Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Beta Ray Bill vs Hal Jordan

Speed equalized. Post crisis unamped Hal. I think Hal and Thor are considered roughly equals so how does he fare against the Korbinite?

On the face of things this is a fairly even fight. Even-ish. I mean Hal has way better esoterics to Bill having way better physical buffness and direct striking power in melee.

I would say though that Bill starting off with vastly superior base physicality would make for that if he could get up in Jordan's face early on and keep things to that scale of conflict, Hal is going to have a bunch of problems.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 12-11-2017 at 04:15 AM.

How does BRB have "vastly better" physicality? Hals helped moved the earth and held the moon in orbit on his own as a rookie. Also he can basically point and shoot an energy barrage before BRB gets close (Bill can also do the same)

Me:

I would say though that Bill starting off with vastly superior base physicality
    Bill is naturally just a class 100 brick, rolling around the street, as a class 100 brick. Hal is a guy who has to use the ring to amp his physical stats.

Also he can basically point and shoot an energy barrage before BRB gets close (Bill can also do the same)
    If Bill can endure it to get up in Hal's face, it becomes a more physical fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Me:

Bill is naturally just a class 100 brick, rolling around the street, as a class 100 brick. Hal is a guy who has to use the ring to amp his physical stats.

If Bill can endure it to get up in Hal's face, it becomes a more physical fight.
    In a speed equalized fight and they are a 100 feet away, Hal should have enough time to amp his stats if he needs to.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    How does BRB have "vastly better" physicality? Hals helped moved the earth and held the moon in orbit on his own as a rookie. Also he can basically point and shoot an energy barrage before BRB gets close (Bill can also do the same)
    What Pendaran said. Some of my most favorite GL fights ever are against flying bricks, but almost every GL has to work their way up to get to that point of going blow-for-blow, too. Very few GLs are essentially a brick + power ring by default, and that's also one of the things that made Sodam Yat such a powerful and unique GL in the first place.

For that matter, #MakeSodamGLAgain #BringBackSodam #sodomyatdaxam

It wouldn't really take that long for either one of these ding dongs to cross 100 feet given flight. Hal would be better suited either blasting away at Bill as he comes in or trying to pre empt it via quick construct.

Your love affair with trash Green Lanterns is tragic ;p

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Your love affair with trash Green Lanterns is tragic ;p
    I want Ch'p, G'Nort, and Extreme 1990s Jack T. Chance back, while we're at it

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Considering both parties have FTL flight, crossing the distance isn't a huge problem. That said, I feel like the amped stats thing is a little overstated. Lanterns have a baseline auto shield that can soak a couple class 100 blows easily enough, and it's not hard for them to ramp up their defenses from there. And their offensive output is just largely a matter of thinking. They don't need to give themselves class 100 strength if they can just think "blast real hard" or utilize a construct to fight for them with a similar level of power. I suppose one could argue splitting their focus between offense and defense puts them at a disadvantage against a certain level of potent brick, but Lanterns also have the capacity to attack in ways the bricks lack, even just sticking to basic construct tactics.

That isn't to say Bill can't win. Bill goes hard, and I could totally see him overwhelming Hal on sheer moxy and power. Assuming we spot Bill the ability to counter junk like phasing based on Mjolnir's performances, which I don't have a problem with.

My thing is basically, if Bill is tough enough to be able to get over to Hal/not be construct or other esoterica pre empted from doing so, Hal is going to be bolstering himself while Bill is in his face going at him. It's not going to be enough to get him a win every time, but it's the more viable path to how he might pull a win out otherwise.

This is why I said:

if he could get up in Jordan's face early on and keep things to that scale of conflict, Hal is going to have a bunch of problems.
    Note the "if".

/If/ Bill can get in Hal's face, I find it pretty plausible he can use his being naturally buff+swinging a magic hammer when he punches at someone to Hal's not being that to take an edge.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 12-11-2017 at 10:33 AM.

Eh, I am not in the group that supports spotting bill Mjolnir feats for esoterics. Much like the GL rings, the hammers have a wide variety of powers that certain amounts of experience and skill should affect the performance of.

Again I agree that Hal should have some trouble up close with the guy though. Bill is a monster
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

No wonder Daxam is sodam isolated from the rest of the universe .......

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    No wonder Daxam is sodam isolated from the rest of the universe .......
    What happens in Daxam, stays in Daxam, lemme tell ya.

Clearly you should stay there with your trash lanterns ;p