Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

I thought it was okay. The lack of a true villain made the season feel kind of slow.

I enjoyed this season. I actually like the pacing too, I'm surprised they didn't quite stick to the "slow burn" technique as closely as they usually do. I think there were enough things going on to where you didn't fall into a snooze waiting for the main plot to pick up.

There were a good amount of character moments from JJ, and "Mal" LOL. Jess also had some awesome snappy retorts also; from telling Trish to cut to the chase and stop being dramatic to when she said "Let me be clear this time, you're fired". The dry wit this season was on point. I also liked when Malcolm was frustrated with all the lies, because as a viewer you're damn skippy that i'll be just as frustrated, if not more.

Gotta say I'm not a fan when shows stop at a screeching halt in the middle of the season for a flasback epsiode. Right when we're in the thick of it. If not done well then I tune the hell out, and the anxiety to wanna get it over with kicks in. This wasn't too bad, buut i'd be lying if i said i didn't feel that momentum come to a major slow. Trish's song was unbearable, lol. I know it was intetnionally cringe for some sort of satire, but I think it kind of went against itself by playing it for that long. Plus I don't think there is any angst in the world that I can sympathize with, its usually annoying through and through.

Btw I think Trish went through the most undeserving power chasing arc I've ever seen. It might actually make more sense and put me at ease if she used these abilities for evil, because she stepped on her friends in the coldest fashion.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Trish character does take a major hit this season. I don't have the slightest idea how she fix her relationships with Jessica and Malcolm as her actions burned bridges. Her professional life is just as shitty as her personal one. They put her in the same place as DD at the end of his second season.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Can't please everybody. I noticed Scott Reynolds, one of the principal writers from season one, was absent for season two.

Also, what was the point of Trish's covert news anchor boyfriend? Did I miss something? His sneaky antics never came to fruition.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sain View Post
    Also, what was the point of Trish's covert news anchor boyfriend? Did I miss something? His sneaky antics never came to fruition.
    It's a bait and switch, they make it seem like hes stealing the files to her research from her computer but he's actually copying her contacts so he can plan that proposal party.

It's one of my bigger gripes with the series, so much wasted screen time for no resolution or purpose.

I think Malfom could forgive Trish...she's not a bad person. She just traumatized and ironically a lot like alisa jones in that she becomes single mindly al.ost dissacoited level focused on one thing. Nonetheless, I found the last 2-3 episodes pushed trish to a borderline point of villain. I really like trish character and feel they've made the viewers understand and realate to the reasons behind them. Even so, I found her sleeping with malcoml as a calculated move really did a disservice to her character, which was made all the worse when she knocked him out. It made her as bad as her mother. Bleh. I guess the point of this season was that there are no reall heroes. Only people. That's well and good, but I dont watch super hero tv shows for that. I want a clear good and bad guy goddammit. i want a kingpin vs dd. luke cage vs crummy drug lord. iron fist vs wtv. pubisher vs the usa military. goddamn. They had this IGH stuff and couldn't throw in 1 or 2 superpowered lackeys or something for a good ood fashion slobber knocker brawl finale. Piss off with ya points and crap if ya not gonna give me some good old fashion violence for godsakes. I thought this was a marvel comkc ?!? Lol.
    Last edited by Marvel-Studios Rep; 03-10-2018 at 06:14 PM.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

I didn't think the doctor was a villain, it seems the show was just showing what the protagonists genuinely believed. Also i think Trish is the true villain of the season, intentionally or not. She's kinda selfish, envious, and toxic. I get why Jessica keeps her around, but i personally would have cut ties with her a long time ago. She's the type of person that nobody would hang around in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    It's a bait and switch, they make it seem like hes stealing the files to her research from her computer but he's actually copying her contacts so he can plan that proposal party.

It's one of my bigger gripes with the series, so much wasted screen time for no resolution or purpose.
    Oh oh, ok I never heard the confirmation for those things. This kind of surprise was so easy, it didn't occur to me that they needed a bait and switch tactic to execute it. I just thought he was going to marry her and still have a "snife under the pillow".

