Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default 10 Ways The Amazing Spider-Man Was Better Than Homecoming

I do agree with many things in this article but I will post the most important that sticks

http://whatculture.com/film/10-ways-...ecoming?page=4

9. Peter Created His Own Suit

One of the biggest dividers among viewers of Spider-Man: Homecoming is the Iron Man-lite suit. Some liked it because of the comedy and others detested it as “it wasn’t like that in the comics”. It not being true to the source material is a valid complaint for the hardcore fanatics, but the biggest issue that emerges from Iron Man creating the suit is that it rids Peter of character.

Webb's feature demonstrates the progression of Peter becoming Spider-Man: Peter learns to wear a mask after a thug threatens that he saw his face, and the development of the suit is exhibited through the realistic devices of luchadore masks, spandex and sunglasses.

Holland’s Peter Parker is robbed of this character progression. He doesn’t create the suit and the suit does everything for him. His powers aren’t even entirely necessary as the costume can deploy over 100 different web types (including lethally toxic ones). The inclusion of Karen and the first-person HUD also makes the film and character too reminiscent of Iron Man.

The suit looks a lot nicer and brighter than Garfield's human-sized basketball, but it's still a contraption designed and crafted by a different superhero. It makes Spider-Man feel, act and talk like Iron Man, and it robs him of the "with great power comes great responsibility" motto as the ex-machina suit does everything for him, and will continue to in the next Avengers mess.

8. High-School Never Felt Like An Original Disney Channel Production

No matter how many times Disney portrays high-school as a wonderful, whimsical environment where teenagers sporadically sing and dance on tables, in reality it will always be known as Satan’s second hell.

The Amazing Spider-Man doesn’t entirely reflect this as it just had to open with a generic song that was likely top of the charts once, but it’s portrayal of high-school was still harsher and more realistic than Homecoming’s: not everyone was a genius, Peter wasn’t treated as the centre of the universe, and people gathered in a circle on the playground to enjoy watching a kid get picked on by the popular neanderthal.

While Webb’s high-school was socially diverse and realistic (aside from being a terrible Indie music video at the beginning), Homecoming’s is a school for geniuses, resulting in an environment where everyone is equally smart and “geeky”. It’s too bubbly and colourful, and at times it feels like a Disney production with the children even having their own televised news channel. There’s no fights or conflicting personalities, and the closest thing to high-school mockery is Peter being called “Penis” at a superficial party he’s not even attending.

Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone and the crowd of extras resembled college students who had embarrassingly been held back for years, but Webb's brutish depiction of life in high-school made suspension of disbelief possible. In Homecoming, the artficial friendliness and bright colours makes the school that of a Disney channel sitcom.

4. A Better Balance Of Comedy And Drama
    Like too many Marvel movies, Spider-Man: Homecoming is fun, but nothing else. It lacks urgency, substance and a feeling of consequence. Aside from Tony Stark taking the suit away from a puppy-eyed Peter, there’s never a moment that makes you feel sympathy for the carefree high-schooler.
    Drama is the missing ingredient in Spider-Man: Homecoming. No, a Spider-Man movie should not be dark, joyless or "mature", but it should have a deserved moment of silence that breaks up the comedy and makes viewers feel something. Even with the goofy dancing, cookies and emo haircut, Spider-Man 3 still had the emotionally heavy birth of the Sandman.

Both The Amazing Spider-Man and Homecoming are full of comedy, but Webb invoked drama through tragedy to provide more substance, resulting in his features having both bright and dark tones, rather than one colour throughout.

1. Peter Parker Was A Rounded Character
    Rather than performing a stand-up routine while countless civilians are mowed down by a monster truck Rhinoceros, the comedy of Holland’s Spider-Man surfaces from his naivety, inexperience and criminals making fun of his girly voice. However, while Holland’s Spider-Man is better than Garfield’s due to being less of an obnoxious clown, the boy behind the mask is a lot flatter.

