Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Well in this season anyway. That wasn't really a thing last season.
    Are you talking about Trish here? Because, much as I HATE how they wrote Trish this season, I do think they weren't being out of character. They set everything that Trish did in this season up in the last season - her love of the spotlight, her desire to be the savior rather than the saved, her addiction, her insistence on being included. It's all there (since I did a rewatch of s1 immediately before bingeing s2).
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

The worst thing Trish did was use Malcolm and kidnap him. Jessica killed someone, covered it up, and then tried to help her murderous mother flee the country. Who is supposed to be the villain?

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    spoilers:
    Knowing the type of person Alisa became Trish shouldn't be shaken up over killing her. She wanted Jessica to do it afterall. Trish isn't against killing if she feels someone is too dangerous to let live.
    end of spoilers
    Regardless of her reasons, killing another human being should shake up anyone.. This season has shown how killing Killgrave (and the other guy) affected Jessica psychologically. Unless Trish is a psychopath, it should affect her in some way.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    Regardless of her reasons, killing another human being should shake up anyone.. This season has shown how killing Killgrave (and the other guy) affected Jessica psychologically. Unless Trish is a psychopath, it should affect her in some way.
    The side affect of killing isn't a concern for Trish like how it was for Jessica. Jessica not throwing her life away for a psychopath was her worry.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbytes
    The worst thing Trish did was use Malcolm and kidnap him. Jessica killed someone, covered it up, and then tried to help her murderous mother flee the country. Who is supposed to be the villain?
    You forget how she pushed Malcolm, a fellow addict into taking her drug? She shot at him when he tried to stop her. spoilers:
    She completely fucked Jessica's plan of keeping her mom jail by kidnapping Dr. Karl so he can give her superpowers. Everything was over at that point and she had to push it for personal glory.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

You forget how she pushed Malcolm, a fellow addict into taking her drug? She shot at him when he tried to stop her. spoilers:
    She completely fucked Jessica's plan of keeping her mom jail by kidnapping Dr. Karl so he can give her superpowers. Everything was over at that point and she had to push it for personal glory.
    end of spoilers
    I agree with you about the Malcolm thing, she really screwed him over.
    spoilers:
    I blame Jessica more expecting her mom to not have a meltdown in person and hurt people. Trish was wrong in her quest for powers, but it’s nothing compared to Jessica’s criminal activity this season.
    end of spoilers

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Trish is the typical example of an Attention Whore.
    She does everything she does not out of altruism, but because she wants to be noticed.
    Agreed, even if she actually cares for people the need for her to be noticed is still a driving force for her.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbytes View Post
    I agree with you about the Malcolm thing, she really screwed him over.
    spoilers:
    I blame Jessica more expecting her mom to not have a meltdown in person and hurt people. Trish was wrong in her quest for powers, but it’s nothing compared to Jessica’s criminal activity this season.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I agree that Jessica shoulders some blame for her mother's actions. Everything from the last two episodes could have been avoided if she turned her in again after the breakout.
    end of spoilers

Jessica killed someone in self defense who was trying to murder someone like he'd murdered at least five people before. Jessica helping her mother is supposed to be troubling - it's bad, but it's also motivated by good in 1) loving her mother, and 2) trying to prevent her mother from hurting anyone else. Is it the most effective way to express either of those motivations? No. But Trish did most of her bad things for selfish reasons, without the motivation of loving Jessica or any measurable harm that Dr. Malus posed in the future.

The side affect of killing isn't a concern for Trish like how it was for Jessica. Jessica not throwing her life away for a psychopath was her worry.
    I don't see how that's fundamentally different from Jessica killing Killgrave to prevent anyone else being hurt by him?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post

I don't see how that's fundamentally different from Jessica killing Killgrave to prevent anyone else being hurt by him?
    It's not. My argument is that Trish wouldn't be tormented about crossing that line as it wasn't something she worried about.

It's not. My argument is that Trish wouldn't be tormented about crossing that line as it wasn't something she worried about.
    Hmm. Well, she wasn't worried about it at the time - nor was Jessica - but I hope that if they get a season 3 they show the consequences.

killing a person isn’t a normal, every day thing, and Trish isn’t a hardened killer.

Extraordinary Member

Just finished the season. I liked it better than a lot of people here, but it's nowhere near as good as season 1. Not having a real villain was an interesting choice, but overall I think it hurt the season because it hurt the pacing and made the plot dependent on the characters making bad choices.

Which in a sense is the theme is the season. There's no Killgrave or Wilson Fisk who is clearly evil, but a bunch of messed up people trying to do the right thing and making bad decisions over and over again. I really appreciate what they did with Carl. Despite everything he did, he's not a villain. He's arguably not even a worse person than Jessica and her friends.

I didn't have a problem with the characterization, even Trish's. My main problem was that the show forgot about the Defenders and specifically that Jessica and Luke Cage were on speaking terms again. It annoyed me that Luke didn't call her to come help in his first season, and it annoyed me even more here after the way Defenders ended. Once she knew she was facing another metahuman, especially one stronger than her, why not call in a friend who is also stronger? I get it once she finds out it's her mother, but before then she should have called up Luke.

I see they've taken inspiration from X-Men movies' "Telling unnecessary and stupid origins of things nobody asked for."

I have no sympathy for Jessica and Trish for the things they did when they were young. None.

Just finished the season. Yeah, it was extremely different from Season 1, but I wouldn't say it was worse. It was more of an extended character study.

And yeah, Trish has definitely lost all of my sympathy, hope Jessica kicks her ass in Season 3.

Jess is a bit more sympathetic given the person she (accidentally) killed was an abusive murderer.

Trish in addition to kidnapping Malcolm, manipulated Karl into doing more enhanced experiments which then led to him killing himself and sending Alisa on a rampage. She also killed Alisa when she wasn't a threat to Jess.