Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Was there ever an Avengers Tower in the comics?

A few years ago, I read through every single Avengers title until the end of the 60s. They always stayed in Avengers Mansion, but not the tower. I tried looking up Avengers Tower on Marvel Fandom, but there were just links to Stark Tower. Did the Avengers ever live there like in the movies?

Yes, the Stark Tower was the Avengers base from disassembled to Civil War. Just a couple of years

Incredible Member

Oh, ok. Where'd it change to after that?

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    Oh, ok. Where'd it change to after that?
    living in a dead Celestial

During Civil War the Avengers were basically disbanded. After it, there was a pro registration team, still in the tower (I forgot they returned to it), and an anti registration team, with a base anywhere they can hide. And a third team led by Pym, with a base inside a multiverse nexus or something like that. The mansion, abandoned all this time, was restored after siege.

The dead celestial came later, during Aaron's run. Let's pretend that never happened.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    A few years ago, I read through every single Avengers title until the end of the 60s. They always stayed in Avengers Mansion, but not the tower. I tried looking up Avengers Tower on Marvel Fandom, but there were just links to Stark Tower. Did the Avengers ever live there like in the movies?

Yeah, after Siege, new #1s for Avengers and New Avengers launched - one team stayed at Avengers Tower, the other at Avengers Mansion. When Hickman took over, his team used the Tower, Luke Cage's, now as the Mighty Avengers, used an office building where they ran a helpline. The Mansion was used by the Unity Squad. After Secret Wars, the Tower and Mansion were both sold off, the main team moved into a hangar in New Jersey, then the Baxter Building which was owned by Spider-Man at the time (the FF was gone and Reed believed dead), then GIRL's facility at Pym Labs. The Unity Squad used an abandoned movie theatre before taking back the Mansion thanks to Johnny Storm (using Reed's money). Sunspot's team had a couple of different bases. During No Surrender they all moved into the Mansion, but it got trashed again. At the end of that event it was restored, but the new team soon got the Celestial, so it was eventually turned back into a hotel. Janet Van Dyne created a bar called Jarvis Lounge to serve as an HQ, but that ended up being only a temporary replacement for the Celestial as they then moved into the Impossible City. The Fall of X Unity Squad never established a HQ.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Didn't the avengers hang out in sentry tower for a little bit also?

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm glad someone asked this. I thought I was doing something wrong when I tried to google Avengers Tower and kept getting Stark Tower instead lol.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Didn't the avengers hang out in sentry tower for a little bit also?

[IMG][/IMG]
    Sentry's Watchtower was part of/on top of Stark Tower/Avengers Tower and became visible to everybody when he returned during New Avengers.

They transposed onto each other, right? Sentry's tower was completely forgotten along with the hero himself, and Avengers Tower was built on what looked like an empty site! Sentry eventually got forgotten again (when the Void got too out of control) and the Avengers Tower reverted to it's default self.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    They transposed onto each other, right? Sentry's tower was completely forgotten along with the hero himself, and Avengers Tower was built on what looked like an empty site! Sentry eventually got forgotten again (when the Void got too out of control) and the Avengers Tower reverted to it's default self.
    Yep, that's pretty much how it went.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    During Civil War the Avengers were basically disbanded. After it, there was a pro registration team, still in the tower (I forgot they returned to it), and an anti registration team, with a base anywhere they can hide. And a third team led by Pym, with a base inside a multiverse nexus or something like that. The mansion, abandoned all this time, was restored after siege.

The dead celestial came later, during Aaron's run. Let's pretend that never happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, after Siege, new #1s for Avengers and New Avengers launched - one team stayed at Avengers Tower, the other at Avengers Mansion. When Hickman took over, his team used the Tower, Luke Cage's, now as the Mighty Avengers, used an office building where they ran a helpline. The Mansion was used by the Unity Squad. After Secret Wars, the Tower and Mansion were both sold off, the main team moved into a hangar in New Jersey, then the Baxter Building which was owned by Spider-Man at the time (the FF was gone and Reed believed dead), then GIRL's facility at Pym Labs. The Unity Squad used an abandoned movie theatre before taking back the Mansion thanks to Johnny Storm (using Reed's money). Sunspot's team had a couple of different bases. During No Surrender they all moved into the Mansion, but it got trashed again. At the end of that event it was restored, but the new team soon got the Celestial, so it was eventually turned back into a hotel. Janet Van Dyne created a bar called Jarvis Lounge to serve as an HQ, but that ended up being only a temporary replacement for the Celestial as they then moved into the Impossible City. The Fall of X Unity Squad never established a HQ.
    The Tower was also the base for Osborn's Dark Avengers.

All in all, IMHO, the mansion is still the HQ that best fits the Avengers.

Peace

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I think the Mansions time has passed. In any real world logic the city of New York would bar all the teams from having public headquaters in the middle of the city just because of all the property damage caused by them being there over the years. Insurance rates alone anywhere near Avengers Mansion or the Baxter Building would be so high no business could even afford to be near them. I like the idea of Avengers compound from the movies more these days. A base outside of the city just makes more sense. If they have to be in the city maybe put them on and island in the Hudson. Build a new better version of hydrobase that they used for a bit back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I think the Mansions time has passed. In any real world logic the city of New York would bar all the teams from having public headquaters in the middle of the city just because of all the property damage caused by them being there over the years. Insurance rates alone anywhere near Avengers Mansion or the Baxter Building would be so high no business could even afford to be near them. I like the idea of Avengers compound from the movies more these days. A base outside of the city just makes more sense. If they have to be in the city maybe put them on and island in the Hudson. Build a new better version of hydrobase that they used for a bit back in the day.
    My problem with those away from the public eye bases (though your argument logically in the real world makes sense), is that it rules out those run of the mil everyday life kind of moments (not that Marvel writers seem able to do them anymore) such as Dane and Herc hanging out in a bar, or She-Hulk jogging, or Simon and Wanda going Christmas shopping, etc... Or even the day to day business of the mansion, such as Simon, IM and Thor getting rid of pst battle rubble, or Vision talking with Jarvis while he cooks the evening meal, or Jan arguing with contractors about renovations deadlines, etc... I always thought those moments added texture to the stories, and made the Avengers differ from, say, other teams of Earth's prime protectors, such as the JLA, who usually headquarter themselves in space.

Peace