Re-enacting the origin story rather than telling the “untold” tale that Sony promised its audiences, Garfield’s Peter Parker had a sympathetic motivation for becoming Spider-Man: to capture/potentially kill Uncle Ben’s grunge-looking killer. It’s only after Peter encountered the Lizard and rescued the passengers from the bridge that he truly understood Uncle Ben’s lecture about responsibility as he begrudgingly abandoned his personal quest for revenge to protect New York from the giant reptilian.

The motivation for Holland’s Peter Parker being Spider-Man is to impress Tony Stark. He’s not driven to help Aunt May like in the comics, and he’s not compelled to protect citizens due to his old man’s final words. His reason for donning the suit is shallow and superficial, meaning audiences can only have a shallow and superficial emotional response to him.

Unlike a round character who is sympathetic and capable of surprising, Holland's Peter Parker is predictable and flat. He's fun to watch, but nothing more. The determination, maturity, and concluding moment of selfishness made Garfield's portrayal unpredictable and more interesting. He was a complex hero with more pressing matters than impressing a billionaire playboy.

who feels the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaddor View Post
    I do agree with many things in this article but I will post the most important that sticks

http://whatculture.com/film/10-ways-...ecoming?page=4

One of the biggest dividers among viewers of Spider-Man: Homecoming is the Iron Man-lite suit. Some liked it because of the comedy and others detested it as “it wasn’t like that in the comics”. It not being true to the source material is a valid complaint for the hardcore fanatics, but the biggest issue that emerges from Iron Man creating the suit is that it rids Peter of character.

Webb's feature demonstrates the progression of Peter becoming Spider-Man: Peter learns to wear a mask after a thug threatens that he saw his face, and the development of the suit is exhibited through the realistic devices of luchadore masks, spandex and sunglasses.

Holland’s Peter Parker is robbed of this character progression. He doesn’t create the suit and the suit does everything for him. His powers aren’t even entirely necessary as the costume can deploy over 100 different web types (including lethally toxic ones). The inclusion of Karen and the first-person HUD also makes the film and character too reminiscent of Iron Man.

The suit looks a lot nicer and brighter than Garfield's human-sized basketball, but it's still a contraption designed and crafted by a different superhero. It makes Spider-Man feel, act and talk like Iron Man, and it robs him of the "with great power comes great responsibility" motto as the ex-machina suit does everything for him, and will continue to in the next Avengers mess.

No matter how many times Disney portrays high-school as a wonderful, whimsical environment where teenagers sporadically sing and dance on tables, in reality it will always be known as Satan’s second hell.

The Amazing Spider-Man doesn’t entirely reflect this as it just had to open with a generic song that was likely top of the charts once, but it’s portrayal of high-school was still harsher and more realistic than Homecoming’s: not everyone was a genius, Peter wasn’t treated as the centre of the universe, and people gathered in a circle on the playground to enjoy watching a kid get picked on by the popular neanderthal.

While Webb’s high-school was socially diverse and realistic (aside from being a terrible Indie music video at the beginning), Homecoming’s is a school for geniuses, resulting in an environment where everyone is equally smart and “geeky”. It’s too bubbly and colourful, and at times it feels like a Disney production with the children even having their own televised news channel. There’s no fights or conflicting personalities, and the closest thing to high-school mockery is Peter being called “Penis” at a superficial party he’s not even attending.

Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone and the crowd of extras resembled college students who had embarrassingly been held back for years, but Webb's brutish depiction of life in high-school made suspension of disbelief possible. In Homecoming, the artficial friendliness and bright colours makes the school that of a Disney channel sitcom.

Like too many Marvel movies, Spider-Man: Homecoming is fun, but nothing else. It lacks urgency, substance and a feeling of consequence. Aside from Tony Stark taking the suit away from a puppy-eyed Peter, there’s never a moment that makes you feel sympathy for the carefree high-schooler.
    Drama is the missing ingredient in Spider-Man: Homecoming. No, a Spider-Man movie should not be dark, joyless or "mature", but it should have a deserved moment of silence that breaks up the comedy and makes viewers feel something. Even with the goofy dancing, cookies and emo haircut, Spider-Man 3 still had the emotionally heavy birth of the Sandman.

