Default Immortalize Steve Trevor

For those of us who
    1. prefer an immortal Diana
    2. who debuted either in WW1, WW2, or otherwise
    3. prefer a consistent supporting cast
    4. like Steve Trevor

How do YOU want Steve to live indefinitely?

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

I would have Steve go on a special mission with a series of tasks and labors for him to complete to test his character and will to gain his immortality. Diana would be his support along the way, and as for the others involved, I'm thinking of Hestia serving as the benevolent goddess who aids him also along the way and Dionysus as a foil to his goal.

I wouldn’t mind him being an immortal or having some type of super soldier thing happen to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    I would have Steve go on a special mission with a series of tasks and labors for him to complete to test his character and will to gain his immortality. Diana would be his support along the way,
    Immortality is never seen as a heroic goal though. It's nearly always either a villain's ultimate goal... with heroes it's either a terrible burden, or a divine punishment. Sure, the Amazons are immortal, but it's somewhat between burden and punishment. For most stories, and the kind Steve would interact with it's one of those "Death gives life meaning", and all that.

I can't see Diana actively forcing immortality on a lover, that's Eos and Tithonus, or a clever manipulation like Selene and Endymion. With his job at ARGUS, he may encounter various forms of living forever, but I can't see him enjoying it, living forever means endless pain and endless friends' funerals.

There's things like injectible parapersonas like the Filth or James Bond*, Davy Jones' romantic lockbox, I cross the the Golden Apples of the Hesperides with Idunn's Golden Apples to grant it to the Amazons... then in-comic things like magical spells/curses, Lazarus Pits, nanotech, etc.

*fan wank

One way to do it would be for Steve to go through a series of challenges set up by the Gods/Patrons, wanting to willing gain immortality to be with Diana forever (and stop the Super Wonder shippers), and each challenge would be unique to each God. When Steve finally passes, he's granted immortality.

This idea may have come from a fanfic I came across a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Immortality is never seen as a heroic goal though. It's nearly always either a villain's ultimate goal... with heroes it's either a terrible burden, or a divine punishment. Sure, the Amazons are immortal, but it's somewhat between burden and punishment. For most stories, and the kind Steve would interact with it's one of those "Death gives life meaning", and all that.

I can't see Diana actively forcing immortality on a lover, that's Eos and Tithonus, or a clever manipulation like Selene and Endymion. With his job at ARGUS, he may encounter various forms of living forever, but I can't see him enjoying it, living forever means endless pain and endless friends' funerals.

There's things like injectible parapersonas like the Filth or James Bond*, Davy Jones' romantic lockbox, I cross the the Golden Apples of the Hesperides with Idunn's Golden Apples to grant it to the Amazons... then in-comic things like magical spells/curses, Lazarus Pits, nanotech, etc.

*fan wank
    That's a pretty confident statement. You are basing this on what exactly? I think it's rather presumptuous to say that all aims for immortality are evil. How can you tell a variety of stories about quests for immortality only from one perspective? That kind of thinking is limiting and doesn't push narratives much beyond what's typically expected.

Heracles didn't originate as an inmortal did he? Even being the son of a god, it was something that was obtained.

It certainly wasn't the case with Cupid and Psyche. Psyche wasn't an immortal and there was a bad omen on her birthright that she would be married to a beastly creature, so her parents end up abandoning her on a cliff to die.

Cupid fell in love with Psyche and they stayed in this nice palace but she didn't know it was him as he'd only meet her at night. The story plays with themes of love, jealousy, truth, darkness, and revelation. Cupid got mad at Psyche because she burned him with candle wax and she wanted to see him fully exposed in the light. So they want to get together, but his mom Aphrodite hated her because she was jealous of the attention she got for her beauty so Psyche gets help to be with him, they get together, and she becomes a goddess.

So, no...what you said about there only being negative motives with this is false.

All-New Member

A bronze statue honoring his heroic sacrifice, that Diana can look up at fondly from time to time.

I think it's rather presumptuous to say that all aims for immortality are evil.
    I'd agree, because I never said that. I said it's nearly always a villainous pursuit and that I can't think of a heroic mortal that winds up becoming immortal 1. of hir own desires, 2. without it being ALSO a sacrifice of some kind.

I included Eos' and Selene's mortals as examples of divine punishments.

Heracles didn't originate as an inmortal did he? Even being the son of a god, it was something that was obtained.
    In the Disney film, immortality is awarded for his sacrifice, and then refused in favor of love. In myth, he asks to be burned alive because a lethal poison wouldn't kill his immortal body and he didn't want to live in endless pain. I'm paraphrasing from memory.

So, no...what you said about there only being negative motives with this is false.
    Cupid played mind games with a girl he fancied and you're using that an example of benevolent transubstantiation?

I don't mean to be read as antagonistic, but I feel like I've been misunderstood. I WANT Trevor to end up immortal, but I don't think it should be as simple as Diana asks the goddesses to grant him eternal life. Those requests usually have caveats.

I mean, Steve's kind of a smartass. Maybe he pissed off any ONE of the several gods of death her might encounter alongside Diana, and they make him unable to die. So he gets gets riddled with bullets but he can't pass on. I mean, it's a gross way to go in the long run, but it's one way to go.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 12-12-2017 at 02:57 PM.

Your first sentence said "it's never seen as a heroic goal", then you said "it's nearly always a villain's ultimate goal". Which is it? Is it sometimes sought after in a positive, heroic way, or is it purely evil ambitions of a villain?

Why not? I don't see how Cupid/Psyche is a bad example. The gods were known to do silly things whenever they felt slighted. Who's to say that someone like Dionysus wouldn't be jealous of Diana's relationship with Steve and have it out for him? Stranger things have happened.

But anyways, can Steve truly see Diana for what/who she is given her longevity? I mean, Diana is practically an immortal herself as it stands, and Steve will most certainly die before her. It calls into question why would she even care about romance at all or with someone who is clearly not her equal in that way?

Mighty Member

by telling most of her stories in present day so that he only dies in AU's and stories set in the far future like Lois does with Superman.

yes make steve an immortal. he have proven himself many times and deserves to have his chance at the trials

I mean, Diana is practically an immortal herself as it stands, and Steve will most certainly die before her. It calls into question why would she even care about romance at all or with someone who is clearly not her equal in that way?
    Because she loves him?
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    Because she loves him?
    That's a given, but he's an easy target. Villains can easily get to her an manipulate her because of her love for him. Since he's not immortal, I'd imagine she'd be very over protective of him.

That's a given, but he's an easy target. Villains can easily get to her an manipulate her because of her love for him. Since he's not immortal, I'd imagine she'd be very over protective of him.
    That's a different issue than why she would even care about a romance with someone who isn't her "equal in that way."

And the issue also exists with any mortal friend of Diana's. They can threaten Etta. They can threaten Steve even if he's just a friend. That's one of the reasons that many superheroes kept secret identities. But for decades everybody (even within the world of the comic) knew that Jimmy Olsen was "Superman's Best Pal." Trying to influence any evil-fighting or crime-fighting character by threatening less-powerful people they care about - or even just innocents that they don't know very well - is part of the story.

And we should remember that Diana is not immortal in the absolute sense. She's very powerful, and she doesn't age. (Although whether she ages after she leaves Themyscira depends on the version.) But she has a very dangerous job and, as morbid as it is to say, could get killed next week. (That's from her point of view. Readers may have a different opinion, thinking she has Plot Immunity.) I don't see why she wouldn't pursue a romance with Steve based on the actuarial odds of the relative longevity. Neither one of them can see into the future.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Why not have her friends be trained by her? I mean depending on the version Amazonian training could make someone with Superhero strength