Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Not sure if it is just me but I am really ready for tynion to move off of this book and onto something else like a tim solo book or a spoiler book. Since I have been collecting and reading detective pretty much my entire comic reading life I won't stop buying but man this run is starting to make the Tony Daniel run look like 80's frank miller batman in comparison. Tim and Steph have become completely annoying in almost all of their appearances in the book and while I know it is a team book, Bruce( the main draw to the book) barely appears in the book anymore. I know Bruce appears in tons of books but having Batman be essentially a supporting character in a book about the bat team really doesnt work in my opinion. It's not even that I don't like the batfamily it's just that tynion continually focuses on aspects of the Batfamily that are continually annoying, if this book sidelined bruce a bit but focused on Cassie or jean paul or even batwing that would be interesting. I wouldn't even mind Tim and Steph getting the spotlight if it highllighted the interesting things about them, but instead this run has continually just been techno babble with Tim (I know he was gone for a while but I haven't liked a single appearance from him in this run), Stephanie getting annoyed with everyone and acting holier than thou with everyone, batwoman family drama and villains who hate batman because of all the damage he supposedly does. Even the clayface stuff which was initially great has become too drawn out to where I don't really care anymore (although the relationship between him and cass is awesome) Detective is starting to remind me of everything I disliked in the late 90's early 2000's war games era of batman comics. Tynion is a good writer and even writes Bruce pretty well in the Batman/TMNT crossover but his writing in Detective has been really lacking in my opinion.
    Last edited by regg215; 12-13-2017 at 05:30 PM.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shadowsgirl View Post
    Tim was always a stalker. Heck, he spied on a lot of people in his first story line.
    True, but what I was getting at is that he seemed really off to me there (its was actually creepy on a level that his normal stalking isn't) and from the sounds of things he's seemingly off here as well. That can't be a coincidence and it makes me wonder what is really going on with him. Is this simply an effect of his imprisonment that is making itself known or is there something more to it than that?
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    Not sure if it is just me but I am really ready for tynion to move off of this book and onto something else like a tim solo book or a spoiler book. Since I have been collecting and reading detective pretty much my entire comic reading life I won't stop buying but man this run is starting to make the Tony Daniel run look like 80's frank miller batman in comparison. Tim and Steph have become completely annoying in almost all of their appearances in the book and while I know it is a team book, Bruce( the main draw to the book) barely appears in the book anymore. I know Bruce appears in tons of books but having Batman be essentially a supporting character in a book about the bat team really doesnt work in my opinion. It's not even that I don't like the batfamily it's just that tynion continually focuses on aspects of the Batfamily that are continually annoying, if this book sidelined bruce a bit but focused on Cassie or jean paul or even batwing that would be interesting. I wouldn't even mind Tim and Steph getting the spotlight if it highllighted the interesting things about them, but instead this run has continually just been techno babble with Tim (I know he was gone for a while but I haven't liked a single appearance from him in this run), Stephanie getting annoyed with everyone and acting holier than thou with everyone, batwoman family drama and villains who hate batman because of all the damage he supposedly does. Even the clayface stuff which was initially great has become too drawn out to where I don't really care anymore (although the relationship between him and cass is awesome) Detective is starting to remind me of everything I disliked in the late 90's early 2000's war games era of batman comics. Tynion is a good writer and even writes Bruce pretty well in the Batman/TMNT crossover but his writing in Detective has been really lacking in my opinion.
    I agree with most everything except your belief that Tynion is a good writer. That's a very harsh and haughty statement, yes, but I can't say I've enjoyed anything he's written. The guy got his first gig writing Batman backups, and has been writing Batman nonstop since then. That's just crazy to me, and the quality of his work really does not reflect that he was worthy of that opportunity. This very comic just goes to prove that to me. It sucks, but people will gobble it up because it's the only place DC will allow us to enjoy some of our favorite characters such as Cassandra Cain who got the editorial shaft for years and years.