Both The Amazing Spider-Man and Homecoming are full of comedy, but Webb invoked drama through tragedy to provide more substance, resulting in his features having both bright and dark tones, rather than one colour throughout.

Rather than performing a stand-up routine while countless civilians are mowed down by a monster truck Rhinoceros, the comedy of Holland’s Spider-Man surfaces from his naivety, inexperience and criminals making fun of his girly voice. However, while Holland’s Spider-Man is better than Garfield’s due to being less of an obnoxious clown, the boy behind the mask is a lot flatter.

Re-enacting the origin story rather than telling the “untold” tale that Sony promised its audiences, Garfield’s Peter Parker had a sympathetic motivation for becoming Spider-Man: to capture/potentially kill Uncle Ben’s grunge-looking killer. It’s only after Peter encountered the Lizard and rescued the passengers from the bridge that he truly understood Uncle Ben’s lecture about responsibility as he begrudgingly abandoned his personal quest for revenge to protect New York from the giant reptilian.

The motivation for Holland’s Peter Parker being Spider-Man is to impress Tony Stark. He’s not driven to help Aunt May like in the comics, and he’s not compelled to protect citizens due to his old man’s final words. His reason for donning the suit is shallow and superficial, meaning audiences can only have a shallow and superficial emotional response to him.

Unlike a round character who is sympathetic and capable of surprising, Holland's Peter Parker is predictable and flat. He's fun to watch, but nothing more. The determination, maturity, and concluding moment of selfishness made Garfield's portrayal unpredictable and more interesting. He was a complex hero with more pressing matters than impressing a billionaire playboy.

who feels the same?
    i haven't seen either so i can't comment on the majority of these points, but i really don't get the issue around peter's suit. that one just seems...nitpicky. it's one of those fan hang ups i will never empathise with. if i was in the same universe as tony stark, i'd hit him up for a suit too, rather than try (and fail) to get my cosplay on.
    troo fan or death

Mighty Member

shrug

I like Garfield's obnoxious clown Spider-Man
    that's my most favorite part of him being Spider-Man
    I thought he was a wise-cracking, smart alex superhero
    I didn't see that in Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man

I read some people commenting that Spider-Man was too much like Deadpoll
    umm....it's actually the other way around
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Speaking as a Spidey fan, can't say I agree with the assessment. ASM1 was an extremely generic superhero movie with Spidey characters plugged in, while Homecoming, love it or hate it, was distinctly a Spider-Man movie.

As far as Spidey not making his own suit (#9), I honestly see it as a non-issue. The theme of the story is Spidey trying to find where he fits into the superhero world and his wish to get to the big leagues before he's ready. The Stark suit ties into that narrative and provides the catalyst, in part. Also, what everyone seems to miss is that the movie itself says that the high tech costume is not the defining attribute of Spider-Man ("if you're nothing without this suit, then you shouldn't have it") and that the climax where Peter finally figures out who he's supposed to be as Spider-Man happens when he's wearing the suit he made himself.

The high school setting (#8) is odd complaint (IMHO), given that they're different schools (a regular school vs. a magnet school). We also only saw a one side of Homecoming's school, while in ASM1, the school was pretty unimportant in the grand scheme of things. (It's also worth noting that Homecoming was not about Peter having a rough time at school, but him finding his place in the superhero world. Also, Homecoming is accurate to the source material, Ultimate Spider-Man, where Peter wasn't bullied constantly 24/7.)

As far as balancing comedy and drama (#4), ironically one of my problems with ASM1 was that it had no such balance. The movie's main tone is brooding angst. All I can say is that both movies were based on the Ultimate Spider-Man comics and that Homecoming is the more faithful adaptation in terms of tone and characterization.

