Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default remember the 1996 Incredible Hulk cartoon?

Recently this month ive been binge watching some of the old 1996 Incredible Hulk cartoon on Disneyplus and my opinion is that ehow's not bad but it has some odd guest appearances from Ghost Rider to Alpha Flight's Sasquatch, to Dr Doom and a weird moment that ends a little incest cringey with Jennifer Walters when she turns into the She Hulk in one episode.

at least they included the short Gargoyle character to partner him up with the Leader

Quote Originally Posted by XandertheWise View Post
    Recently this month ive been binge watching some of the old 1996 Incredible Hulk cartoon on Disneyplus and my opinion is that ehow's not bad but it has some odd guest appearances from Ghost Rider to Alpha Flight's Sasquatch, to Dr Doom and a weird moment that ends a little incest cringey with Jennifer Walters when she turns into the She Hulk in one episode.

at least they included the short Gargoyle character to partner him up with the Leader
    Ah yes! I remember this show. It wasn't as big as X-Men the animated series, Spider-Man the animated series, or even the Fantastic Four. It was with Iron Man's 90s animated show as the one that came on before the big hitters. Still I remember it's theme song when waking up as a child.

Pre She-Hulk it was pretty good and fairly dark. Then they lightened it up, and yea Jen is not at her best in that show

I remember one moment which seems odd knowing the comics. An overexerted Jen is confused when she's told she had beautiful brown eyes, which she says should be green. It seems the cartoon Jen couldn't switch back from She-Hulk to plain Jennifer Walters normally, but was instead involuntarily changing back due to exhaustion. In the comics, she can, and only chooses to be She-Hulk most of the time.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

the ghost rider episode was a little odd since Danny Ketch/Ghost Rider had no business popping up other than trying to use his penance stare on Hulk and Talbot.

the episodes with Dr Doom and Jennifer/She Hulk were too goofy in my opinion.

hope season 2 will be a little better

You've never seen it? Season 2 was rebranded as The Incredible Hulk and She-Hulk - Jen became a regular character. So if you didn't like her season 1 episodes I don't think you'll like season 2.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    You've never seen it? Season 2 was rebranded as The Incredible Hulk and She-Hulk - Jen became a regular character. So if you didn't like her season 1 episodes I don't think you'll like season 2.
    No i never frikkin saw season 1 or 2 before back then in 1996. I was busy being a high schooler at the time. 1996 there was too much stuff on tv besides Marvel comics cartoon shows. there was X-Files, Simpsons, Seinfeld, ER, Home Improvement, Roseanne, TNT Monstervision, VH1's Pop Up Video was around I think

It's been 28 years. It's probably been available online for a lot of that time, originally via pirate means but more recently legitimately (I assume it's on Disney+). Nobody said you had to have seen it on it's original airing.

Incredible Member Sensational C's Avatar

I watched it as a kid and re-watched a little over a year ago on D+ I loved it then and appreciate this and the 90's Spider-Man cartoon for introducing me to the wide world of Marvel and of course my favorite superhero She-Hulk with an iconic first transformation sequence "It feels like someone lighted my fire!". Too bad they didn't keep Shulkie as big as she was in that first episode but at least they nailed her confidence and bubbly personality which helped balance out the show's usual downer tone and also helped show how the person you are affects what the gamma radiation brings out of a person.

The intro to this cartoon is a fantastic briefing on Bruce and Hulk's turbulent life and rogue's galley with some great transitions. The Sasquatch episode always stood out to me/stuck with me as a kid, something about there being another scientist turned isolated monster but they couldn't help each other was sad for me, it was a shame they couldn't work together. Another fun episode that stuck with me for whatever reason was when General Ross and the Hulk were hand-cuffed together and had to work together I guess I'm a sucker for buddy cop scenarios.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Season 1 was the best with the finale leading into a Gray Hulk story.
    I liked the Doom episode which led to She-Hulk. The F4 episode where Thing fights Hulk also had Doom and Thing also guest stars in Hulk but I haven't seen that episode in a while.
    There was also an episode with Iron Man and War Machine cuz Ross went to Stark to make the Hulkbuster.
    "Cable was right!"

It's hard to see that cartoon after Marvel nailed the character in Earth's Mightiest Heroes and Avengers Assemble. In those ones, Hulk is grumpy up to eleven, but understands what's going on at any given moment. 1996 Hulk was not grumpy, he was just dumb. And all that physical strength in a creature that can hardly understand its own actions... you can see that Ross does have a point.

Besides, a personality like that of Hulk works fine in a team, in contrast with other characters' traits, but not so much when having to carry the story all by himself.

The 96 cartoon used the Hulk most people were familiar with at the time. Childish intelligence which was the opposite of Bruce.

EMH used the Hulk that was from his brief tenure on the original team where he was least clearly smarter than the non-genius characters and there was no way brute Hulk would work any team.

Assemble and Agents of Smash could only work with intelligent Hulk.
    "Cable was right!"

Some of it took inspiration from Peter David's run, as well as the stuff before it (The Byrne/Milgrom material) but I don't think it ever got close to Merged/Professor Hulk.

Funny thing is, the Merged era was pretty much brought to the end with Onslaught, with Banner being stuck in an alternate universe so the Hulk became a still intelligent but far more brutish incarnation. Wonder if that was some synergy at work? Apparently Marvel wanted to bring the Savage Hulk back full-time so the post-Onslaught Hulk was kind of a compromise (Bryne sort of brought him back when the title relaunched, although controlled half the time by Tyrannus, and the Paul Jenkins run sort of had to explain why the personalities were all shifting again)

Had a pretty good cast, Neal Mcdonough as Banner, Lou as Hulk but getting a speaking role this time, Luke Perry as Rick, Matt Frewer as the Leader etc.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I remember one moment which seems odd knowing the comics. An overexerted Jen is confused when she's told she had beautiful brown eyes, which she says should be green. It seems the cartoon Jen couldn't switch back from She-Hulk to plain Jennifer Walters normally, but was instead involuntarily changing back due to exhaustion. In the comics, she can, and only chooses to be She-Hulk most of the time.
    In the '90s, her comics status quo was that she was stuck as the She-Hulk, which was totally fine with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    In the '90s, her comics status quo was that she was stuck as the She-Hulk, which was totally fine with her.
    Oh yeah she got stuck as She-Hulk when she was on the F4 and Reed was the one who told her but she wasn't bothered.
    "Cable was right!"