Mighty Member

I LOVED the first season. Best Nexflix Marvel series with Daredevil.But honestly, if Jessica Jones was not a woman, this second season would be as despised by the critics than the first season of Iron fist.It was boring.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Trish character does take a major hit this season. I don't have the slightest idea how she fix her relationships with Jessica and Malcolm as her actions burned bridges. Her professional life is just as shitty as her personal one. They put her in the same place as DD at the end of his second season.
    I was quite disappointed with this season for this exact reason. Trish and Jessica's relationship was one of the things I loved most about s1, and to see them take this route was incredibly unsatisfying and enjoyment killing. Everything was written plausibly - nothing she did was contrary to the way the character was setup in season 1, but it destroyed what was enjoyable about season 1.

Plus, despite Jessica's narration at the end, and her new, much healthier relationship with the literally best human being in the whole show, the whole thing feels like a filler arc. She's trashed her life, and has roughly the same number of people forming her social group, they just happen to be different people filling the same roles, instead of having stronger relationships with more people.

Amazing performances, solid visuals, a standout episode 11 (and NOT just because of the guest star), but ultimately not very much fun to watch, and because it frustrates all expectations and emotional desires, I don't think it's going to galvanize the fans like the first one did.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I was quite disappointed with this season for this exact reason. Trish and Jessica's relationship was one of the things I loved most about s1, and to see them take this route was incredibly unsatisfying and enjoyment killing. Everything was written plausibly - nothing she did was contrary to the way the character was setup in season 1, but it destroyed what was enjoyable about season 1.

Plus, despite Jessica's narration at the end, and her new, much healthier relationship with the literally best human being in the whole show, the whole thing feels like a filler arc. She's trashed her life, and has roughly the same number of people forming her social group, they just happen to be different people filling the same roles, instead of having stronger relationships with more people.

Amazing performances, solid visuals, a standout episode 11 (and NOT just because of the guest star), but ultimately not very much fun to watch, and because it frustrates all expectations and emotional desires, I don't think it's going to galvanize the fans like the first one did.
    I been discussing the season with a friend of mine and he's convinced that Trish was the villain of the season because of how awful of a person she became as the season went on. He even said her motivation is something he'll expect from a villain and he ain't wrong. The sisterly relationship was also something I loved about season 1 and sad to see it be killed in this one.

I'm only through with episode 7 yet, but man, I gotta say I really despise Trish by now!
    And from what I've heard it gets even worse.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I thought this was a good, but subtle season. If you're expecting hero vs. villain with an epic confrontation at the end, you'd be disappointed. But I think this season successfully does something different. Not all the side plots worked successfully (particularly Trish), but there was always something that kept me interested (and Trish was still better than the annoying twins last season).
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I thought this was a good, but subtle season. If you're expecting hero vs. villain with an epic confrontation at the end, you'd be disappointed. But I think this season successfully does something different. Not all the side plots worked successfully (particularly Trish), but there was always something that kept me interested (and Trish was still better than the annoying twins last season).
    See that's part of the problem with this season. I get it Jessica doesn't have a large rogues gallery. She won't have a recognizable compelling "villain" like Killgrave every season. But, if you want to do "subtle, slower paced storytelling" all those side threads HAVE to WORK. That's all you are banking on. If you don't have a overarching big villain with a villainous plot to thwart. You have to rely on character moments and her solving cases and this season is absolutely failing there too.

Like others have said Trish got assassinated as a character. Completely unlikable. Her reporter boyfriend was an absolute waste of screen time the way they used him.

I am only on episode 11, but I almost want to put this as worse than Iron Fist 1. Danny Rand still has Jessica beat on being an annoying shit and unlikable though. And Colleen at least was a bright spot on IF for most of it to help.

This though they could have done so much better. These actors are capable of more, I think they should have gone for a more investigative angle here this season. Use the strengths of the characters. Trish wants to be a reporter play on that and tie it into the story rather than this messy addiction plot that just doesn't work.