As far as ASM1 Spidey being a better character (#1), no agreement. One of my huge problems with the ASM movies was the Spider-Man character. Excusing the botched origin story (Spidey is not about revenge and having his uncle die over chocolate milk did not work at all) and disconnect from who the character was, the Spidey does not change that much over the movie. The Homecoming version did have a story arc and was faithful to who the character was. (I still like Maguire's version better, but Holland does really good for this new version of the character.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Yeah, I totally agree with the article. The Peter in Homecoming isn't the Peter I know from the comics whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    i haven't seen either so i can't comment on the majority of these points, but i really don't get the issue around peter's suit. that one just seems...nitpicky. it's one of those fan hang ups i will never empathise with. if i was in the same universe as tony stark, i'd hit him up for a suit too, rather than try (and fail) to get my cosplay on.
    I don't think the suit is the biggest issue with the movie, but the complaints are valid. The difference between you and Peter is that you are not (I presume) a super-genius inventor.

Spidey did make his own suit. He's shown wearing it in both Civil War and in Homecoming. And the suit he made was more realistically the kind of thing you'd expect a kid to make than the one in the ASM films or even the (gasp!) Raimi films.

High School in homecoming was somewhat Disneyfied, but it showed high school students doing things that high school students do way more than ASM did.

ASM did not have any comedy in it. It had awkward moments where you were obviously expected to laugh, but didn't really feel like laughing.

Garfield really wasn't that fun to watch. He was a hipster emo semi-cool renegade with a board who didn't know how to use batteries and stalked girls.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Yeah, I totally agree with the article. The Peter in Homecoming isn't the Peter I know from the comics whatsoever.
    Mileage varies, of course, I honestly found him to be a very good depiction of the character as I've understood him to be from the comics and adaptations I've read/seen. What seemed off to you about Homecoming's Spidey?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Really don't agree with number 4. Homecoming's humour was well-placed, and actually funny. The Amazing Spider-Man's humour was juvenile and crude, and didn't really land for me (the above video being the most egregious example. Compare the car thief scene with Homecoming's Aaron confrontation. Peter seemed like a jerk TASM, toying with his prey, whereas Homecoming Peter was still finding himself, he was trying his best to help out whilst trying to emulate everyone but himself.

That list is also poorly written. Whilst I respect the author may have had a different opinion, poorly argued paragraphs like these seem like they were drawn from a rushed teenager's essay.

"The motivation for Holland’s Peter Parker being Spider-Man is to impress Tony Stark. He’s not driven to help Aunt May like in the comics, and he’s not compelled to protect citizens due to his old man’s final words. His reason for donning the suit is shallow and superficial, meaning audiences can only have a shallow and superficial emotional response to him."

Like come on, that's poorly evidenced and and simplifying it down to an insane level to add another point to the argument.

It is nice to see the actual Spidey sense in action in that train sequence, though.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

This list is garbage.

10. Stan Lee's Best Cameo

Debatable. I think Stan's best cameo was in the first Avengers film.

Peter created his own suit in the MCU. It just didn't look like something a movie studio made for him.

What does this even mean?

7. The Cast Were More Involved

Except for when they weren't, as the article admits. Norman Osborn died of mysterious soap opera disease. Watch out for that!

6. We Saw Peter Be A Boy Genius

Peter looked up a Youtube video to understand how batteries work. So, no. ASM failed at this.

5. Peter And The Lizard Had A Relationship

Which felt like a retread of Peter and Ock's relationship from Spider-Man 2. At least Toomes being the father of Peter's love interest was a somewhat original idea.

LOL, no. The ASM films were far too brooding.

3. The Romance Was Charming

Peter stalked Gwen. Gwen's dying dad asked Peter to stay away from Gwen. Peter didn't. Gwen ended up dying.

That's not charming.

2. Characters Were Truer To The Comic Books

"Peter Parker wants to impress the more established super heroes" has literally been a thing since Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 1) #1.

