Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    That second scan was worded badly. Will edit.

We are our own worst editors.

Also working on the issue of that scan.

Edit: Got it, Thor #185. The rest of the story goes from 185-188, 1966. http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix7/infinityodin.htm

One thing to note about that scan, in #187, the text states that even though the distortions are happening at a range of light years that should take quite some time to be detected by Earth (because it's from the furthest reaches of the known universe, the scientists were picking up those signals instantaneously, thus defying the laws of science. It should be noted that the reason that this incarnation of Infinity took control of Odin was precisely because of his power (when her powers were severely limited) and thus was key to her scheme to destroy the universe. Even if he isn't a universe-buster, it seems getting his power would have been a major step towards attaining universe-destroying power.

From the wiki: "Odin's power was so vast, that when a part of Odin, his dark side bonded with the conceptual entity Infinity, went rogue, it was so large that it could crush planets in its grip as if they were pebbles, his mere limbs stretched as far as galaxies. Odin's battle with Infinity destroyed entire galaxies and countless worlds. When awoken from his trance by Thor, Odin swiftly got rid of Infinity and with one simple act was powerful enough to restore all the damage Infinity had caused across the Universe in moments."
    To put this as quickly as possible: things Odin does while he's fused with the conceptual Infinity being aren't reflective of Odin.

The very entry you link to points out the whole thing being retconned as Odin having managed to tap into but a tiny sliver of the power of Infinity, i.e. the being that is the counterpart of Eternity, i.e. a being that at full oomph would not need Odin for jack to do anything you're referring to. It makes for not even really having to touch any of the rest of this. Nothing of this is thereby anything remotely indicative of the power of Odin.

Like there's a scan, right in the marvunapp entry, saying this very thing, in those very words "Odin tapped into a tiny little bit of actual Infinity."
    Last edited by Pendaran; 12-12-2017 at 02:33 PM.

That's all fine, I'm good with that.
    You really shouldn't be. With regards Odin's power that's basically a mix of a colossal outlier, and a thing, even setting aside what you could say about its actual details, that got savagely retconned.

To touch more specifically on the actual comics anyway... Infinity is pulling various worlds out of the main reality as far as what is going on in those comics. So.. what galaxy/universe busting are you talking about? There's certainly a line from Odin about how he doesn't care if galaxies or worlds fall, he will stop Infinity, but beyond that...

Even the comic itself ends with Odin taking hold of an external power source to undo what Infinity did. That doesn't speak to his personal power so much as apparently having a really kick ass external power source.

It's all moot considering this whole thing became "Odin tapped into a tiny part of the power of Infinity."

From the wiki: "Odin's power was so vast, that when a part of Odin, his dark side bonded with the conceptual entity Infinity, went rogue, it was so large that it could crush planets in its grip as if they were pebbles, his mere limbs stretched as far as galaxies. Odin's battle with Infinity destroyed entire galaxies and countless worlds. When awoken from his trance by Thor, Odin swiftly got rid of Infinity and with one simple act was powerful enough to restore all the damage Infinity had caused across the Universe in moments."
    That wiki is wrong in a lot of ways, the very least of them being that Odin's one simple act was "Odin took hold of his scepter of power to do a thing".

Alright, I yield. Still, it was fun reading those issues at work while digging for feats.

They're some delightfully trippy comics, I'm just saying as far as using them for the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Alright, I yield. Still, it was fun reading those issues at work while digging for feats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    They're some delightfully trippy comics, I'm just saying as far as using them for the thread.
    Basically anything with Old School Odin in it was a good/trippy read. I love some of the old art work.

My favorite was the "unstoppable weapon of asgard... THE ODINIAN FORCE ARROW!"
    *proceeds to shoot a ballistic missile sized arrow and levels a mountain*
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

http://kirbymuseum.org/blogs/dynamic...-08_140437.jpg

Cuz I know you are all dying of curiosity :P
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Basically anything with Old School Odin in it was a good/trippy read. I love some of the old art work.

My favorite was the "unstoppable weapon of asgard... THE ODINIAN FORCE ARROW!"
    *proceeds to shoot a ballistic missile sized arrow and levels a mountain*
    Part of the fun is that Stan Lee never wrote a feat he didn't like, regardless of its validity OR hyperbole. TIL. Excelsior!
    Last edited by Cyke; 12-12-2017 at 04:21 PM.

http://kirbymuseum.org/blogs/dynamic...-08_140437.jpg

Cuz I know you are all dying of curiosity :P
    That is not an arrow. That is a missile that they're calling an arrow because they want to pretend they don't use missiles.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Didn't Jiren powering up shake the entire Void dimension, which is supposed to be infinitely large? UI Goku is edging into that territory, though I don't think that we've seen Jiren actually go full out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Didn't Jiren powering up shake the entire Void dimension, which is supposed to be infinitely large? UI Goku is edging into that territory, though I don't think that we've seen Jiren actually go full out yet.
    ...according to Android 18 yeah. But yknow, she was like 500 feet from the guy lol. I'm not keen on using her statements as some sort of "word of god" or anything.

Like if the Grand Priest or Whis had said something, that would be better.

But still, Goku and Beerus threatened universal destruction, so its hardly like shaking a dimension would even be their best feat anyway.
    - big_adventure

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

...according to Android 18 yeah. But yknow, she was like 500 feet from the guy lol. I'm not keen on using her statements as some sort of "word of god" or anything.

But still, Goku and Beerus threatened universal destruction, so its hardly like shaking a dimension would even be their best feat anyway.

I guess that goes along with SSJ2 Kefla saying that she feels strong enough to destroy a universe. Technically, she should be on that tier, but it's not like she has actual prior experience handling forces on that level (okay, maybe Kale does, but she's not usually in right frame of mind to properly analyze herself in those moments) with which to means that judgement, and it might have just been hyperbole on her part.

And hey, now we can look forward to Ultra Instinct Vegeto possible making an appearance at some point.
    Last edited by The Drunkard Kid; 12-12-2017 at 05:42 PM.

I guess that goes along with SSJ2 Kefla saying that she feels strong enough to destroy a universe. Technically, she should be on that tier, but it's not like she has actual prior experience handling forces on that level with which to means that judgement, and it might have just been hyperbole on her part.
    Yeah pretty much. Like I have no problem with the upper tier DBS cast shaking universes and whatnot. Just certain statements get overhyped.

...but again if a bad mofo like Jiren DID shake the universe I'm not exactly against that lol. He is at LEAST Destroyer level, probably higher
    - big_adventure

Well,i am sorry to say this, but both of you are wrong.

1. Goku was shaking the world of the void as he was emerging from where ever he was.

2. Both Roshi and kioshin confirm that the entire world of the void was being shaken by a flow of energy(UI GOku).

Ofc, then we got Piccolo stating that enraged ssj2 Kefla is more powerful than initial Ui Goku, who shook the world of the void.

Then Kefla says she can one shot a universe. Granted, she could also one shot UI Goku, if her attack connected.

Jiren did it first. Moments after Belmod told him to crush Goku. Frieza remarked that it felt like "a true monster is on the move"
    - big_adventure