Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default All-New Wolverine 28

We begin with the preview; Amber has bullets made from the shards of the Muramasa Blade. Meanwhile, Laura, Gabby, Daken, Megan, and Debbie await pickup for their trip to Madripoor. The Orphans find them first and attack, and Daken is shot. However reinforcements arrive in the form of the Blackbird under Danger's control. Everyone scrambles aboard, and they escape.

While tending to Daken, Laura determines that the bullet that struck him was made from the Muramasa Blade, and operates to cut away the affected tissue. Daken recovers, and after a rather creepy moment in which he MAY have been flirting with his significantly younger sister's cousin (and Laura shuts him up), Laura decides that they can't risk involving the X-Men. Danger reveals herself to the others, and Gabby geeks out over her ACTUALLY being named Danger, lamenting once again that she doesn't have a cool superhero name of her own. So Daken gives her one: Honey Badger. Gabby is ecstatic.

Danger flies them to Tokyo at Laura's direction, and they slip into the sewers to avoid notice. Upon resurfacing at their destination they confront Muramasa, seeking a way to end the threat of the Muramasa Blade for good. Laura shows Muramasa the bullet, and he's annoyed to see his work so perverted. He agrees to help them, but he requires a sacrifice from each of them. Daken is unprepared, however, and Muramasa sees that he is still plagued by guilt over Logan's death, and being unable to stop it. He's made to meditate to heal his mind, and several days later Laura, Daken, (his arm healed) and Gabby gather with Muramasa; he needs a piece of each of them to fashion something that can be used to protect one of them, since the shield he crafted from a piece of Logan isn't much good against bullets. Gabby volunteers to go first, and when she tells Muramasa she can't feel pain, he smiles and says that she will (and she DOES).

Meanwhile, Amber learns of their escape and that they were sighted in Japan. She orders their contacts there to deal with them, but that Laura is to be left for her personally. She then steps out onto a stage in front of a large congregation of the Orphans. They all unmask in front of three prisoners: Old Man Logan, Sabretooth, and Lady Deathstrike. An impatient Logan interrupts Amber's speech over why they're doing this and tells her to just get on with it. She obliges, and three hand-picked members of the Orphans of X shoot each of the three in the head.

Orphans of X continues to rock. I really don't know what more there is to say about this arc that hasn't bee said already. The art has been spectacular (some occasional weirdness of Gabby's face aside) and you REALLY have to pay attention to Cabal's backgrounds, because there's almost always SOME sort of joke in there (IE a Pokemon on the Tokyo skyline, and a random tentacle in the sewer. I'm sure there's a joke behind the disguises the group wears when they meet Muramasa, but I can't place it). However bonus props to the splash panel where Gabby gets her codename, with the references to classic Logan covers.

Seriously, Cabal needs to stay on as permanent artist. PLEASE let #31 just be a breather issue and he'll be back for the next one!

The ending may be the single most shocking panel of the entire series to date. And I guess it settles the matter of whether the Muramasa Blade could affect adamantium. However I'm curious about Deathstrike; does her new body have a healing factor, or is she still healed by cybernetic implants? This was a problem I had with Soule's Wolverines, as well. If her healing abilities are cybernetic in nature, then Siphon shouldn't have been able to feed on her, and arguably the Muramasa Blade shouldn't interfere with it. Obviously, the moment is undermined by the fact we KNOW Marvel won't allow three characters as major as Logan, Creed, and Yuriko to be offed in ANW at all, much less so casually, but it still makes for one hell of a brutal, shocking moment.

The biggest question marks: What is Muramasa crafting? And who is Amber? There's something very personal about her hatred of Laura, even more than the rest of the Orphans, considering her orders that Laura be left for her. I've been trying to think of where the connection is coming from, but my mind has been drawing a blank. Given Taylor's attention to continuity I can't imagine it would be anyone we've never seen before.

Ugh, now I can't wait for the next two issues. Thank god January double ships!

This story is going well and with good consistency.

Considering what they are facing and her family is also in danger do not understand Laura's decision not to involve the X-mens.

The execution of Logan, Creed and Deathstrike was unexpected and strange.

Gabby keeps stealing the scenes whenever she can .

This really was a great issue~ The art was great, as usual, Gabby getting her code name from Daken of all people was beautiful. Laura being the leader of this gang, taking large and charge is something I want to see more. I lol'ed when Daken got shut down by Laura from flirting with her cousin? That ending, tho...left a smile on my face, considering I dislike 2 out of 3 of them. Both of them being the males. Taylor's characterization of Daken has cured my hate for Grace's Dakens. Excellent arc, can't wait for more~

Gabby wanted a backstory for her disguise was just too pure, I loved it.

