Default What are the best Venom stories?

Talking specifically about Eddie Brock here. I've read quite a few of his stories, but outside of #300-#301, never really knew what other stories were definitive ones for him. I liked the Trial of Venom, the story where he retired to the island when he thought he finished Spidey, and the one where he kidnapped Parker's parents. I'm looking to read more Venom stuff, so it'll be nice to see some suggestions on what to look out for.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

You should first check out his earliest material beyond his #300 appearance:

ASM #315-317, 331-332, 345-347, 360-363 (first appearance of Carnage)

Maximum Carnage is an also an iconic story, but be warned that it begins to drag after the first seven issues, and then picks up again in the last two.

There's also the storyline The Exile Returns, which is the first story featuring Scarlet Spider. It's very well-written and very underrated, and can be found in Web of Spider-Man #118, Spider-Man #52, Web of Spider-Man #119, and Spider-Man #53.

After that, he had a set of unbroken limited series' from 1993 to 1998. Many of these are forgettable, but some are quite awesome. The six issue Lethal Protector series is essential, but Nights of Vengeance, Sinner Takes All, The Hunted, and The Hunger are great as well. The one-shot The Venom Agenda is one of the best Venom stories of all time as well. There is another arc also called The Hunger which is in the first five issues of the second volume of Spectacular Spider-Man. Then of course there's the latest Venom series that began with issue one but which switched to issue 150 because of Legacy renumbering. The first five issues don't have Brock as Venom, but they segue into him returning. The new Lethal Protector arc (not to be confused with the 1993 story) was kind of mediocre, and I personally feel that the current Venom Inc. story has hit a dull point, but it might pick up.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

My absolute favorite is the first arc of Venom Vol. 2 by Rick Remender (add in ASM 654.1 too, because that's a neat little story that fits in somewhere there). Other than that (and the rest of Remender's run on Venom), I really loved Venom's earliest appearances (anything from ASM 298 - the first battle with Carnage was gold) and Venom: Spaceknight.

Yeah, I read Maximum Carnage and it was pretty hard to finish. There were times when the story was really good, but others that made me wonder why it needed so many issues.

Looks like I read most of his good early stuff from Michelinie. I never read The Exile Returns, so I'll look into that.

Definitely need to check out #315-317. I believe I only read #317 way back and not the issues before it. I never read any of his miniseries', so I'll be sure to check those out as well.

Heard good things about Spaceknight. Man, looks like there's a lot of good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Turlast View Post
    Talking specifically about Eddie Brock here. I've read quite a few of his stories, but outside of #300-#301, never really knew what other stories were definitive ones for him. I liked the Trial of Venom, the story where he retired to the island when he thought he finished Spidey, and the one where he kidnapped Parker's parents. I'm looking to read more Venom stuff, so it'll be nice to see some suggestions on what to look out for.
    All has already been sayd, but here are the specific tpb you should get:

1. The Alien Costume Saga vol.1 & 2
    2. Spider-Man vs. Venom
    3. Spider-Man: Venom Returns
    4. Spider-Man: Carnage
    5. Clone Saga Omnibus vol.1 & 2

Pretty much everything prior to Lethal Protector (though I did also enjoy Lethal Protector a little).

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    All has already been sayd, but here are the specific tpb you should get:

1. The Alien Costume Saga vol.1 & 2
    2. Spider-Man vs. Venom
    3. Spider-Man: Venom Returns
    4. Spider-Man: Carnage
    5. Clone Saga Omnibus vol.1 & 2
    Birth of Venom and Vengeance of Venom are good alternatives, as well.

BANNED

There's this one shot story featuring Eddie Brock in one of his early appearances as Venom right after he first escapes from prison where he fights a bunch of criminals at a diner; was the first time we got to see him as an anti-hero and even though he pretty much slaughtered those dudes he was heroic and it was sick

Here the collected editions that every Venom Eddie Brock fan needs:

1. Spider-Man Birth of Venom TPB
    2. Venom Dark Origin TPB
    3. Spider-Man Vengeance of Venom TPB
    4. Venom Leathal Protector TPB
    5. Venom The Enemy Within TPB
    6. Venom Seperation Anxiety TPB
    7. Venom Carnage Unleashed TPB
    8. Carnage Classic TPB
    9. Spider-Man Maximum Carnage TPB
    10. Spider-Man Anti-Venom TPB
    11. Venom vs Carnage TPB
    12. Venom Homecoming TPB
    13. Venom The Land Before Crime TPB

Read them in this order too.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

You read the best Venom Issue

It's Amazing Spider-Man #317.

First comic I picked up that got me into collecting. For those that haven't read this one:

Story:

Basically Venom wants a rematch with Parker. Both Brock and the Symbiote have a score to settle. Parker realizes the severity of this opponent so goes to the Fantastic Four for help. Thing says he's got his back. Parker returns home and finds Brock helping Aunt May with her laundry. Brock warns Parker. This is only between the two of us, not the Fantastic Four. Parker tells MJ the situation who's understandably really upset.

Now we have the fight which takes place in an abandoned warehouse. Parker is in the dark and he can't rely on spider-sense. Venom bursts through the wall. Most of the Issue Venom owns the fight. Like a cat playing with his food. Parker tries a few tricks like fire but Venom casually avoids the counters. Finally, Spider-Man takes off his costume and Parker says here I am. He wasn't talking to Brock, but the Alien. Venom shrugs off Parker's offer and says they're bonded. Before he could finish the sentence, the symbiote begins to leave Brock. Its now with Brock and Parker. This somehow causes a painful chain reaction for everybody which knocks out Brock and the Symbiote.

Peter Parker walks away the winner. Its over.

Why I pick this issue:

- Best Peter Parker: It wasn't Spider-man that won this fight. It was Peter Parker. He used his wit and resources to beat an opponent where he was severely outmatched.
    - Best Venom: People that don't understand why Venom is so dangerous only read later issues and not this one. This book shows why Venom is the boogeyman for Spider-Man. Knew his identity, Brock was clever the way he countered most of Parker's Strategies, and his power was beyond Spider-Man's
    - Best Spider-Man Fight: Still the best fight I can tell you
    - Best Story: From start to finish, this issue had it all. No boring points
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 12-16-2017 at 07:48 AM.