Quote Originally Posted by CryNotWolf View Post
    This very comic just goes to prove that to me. It sucks, but people will gobble it up because it's the only place DC will allow us to enjoy some of our favorite characters such as Cassandra Cain who got the editorial shaft for years and years.
    Or... we "gobble it up" because it's good and we genuinely like it? Maybe? Perhaps?
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Mighty Member

I agree with most everything except your belief that Tynion is a good writer. That's a very harsh and haughty statement, yes, but I can't say I've enjoyed anything he's written. The guy got his first gig writing Batman backups, and has been writing Batman nonstop since then. That's just crazy to me, and the quality of his work really does not reflect that he was worthy of that opportunity. This very comic just goes to prove that to me. It sucks, but people will gobble it up because it's the only place DC will allow us to enjoy some of our favorite characters such as Cassandra Cain who got the editorial shaft for years and years.
    I hate to say it, but I agree. I legit can't think of anything written by Tynion that made me say " Wow. This is excellent." Maybe he should write a Basil and Cass mini or something. I like him as a person, but issue after issue I keep hoping for an improvement.Its a shame so many fan favorites are stuck here.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Or... we "gobble it up" because it's good and we genuinely like it? Maybe? Perhaps?
    If you like it, that's fine and doesn't bother me. It's all subjective in the end, but, for me personally, I just don't think it's a good book in any context really. As a long-time reader and fan of many characters in this book, it as a comic gives me very little to no enjoyment to read.

As a long-time reader and fan of many characters in this book, it as a comic gives me very little to no enjoyment to read.
    Then why do you? Why bother?
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

BANNED

Then why do you? Why bother?
    I don't see how that's relevant to the situation at hand....but if you must know it's because I like keeping up with continuity, obviously. 'Tec has been on my pull list for a long time and I won't let Tynion change that no matter how hard he tries.

I don't see how that's relevant to the situation at hand....but if you must know it's because I like keeping up with continuity, obviously. 'Tec has been on my pull list for a long time and I won't let Tynion change that no matter how hard he tries.
    I asked because I don't see the point in spending time on media I don't like, so I was wondering why you apparently did.

BANNED

I asked because I don't see the point in spending time on media I don't like, so I was wondering why you apparently did.
    Thankfully Tynion's work requires no critical reading, so reading a 20-page comic takes a surprisingly little amount of time.

Thankfully Tynion's work requires no critical reading, so reading a 20-page comic takes a surprisingly little amount of time.
    Aww, you're just not doing it right, then.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I'm not going to say that I DIDN'T pick up Tec because it had Steph and Cass in it. But I've kept with it because I think Tynion is telling really solid stories. Not the most earth-shattering, truly excellent will be a forever classic Year One stories, but something that I find rewarding every two weeks.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Because I hope it gets better and it features some of my favorite characters in all of comics.

Its not terrible, just disappointing.

BANNED

If the book continues to stay at its current level of quality, the second Cass gets a home somewhere else, I'm jumping ship. Could probably be lured back by some solid JPV focus, but other than that, yeah, I pick up this book every two weeks with the mentality of "Please don't suck and please give Cass something to do." Definitely not reading it for its general quality.

BANNED

I dont understand how Tynion can write something as wonderful as those Batman/TMNT issues and yet be so frustrating on Tec. I'm starting to think that maybe he should stop writing characters he loves like Tim, Ra's etc because he just doesn't get them. This man has literally called Tim his favorite Robin and Damian his least favorite and yet his own Damian is heads and shoulders more enjoyable than his Tim. Similarly he should focus on villains he actually gets, Tynion writes a damn good Joker and Bane yet he continually chooses to use Ra's and by extension the LOA, Victim Syndicate etc. Its astonishing how he leaves out his strengths and brings in his weaknesses on Tec. Cass, Luke and JPV are literally wallpaper at this point.