X-men and Tf2 fan. WolverineandDeadpool's Avatar

All I could think about with Gabby's code name

I really hope Taylor sticks the landing on this one. As for what I liked. Another brief look into the inner workings of the Orphans. I knew the "counter" to the Muramasa was going to be a shield, it looked too much like a shield when the first few previews dropped. The fact that the characters are actually using their head (cutting around the Muramasa wound was smart AF) instead of passing off the idiot ball to someone. Honey Badger greatness! It definitely got a laugh out of me with all of those old Wolverine covers being reimagined, the code name is a win. Learning more about the origins of Murumasa's creations and what they mean to Logan.

What I didn't like. I do not understand the point of killing OML, Creed, and Deathstrike. It didn't even have shock value for me, I know they won't die. And I won't forgive Taylor for not using Jimmy instead of Deathstrike. That would have been the perfect way to get rid of him. Wasted opportunity imo...
    Last edited by SomeCBFanboy; 12-13-2017 at 01:29 PM.

Thank god we have this Daken instead of that child-abusing menace from Grace's otherwise stellar series.

Also props to him for healing his arm from literally nothing. What's more impressive - this or Laura going Jesus mode against the Brood infection?

Incredible Member bladeofdarkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SomeCBFanboy View Post
    I really hope Taylor sticks the landing on this one. As for what I liked. Another brief look into the inner workings of the Orphans. I knew the "counter" to the Muramasa was going to be a shield, it looked too much like a shield when the first few previews dropped. The fact that the characters are actually using their head (cutting around the Muramasa wound was smart AF) instead of passing off the idiot ball to someone. Honey Badger greatness! It definitely got a laugh out of me with all of those old Wolverine covers being reimagined, the code name is a win. Learning more about the origins of Murumasa's creations and what they mean to Logan.

What I didn't like. I do not understand the point of killing OML, Creed, and Deathstrike. It didn't even have shock value for me, I know they won't die.
    Except the part where they go to Muramasa and probably sacrifice a piece of their souls to create a counter to the blade-shards instead of asking the X-men if they can borrow Hisako for a few days.

You'd think Daken at least would point out the X-men have someone who is immune to the Sword - considering him using the blade on Hisako was what caused it to shatter in the first place.

Astonishing Member

The saddes part of this issue is the orphans didn't kill Jimmy. Gabby was adorable.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
    Except the part where they go to Muramasa and probably sacrifice a piece of their souls to create a counter to the blade-shards instead of asking the X-men if they can borrow Hisako for a few days.

You'd think Daken at least would point out the X-men have someone who is immune to the Sword - considering him using the blade on Hisako was what caused it to shatter in the first place.
    I'm sure the problem with Hisako is the same as the problem with the shield: She probably can't shield ALL of them, and they can't hide forever, either.

Incredible Member bladeofdarkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I'm sure the problem with Hisako is the same as the problem with the shield: She probably can't shield ALL of them, and they can't hide forever, either.
    She doesn't really need to shield all of them - she just needs to neutralize the attackers.
    From what I got from the story, they are all giving a small part of themselves to create something that would only protect ONE of them to allow them to fight.

That said, if it turns out what Muramasa ends up creating IS something similar to Hisako's Armor - I'll honestly laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by WolverineandDeadpool View Post
    All I could think about with Gabby's code name
    This is what I was thinking of actually. Language warning.

Great issue though. I can't think of one single complaint.
    Last edited by healed1337; 12-13-2017 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Thank god we have this Daken instead of that child-abusing menace from Grace's otherwise stellar series.
    Glad someone else said it! Idg Sina's take on Daken and so far it's been a wasted opportunity.

I LOVE Gabby's codename. I also just love that kid in general lol.

BANNED

So I just KNOW there must be some sort of joke or reference in the disguises Laura and Co. are wearing when they first meet with Muramasa, but for the life of me I can't think of what it could be. Cabal has been sneaking way too many Easter Eggs into the artwork for him to pass on the opportunity there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    The saddes part of this issue is the orphans didn't kill Jimmy. Gabby was adorable.
    I'll never understand why so many Laura fans have it out against Jimmy. Even before he even made an appearance y'all was in attack mode. I mean it's not like he came in and took Laura spot or title or something. What is it? Is it because he's rockin' a cool outfit? If anything, I prefer Jimmy over Daken.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    I'll never understand why so many Laura fans have it out against Jimmy. Even before he even made an appearance y'all was in attack mode. I mean it's not like he came in and took Laura spot or title or something. What is it? Is it because he's rockin' a cool outfit? If anything, I prefer Jimmy over Daken.
    Pretty sure a lot of fans in general have it out against Jimmy.