View Poll Results: Should Jaime/Ted change their codename?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Jaime Reyes should

14 31.82%
  • Yes, Ted Kord should

7 15.91%
  • No

23 52.27%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Who should change their codename?

So recently there was an article posted on social media sites stating that Blue Beetle and Booster Gold might appear in the Arrowverse in the near future. Of course fans were happy about Booster Gold but the other hero, Blue Beetle, was a bit more controversial. Ted Kord fans and Jaime Reyes fans ended up arguing over which character deserved to be used more, and it got pretty ugly, fast! The discussion became a literal battlefield, a feature that usually happens when Blue Beetle or any other legacy is brought up (is Batgirl, Robin, Green Lantern, Flash and recently Firestorm/Atom).

This got me thinking if a code name change would help pacify the situation. Usually successful legacy character's tend to break off from the mantle they inherited and create their own identity. Cassandra/Black Bat, Stephanie/Spoiler, Kyle/Ion, Jason/Red Hood, just to name a few, have done so. So should Jaime or Ted change their superhero identity and if so which one?

In the comics, Ted has given up being the Blue Beetle and is Jaime's mentor. Jaime is the Blue Beetle.

In the TV show(s), if they're going to have a Booster Gold and Blue Beetle pairing, my guess is that Ted will be the Blue Beetle, and Jaime won't exist - or won't be a superhero yet - in that universe. Ted has always been the Blue Beetle associated with Booster. They don't have to do it that way, but it's likely.

And I see no reason why that's a problem. Look who was Speedy in Arrow. Look at the fact that Superman and Supergirl exist in a different parallel world from Flash and Green Arrow on the TV shows. The Berlanti-verse and the comic-book DCU are different fictional settings; there are going to be differences in the characters that appear in those two settings.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

BANNED

As said above, Ted isn't even going by Blue Beetle these days, acting as Jaime's mentor. That said, I actually want him to take that name BACK, and have there be two Blue Beetles. I don't see any problem with that.

Also, just saying, not the best examples you used.

Cass- Was only Black Bat for a handful of issues and only had that name because DC had screwed her out of being Batgirl, Steph- Was Spoiler almost two decades before becoming Batgirl etc.

Ted was the original Blue Beetle and Jaime, to my knowledge is Blue Beetle in just about every other DC media. Why not let Ted have his chance?

I have said this in regards to the mini Ray vs Ryan wars, there is no reason there can not be two Atoms. There is also no reason there can not be two Blue Beetles. I know fans can be protective of their favorite characters, but there is PLENTY of stuff out there for everyone to have their moments.

It's like having MULTIPLE CHARACTERS WITH ONE NAME IS A CRIME NOW!

Connor Hawke and Oliver Queen can both be Green Arrow
    Barry, Jay and Wally can all be the Flash
    Ted and Jaime can both be Blue Beetle

THEY CAN SHARE NAMES...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    Ted was the original Blue Beetle.
    Dan Garrett is like, 'Whaaat?'

I feel the same about Wally vs. Barry or Hal vs. Kyle vs. John arguments that bring up Barry or Hal being 'first' and ignore Jay Garrick or Alan Scott.

Still, I'm fine with multiple people being called the Flash, or Blue Beetle, or Wonder Girl, or whatever (and it's not like there haven't been hundreds or thousands of people named 'Green Lantern' for ages). Nobody needs to change their name. Ted and Jaime are very different characters occupying very different roles (and with very different powers).

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Dan Garrett is like, 'Whaaat?'

I feel the same about Wally vs. Barry or Hal vs. Kyle vs. John arguments that bring up Barry or Hal being 'first' and ignore Jay Garrick or Alan Scott.

Still, I'm fine with multiple people being called the Flash, or Blue Beetle, or Wonder Girl, or whatever (and it's not like there haven't been hundreds or thousands of people named 'Green Lantern' for ages). Nobody needs to change their name. Ted and Jaime are very different characters occupying very different roles (and with very different powers).
    DOH! You are right, my apologies. My Blue Beetle knowledge is not as great as my Flash/GL knowledge

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Let Ted and Jamie both keep the name. I don't see why it has to be one or the other.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I've always said, a simple colour change to Jaime's armour and he could be called The Silver Scarab. Hector Hall isn't around to use it right now anyway.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Ted and Jaime should recruit two more people to join them as Blue Beetles. Then, they can appear together in a story called MEET THE BEETLES!

I can already visualize the cover of the book.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I'm good with this...

The Blue Beetle (Ted Kord)

The Blue Scarab (Jaime Reyes)
    "History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

I could see Ted adopting something kind of foolish like Blue Bug.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    This got me thinking if a code name change would help pacify the situation. Usually successful legacy character's tend to break off from the mantle they inherited and create their own identity. Cassandra/Black Bat, Stephanie/Spoiler, Kyle/Ion, Jason/Red Hood, just to name a few, have done so. So should Jaime or Ted change their superhero identity and if so which one?
    The that Robin and to some degree Batgirl are identities for young heros that you can graduate out of, Blue Beetle isn't.
    Steph and Cass also didn't really didn't really graduate, Dpeph went back to her previous identity, Black Bat is (like Tims Red Robin) not really a big step away from her Batgirl (she even reused parts of her Batgirl suit for the Black Bat costume) and orphan seems more like a step back to her time before she became Batgirl.
    And Kyle is imo still more famous as Green Lantern than as Ion (thats similar to Allan Scott's "Sentinel" that also never really caught on).

there is enough Blue Beetle to go around. Neither should have to change their name.

Jaime has appeared in numerous cartoons and video games as Blue Beetle so he's already been established as using that moniker. DC wouldn't and shouldn't change his code name. Ted is a classic DC (and Charlton) hero who has been known as Blue Beetle for over 50 years. both should remain BLUE BEETLE. how many Flashes and Green Lanterns are there? hell there's even multiple Supermen.

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Who should change their codename?
    Why don't you change your user name?