Default Masquerade (2009) from Dynamite: How was it?

I noticed Dynamite has a tpb collection of the Masquerade four-issue series from back in 2009 with Alex Ross & Phil Hester listed as writer(s) and interior art featuring Carlos Paul as the penciller.

Did anybody ever read it back then? How was it?

I liked it quite a bit. Hester's story was pretty good -- a mix of flashbacks w/contemporary setting type stuff -- while Paul's art seemed more suited for this sort of story than the Project Superpowers mini itself (since he was the artist on the original series). I thought it was better than the Death-Defying Devil mini, and better than the first arc on Black Terror.

Worth picking up if you can get it cheap and liked those stories and characters when they first showed up.

Thanks for the opinion . . . I am sort of leaning towards getting it.

It was the best of the 3 solo series.

Quote Originally Posted by md62 View Post
    It was the best of the 3 solo series.
    I pretty much agree with this. I think Black Terror probably equaled it when Hester became that series' writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    I pretty much agree with this. I think Black Terror probably equaled it when Hester became that series' writer.
    Totally agree. I think Hester should have been the writer to put on P:SP Vol III

IIRC I also thought it was the best of the minis, but the mini were good in general. There was also a "Meet the Bad Guys..." mini, which was quite good.

I did eventually buy the Masquerade tpb collection and enjoyed it.

I would definitely be interested in a future mini-/limited-series with her (as long as they had a good writer and decent artwork), especially if there was more of a pre-urn focus again.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I did eventually buy the Masquerade tpb collection and enjoyed it.

I would definitely be interested in a future mini-/limited-series with her (as long as they had a good writer and decent artwork), especially if there was more of a pre-urn focus again.
    Yeah, I'd pick up another mini with her as the lead again as well. If they wanted Hester to return to the character and got someone like Lau to do the interiors, then I'd definitely be game for it.

I wish Dynamite would use her more somewhere.

Has she been in anything since the Swords of Sorrow series back in 2015?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I wish Dynamite would use her more somewhere.

Has she been in anything since the Swords of Sorrow series back in 2015?
    I don't think so. She would've been an interesting character to develop further. At this point, I don't know how they could dust off all the original iterations of the P:SP characters for new stories. They've done so many reboots and reimaginings (which were pretty awful), that I think it's sunk the franchise.

Best thing they could've done was spun something out of Masks and Masks 2. But they didn't and I don't think we'll see her again, sadly.