What movies did they watch? Because it sure wasn't the ASM films.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Spidey did make his own suit. He's shown wearing it in both Civil War and in Homecoming. And the suit he made was more realistically the kind of thing you'd expect a kid to make than the one in the ASM films or even the (gasp!) Raimi films.

High School in homecoming was somewhat Disneyfied, but it showed high school students doing things that high school students do way more than ASM did.

ASM did not have any comedy in it. It had awkward moments where you were obviously expected to laugh, but didn't really feel like laughing.

Garfield really wasn't that fun to watch. He was a hipster emo semi-cool renegade with a board who didn't know how to use batteries and stalked girls.
    the disneyfied thing is a downer since spiderman TAS showed school better than that though petter was already in college. it really strikes me as odd how the marvel animation of the 90s can be more appealing to an adult demo than the live action movies of the 2010

true, ASM did not have any comedy at least not I remember too much, there were humor moments but not fill comedy stuff

I find it amusing that one of the points the guy tries to make is that "MJ" wasn't Mary Jane. That's .. right. She wasn't. She wasn't even named Mary Jane. She was a completely different character altogether.

Peter stalked Gwen. Gwen's dying dad asked Peter to stay away from Gwen. Peter didn't. Gwen ended up dying.

That's not charming.
    Seriously. Peter came off as quite creepy there.

Also Winter Soldier was Stan Lee's best cameo. "Aww man, I am so fired."
    Last edited by Alan2099; 12-11-2017 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Speaking as a Spidey fan, can't say I agree with the assessment. ASM1 was an extremely generic superhero movie with Spidey characters plugged in, while Homecoming, love it or hate it, was distinctly a Spider-Man movie.
    I think they were both distinctly Spider-Man movies in their own way, just like Batman: Returns or Batman: Forever are as much Batman movies as the Nolan films are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    None of the pre-MCU Spider-Man movies were all that focused on Pete's high school years, for good or bad.
    I dunno, it had quips and a bit of subdued humor rather then the more overt humor of the MCU or the kind of humor of Raimi's film.

I don't think it was perfect, especially for the more goofier moments in ASM2, but I thought it worked fine.
    I think he got Spidey's voice and personality down much better then Holland does so far, but his Peter did kind of come off as "too cool for school" or like a tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    10. Stan Lee's Best Cameo

Debatable. I think Stan's best cameo was in the first Avengers film.
    He's had a lot of great cameos. It's really hard to rank or prefer one over the other for me.
    6. We Saw Peter Be A Boy Genius

Peter looked up a Youtube video to understand how batteries work. So, no. ASM failed at this.
    They CW Barry Allen'd him.

Conversely MCU Peter can barely take down common criminals in his own movie so I guess it's difficult to capture the full Spidey feeling in a single movie.
    5. Peter And The Lizard Had A Relationship

Which felt like a retread of Peter and Ock's relationship from Spider-Man 2. At least Toomes being the father of Peter's love interest was a somewhat original idea.
    I dunno, I'm used to that being how they handle Peter and Connors' relationship before The Lizard so I don't see the problem with it.

I don't see what you get from Connors and Peter not having any relationship at all unless you throw Billy and Martha in there.

LOL, no. The ASM films were far too brooding.
    That they were.

I do think Spider-Man can be darker and more moody but I don't think the ASM movies handled it that well.

That's not charming.
    People usually overlook that stuff because of Garfield and Stone's chemistry.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post

I don't think the suit is the biggest issue with the movie, but the complaints are valid. The difference between you and Peter is that you are not (I presume) a super-genius inventor.
    you're right, but i don't know if tesla was particularly good with a thread and needle either
    troo fan or death

BANNED

I thought the suit was a particularly good idea, in that it gave someone for Spider-man to talk to without having to have a cell phone slapped to his face or some weird headphones attached to his mask. Plus he couldn't get cell coverage in the warehouse.

I could have done without the misadventures with the suit's capabilities though. They only served to get in the way of him actually looking competent.