Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Really enjoyed the whole issue. The Amazing Spider-Man #1 is the first issue I've ever bought from a comic book shop as one has opened up where I live!

Nice. Congrats!

Great issue.

I went with the goofy Ramos cover. About the cover, is it just me or is it on some kind of higher quality paper? Seemed more robust than the usual fare.

The main story was good but not long enough. I am thinking Anna Maria is freaked out by the proposal of marriage. Interesting stuff with Parker Industries and the whole PhD thing. Sounds like Peter is going to try and make it all work, which is really cool.

Of the backup stories, the one with Spider-Man 2099 was my favorite. It felt like going home again, with Peter David back in the driver seat. The feel really felt like the original run, to me. Looking forward to that book.

The black cat back up kind of left me cold. She was way too vengeful. Peter hardly ruined her life, considering that she's been there a zillion times before. Just not really interested in the Black Cat's revenge, it feels out of character for her.

The stuff with the kid and the events surrounding AF #15 was good, but I feel like its all the kind of material we've seen already. I might pass on all that.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 05-01-2014 at 10:30 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raphael Edwards View Post
    Nice. Congrats!
    Cheers. Long time coming!

Overall, it was a really good return issue. I just wish that for the main story, he would have fought a better villain instead of lackluster White Rabbit and her flunkies.

Astonishing Member

Liked all the short stories and particularly the one for Learning to Crawl. Have to pick that one up.

You know, after I read and reviewed this issue, it dawned on me that Peter has another reason to get rid of all those Spider-Man suits in his lab, one which he would have no knowledge of. Remember in Superior Spider-Man #17 when, thanks to machinations of Tiberius Stone, Liz Allan was able to acquisition Horizon Labs? Part of that deal meant that anything invented at Horizon Labs was now the legal property of Allan Chemical and later Alchemax--including all the Spider-Man tech and suits made by Peter and Doc Ock while they worked at Horizon. So unless Peter wants his company to face a massive lawsuit from Alchemax, he has to the destroy those suits.

And here’s another prediction: notice how we got a full panel showing us the “Natalie Long” character from “The Fact Channel” when she asked Peter about his association with Spider-Man? That pretty much indicates she’s going to be a more prominent supporting character in the future and the way this could happen is that she and her network make Jonah an offer to be a commentator a la “Bill O’Reilly” and “Keith Olberman” to boost their network’s ratings. And given how Jonah wanted to go back to the Daily Bugle but got furious when he saw their front page, Jonah might jump at this chance to smear both Spider-Man and the Bugle on a nightly basis.
    Last edited by stillanerd; 05-01-2014 at 12:03 PM.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Censorship Sucks

I thought it was a good starter issue. I would have preferred a little more action, but over all I cannot complain. I think it was better than "Amazing Spider-man" #1 vol 2. At least we had Peter as Spider-man this time. I am looking forward to the stories in the coming months! I am really looking forward to Spider-man 2099. I wish I could get that twice a month. Greedy, I know!

The wisecracking Spidey is a welcome sight for me, I liked the Superior run a LOT but it's nice to have Peter back. I think part of the reason I love Nova so much at the minute is because it reminds me of the early Spider-Man books in it's light, fun tone.

Really can't wait to see the 2099 book, it's been too long!

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    And here’s another prediction: notice how we got a full panel showing us the “Natalie Long” character from “The Fact Channel” when she asked Peter about his association with Spider-Man? That pretty much indicates she’s going to be a more prominent supporting character in the future and the way this will happen is that she and her network will make Jonah an offer to be a commentator a la “Bill O’Reilly” and “Keith Olberman” to boost their network’s ratings. And given how Jonah wanted to go back to the Daily Bugle but got furious when he saw their front page, Jonah will jump at the chance to smear both Spider-Man and the Bugle on a nightly basis.
    Instantly thought the same thing once I saw her and the logo my man, on top of JJJ's reaction after thinking to go back to the DB, only to swear them off as well after he saw himself "shamed" on the front page.

It makes sense, and just like, O'Reilly, JJJ would fit perfectly as an overeacting, loud mouth piece in that capacity.

Good thinking.

I felt that issue was okay upon reading it for the first time. I will say the nudity for Pete was unnecessary. However, It was a joy to see the title "Amazing" back on Spidey so there's that. The "pilots" for the other books coming out over the next few months were alright, though the Black Cat one ticked me off because of her continued regression as a character. Really disappointed in that. Oh well.

Nevertheless, other than a few issues involving the Avengers, MJ and Ock, I have to say that I enjoyed it but I believe it does not live up to its' issue one status, or that $5.99 price tag.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    And here’s another prediction: notice how we got a full panel showing us the “Natalie Long” character from “The Fact Channel” when she asked Peter about his association with Spider-Man? That pretty much indicates she’s going to be a more prominent supporting character in the future and the way this could happen is that she and her network make Jonah an offer to be a commentator a la “Bill O’Reilly” and “Keith Olberman” to boost their network’s ratings. And given how Jonah wanted to go back to the Daily Bugle but got furious when he saw their front page, Jonah might jump at this chance to smear both Spider-Man and the Bugle on a nightly basis.
    I can totally see that happening, and quite frankly, it would be a perfect fit for Jonah.

Awesome, Peter is back as Spider-Man, Amazing Spider-Man #1 was what I had been missing. Question though.....can anyone tell me what's going on with Comixology, couldn't buy the newest issue or any comics. So I had to drive to my comic shop to get it.....not that I didn't mind do it, but it's a huge inconvenience(especially when you're getting off work during rush hour).

Quote Originally Posted by the nomad View Post
    Awesome, Peter is back as Spider-Man, Amazing Spider-Man #1 was what I had been missing. Question though.....can anyone tell me what's going on with Comixology, couldn't buy the newest issue or any comics. So I had to drive to my comic shop to get it.....not that I didn't mind do it, but it's a huge inconvenience(especially when you're getting off work during rush hour).
    Comixology's owner is too busy swimming in the hundreds of millions of Amazon bucks to care about your personal problems.

But seriously, http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2457192,00.asp. As part as the ever increasing functionality, that technology brings us, it's important to remember that money matters moar. In this case, you can no longer purchase thru the Comixology app so that Apple and Google don't get their one-third cut of the profits.

Good ole greed. Always there to take away the simple joys in life from us.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Enjoyed this first issue of ASM. Nice bunch of setups for various little arcs as well as the bigger arcs in the future. Great to have wise-cracking Spider-Man back. Looking forward to 1.1

It's nice to have Peter back. I'm looking forward to where Slott takes him next.