Page 10 of 74 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    I tend to disagree. I am not a Star Wars fan in a strict sense. The only things i watched before this were the Episodes 1 to 7 in the main saga and the animated clone wars: the five minute shorts which chronicled stories between Attack of The Clones and Revenge of The Sith. In fact, i haven't even seen Rogue One till now. Though after loving TLJ i am getting that. In my opinion it is quite easy to follow for those who have watched the original trilogy and The Force Awakens.

Thanks for informing me about that. I did not know about Fandango. Looks legit enough when one has to purchase a ticket to write a review.
    Well it is about 4.25 now, same as Justice League. JL has 24k reviews.

Coco is the only solid 5 still on Fandango with 10K reviews.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Trying to avoid spoilers here...just wanted to say the feedback seems mixed on this flick and I thought it was funny the rotten tomato scores...Critics love it. Fans are at like 56%. Seeing it in the morning....

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Just posting, not reading entire thread. But I've been reading a lot of ppl complaining about the "Marvel humor". Wonder if this will finally be some catalyst for ppl to start hating Marvel movies for their awful, cheesy, unnecessary humor.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Hilariously, the IMBD score from the audience is 82%.
    I guess the troll bombs will fall there next LOL
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    Just posting, not reading entire thread. But I've been reading a lot of ppl complaining about the "Marvel humor". Wonder if this will finally be some catalyst for ppl to start hating Marvel movies for their awful, cheesy, unnecessary humor.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Critics (when they do their job correctly) critique a movie based on how well the various elements are done - acting, directing, cinematography, writing, etc.

Audiences respond based on whether they had a good time.

"Out of touch" is large a non-issue. The two groups aren't grading the same things.
    As a critic I always find that really stupid I rate movies on how enjoyable they are in my opinion nothing else really matters expect if I think it's a good movie and if I think you'll like it or not and if it's a see it Skip it or rent it.
    Last edited by choptop; 12-16-2017 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    There's plenty of people who hate Marvel movies for including elements that general audiences like.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Critics (when they do their job correctly) critique a movie based on how well the various elements are done - acting, directing, cinematography, writing, etc.

Audiences respond based on whether they had a good time.

"Out of touch" is large a non-issue. The two groups aren't grading the same things.
    Maybe if it were a Metacritic score, but Rotten Tomatoes is a metric solely based on whether a critic likes or dislikes a movie. The reason why the RT became as popular as it has become is because it supposedly bridged the gap between the critic and the audience. Even though critics might assign a 6/10 for a film overall, that same movie can have a 92% RT score and this score is broadly seen to be more representative of what the public desires, ' a good time.'

Chris Stuckmann (who gave Last Jedi a A-) noted in a video about Rogue One a phenomena called Phantom Menacing, where fans initial laud a Star Wars film as being the best since The Empire Strikes Back, only to realize a few months latter that no, it wasn't a good film. His focus was on Rogue One, though really, The Force Awakens falls under the same umbrella. There was a time where I would have said it was a good film until it occurred to me how hollow the universe that film occupied was. Now the Last Jedi is already out of the gate with a mixed record among the community, in a few months will the broad opinion be negative?
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    There's plenty of people who hate Marvel movies for including elements that general audiences like.
    Exactly.

TLJ has issues but humor isn’t one of them. Star Wars have ALWAYS had healthy doses of humor (I think the most humorless Star Wars movie is Revenge of the Sith followed by Attack of the Clones so make of that what you will) and anyone trying to argue against that is totally fooling themselves and/or flat out lying.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

TLJ has issues but humor isn’t one of them. Star Wars have ALWAYS had healthy doses of humor (I think the most humorless Star Wars movie is Revenge of the Sith followed by Attack of the Clones so make of that what you will) and anyone trying to argue against that is totally fooling themselves and/or flat out lying.
    REVENGE OF THE SITH used up its small fund of humor in the first fifteen minutes of its runtime, and the best humor in ATTACK OF THE CLONES was nearly entirely unintended.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

In the two years since THE FORCE AWAKENS, one question I constantly wondered about was what Luke ate on Ach-To. THE LAST JEDI wasted no time answering that question: blue milk and space sushi, anyone?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Maybe if it were a Metacritic score, but Rotten Tomatoes is a metric solely based on whether a critic likes or dislikes a movie. The reason why the RT became as popular as it has become is because it supposedly bridged the gap between the critic and the audience. Even though critics might assign a 6/10 for a film overall, that same movie can have a 92% RT score and this score is broadly seen to be more representative of what the public desires, ' a good time.'

Chris Stuckmann (who gave Last Jedi a A-) noted in a video about Rogue One a phenomena called Phantom Menacing, where fans initial laud a Star Wars film as being the best since The Empire Strikes Back, only to realize a few months latter that no, it wasn't a good film. His focus was on Rogue One, though really, The Force Awakens falls under the same umbrella. There was a time where I would have said it was a good film until it occurred to me how hollow the universe that film occupied was. Now the Last Jedi is already out of the gate with a mixed record among the community, in a few months will the broad opinion be negative?
    It was the same with Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith back then. Heck, people initially struggled to call Phantom Menace bad when it first released. It was a few outlets like Time Magazine that were flat out critical of it.

I still remember guys like Harry Knolwes (when aintitcool was still a thing) and even Kevin Smith praising the hell out of Revenge of the Sith.

I think because Star Wars has a large sentimental effect on a lot of people folks tend to give the movies a free pass for some questionable decisions. Thats why opinion tends to shift over time regarding some these movies.

You know, in the full circle department, didn't Luke's demeanor for most of the movie remind anybody of....Uncle Owen?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    In the two years since THE FORCE AWAKENS, one question I constantly wondered about was what Luke ate on Ach-To. THE LAST JEDI wasted no time answering that question: blue milk and space sushi, anyone?

I think might have eaten a Porg or two