Man, and she was already very close with Trish then.
    And Jessica's proven to drag good people down to her level.

It's why Luke walked away and why she'll be the one to turn her around.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

The fact that Jessica's Mom's name "Alisa" is an anagram for "Alias" seems like a wasted opportunity. Instead of having the flashback to Jessica naming Alias investigations after her sleazy boyfriend Stirling's dream nightclub, they could have had her name it after her mother.

They make Jeri so unlikeable it's hard to care about her disease plotline.

This season would have worked better with standalone case of the week episodes.

It does seem like they're setting up season 3's villain to be Trish.

Quote Originally Posted by cadet View Post
    The fact that Jessica's Mom's name "Alisa" is an anagram for "Alias" seems like a wasted opportunity. Instead of having the flashback to Jessica naming Alias investigations after her sleazy boyfriend Stirling's dream nightclub, they could have had her name it after her mother.

They make Jeri so unlikeable it's hard to care about her disease plotline.

This season would have worked better with standalone case of the week episodes.

It does seem like they're setting up season 3's villain to be Trish.
    Wow...I hadn't noticed that, even though I thought Alisa's name was spelled a bit oddly!

I actually liked Jeri's plotline, though I thought it took up a bit too much space. Carrie-Anne Moss's acting was so strong I went with it.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    And Jessica's proven to drag good people down to her level.

It's why Luke walked away and why she'll be the one to turn her around.
    Honestly I think Trish dragged herself down with her obsession with having powers and being an adventurer. She seems more obsessed with Jessica and her life/powers more than any real friendship.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Honestly I think Trish dragged herself down with her obsession with having powers and being an adventurer. She seems more obsessed with Jessica and her life/powers more than any real friendship.
    Yeah. I think Jessica mostly was the healthier of the two in the relationship this season. She tried to be a good friend to an addict, and she showed love and honesty reasonably consistently. I completely disagree with this theme that "Jessica drags people down."

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Wow...I hadn't noticed that, even though I thought Alisa's name was spelled a bit oddly!

I actually liked Jeri's plotline, though I thought it took up a bit too much space. Carrie-Anne Moss's acting was so strong I went with it.
    Jeri and Malcolm stood out to me. The rest was hit or miss. With mostly misses for my taste

Still excited for the heroes for hire angle LC s2 seems to be taking. I just hope they forget diamondback ever existed though

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Yeah. I think Jessica mostly was the healthier of the two in the relationship this season. She tried to be a good friend to an addict, and she showed love and honesty reasonably consistently. I completely disagree with this theme that "Jessica drags people down."
    Yeah she helped Malcolm out a lot this season by giving him more responsibility. Her mother also benefited a lot from being in her company saving lives which is something she probably wouldn't have done if it wasn't for Jessica.

10 ep. in, and Trish... *sigh*

Jessica is also doing some highly questionable things. I know she's not supposed to be the standard hero, she's an *******, but she's also not supposed to be some morally grey character. She's not even an anti-hero. That's not what the first season and The Defenders portrayed her as. She's just breaking some serious laws left and right. Oscar is also an idiot and a criminal. Forging passports for Karl? Seriously?

It's hard to sympathize with Jeri, too. Carrie-Anne Moss' acting is spot on, but Jeri does not come off sympathetic to me. I feel like she had it coming.

I dislike every single romantic relationship in this season. Every. Single. One of them.

10 ep. in, and Trish... *sigh*

Jessica is also doing some highly questionable things. I know she's not supposed to be the standard hero, she's an *******, but she's also not supposed to be some morally grey character. She's not even an anti-hero. That's not what the first season and The Defenders portrayed her as. She's just breaking some serious laws left and right. Oscar is also an idiot and a criminal. Forging passports for Karl? Seriously?

It's hard to sympathize with Jeri, too. Carrie-Anne Moss' acting is spot on, but Jeri does not come off sympathetic to me. I feel like she had it coming.

I dislike every single romantic relationship in this season. Every. Single. One of them.
    The first season has her keeping her role in Luke's wife's death from him until it is almost too late, repeatedly lying to acquire information she should not be privy to, at least one instance of her taking advantage of Malcolm's drug addled state for a case, agreeing to take a job against Jeri's ex-wife to find dirt on her and just consistently being a jackass to anyone that isn't named Trish.

How is she not an anti hero or morally grey? She's a private detective. Do you have any idea how many legal and ethical boundaries those guys cross as part of their jobs?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The first season has her keeping her role in Luke's wife's death from him until it is almost too late, repeatedly lying to acquire information she should not be privy to, at least one instance of her taking advantage of Malcolm's drug addled state for a case, agreeing to take a job against Jeri's ex-wife to find dirt on her and just consistently being a jackass to anyone that isn't named Trish.

How is she not an anti hero or morally grey? She's a private detective. Do you have any idea how many legal and ethical boundaries those guys cross as part of their jobs?
    Most of what you mentioned is being an *******, not necessarily morally grey. None of that is on the same level as what she's doing this season. Also, in the previous season, she did those dirty deeds to eventually do some good(except maybe hiding Luke's dead wife's secret). Same cannot be said this season.

She's not supposed to be that kind of morally grey. She's an *******, uses dirty tricks, but she's a good guy in the end. She's not really an anti-hero, she does not take law into her own hands as long as possible(Killgrave left her no choice).

Amazing Member

Most of what you mentioned is being an *******, not necessarily morally grey. None of that is on the same level as what she's doing this season. Also, in the previous season, she did those dirty deeds to eventually do some good(except maybe hiding Luke's dead wife's secret). Same cannot be said this season.

She's not supposed to be that kind of morally grey. She's an *******, uses dirty tricks, but she's a good guy in the end. She's not really an anti-hero, she does not take law into her own hands as long as possible(Killgrave left her no choice).
    I fired this up, unsure about it. I really liked s1 and thought it was great. Probably the last time I loved one of the Marvel shows, honestly. The offerings since then have been uneven at best. Particularly 'Defenders', where I noticed that Jessica is kind of awful.

S1 worked for me because you had David Tenant's creepy and menacing Killgrave present the entire time. There was always that threat in your face, and Tenant's wonderful acting helped it a lot (your mileage may vary).

I made it through 4 episodes of s2 before tapping out. It felt like everyone was becoming on Jess' same level of prickery with Trish descending and Malcolm trying to rise above it but continuously being held back. It was a largely joyless watch with no signs of potential payoff and then I looked up the spoilers... Man, I'm glad I hit the escape route.

Carrie Ann Moss is a great actress as I hate Jeri Hogarth more than any other character in the NYC-Netflix corner... but at the same time, I hate her so much that it's on that meta level where I just want her to be gone. Or stop being such a prick. Kinda seemed like that was her character really. To just exist as a "well, Jess could be worse!" reminder that really just highlights how awful to others they both are. All the time. It gets old. Jess has a reason, I get it.

I dunno. Like I said, it seemed joyless and dragged for four episodes. I don't have time to give a show six seasons and a movie to get better. Three episodes is all you get to give me something that either intrigues me or interests me. 'Jessica Jones' s2 gave me neither.