Page 14 of 74 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    Leia flying. By far, the most cringe-worthy scene in a SW movie to date (the CGI didn't help in the slightest)... yes, even more than any scene featuring Padme and Anakin in the same
    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Of all the deaths Ackbar’s own was the worst.

So unceremonious...
    I agree about Ackbarr - even Owen and Beru got a more meaningful departure.

But Leia isn't flying. What is hard to understand about this? She is using the Force to PULL herself to the ship. It's simple physics. She is in zero g and if she tries to pull on something with the mass of the cruiser she is the one who ends up moving.
    Last edited by brettc1; 12-16-2017 at 01:42 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
    Don't blame Rotten Tomatoes for their readers' inability to process all of the information they provide. Surely you realize that they also show the average critic rating normalized to x out of 10. (8.2 out of 10 for this movie, at the time I write this.)
    Except they do their best to hide those numbers. They do not appear on the main page, since you have to click on the individual page to see that number and even then, its not a number that jumps out at you.

Even then, as I said before, these movies have a built in euphoria upon first glance so a number like 8.2 doesn't mean anything to me.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    And how does that effect tractor beams that make it impossible to go to light speed and the need for a pilot to knowingly commit suicide? It's just a kamikazee move that anyone could think of. Once light speed exists anyone can use it to ram something else if they have good enough aim. But it's still a suicide shot and a last resort, and the film shows that it's damage to super-ships is already limited.
    First by already being in light speed before coming into range of the tractor beams. And finding suicidal types is not that hard in real life. And that is without an evil empire blowing up entire planets.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I think you're reading too much in to it.
    How so? I feel it’s a legitimate observation.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    First by already being in light speed before coming into range of the tractor beams. And finding suicidal types is not that hard in real life. And that is without an evil empire blowing up entire planets.
    Yeah, you don't even need anyone but a droid at the helm, which means the separatists could have been blowing up a Republic cruisers left and right.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

ships already in hyperspace can't interact with ships in real space, it's not Star Trek they're separate dimensions from each other, it's why the Falcon had to hop into real space to drop Rey off. As I understand it there's only the brief moment when they jump from real space into hyperspace where that tactic would be viable, and in this case it depended on the First Order being completely focused on the transports otherwise they would have pounded the cruiser to dust while it built up the power for the jump, which they could easily detect. So ships only have a limited range it's effective in and it requires the other ship to not destroy it while it's completely vulnerable or simply move out of the way

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    So thinking back, the whole Finn And rose adventure arc didn’t mean anything did it? They accomplished nothing and if you took that whole arc out the result would be the exact same or am I missing something. Finn deserved better, first they tease he’ll be a Jedi, NOPE then he plays a insignificant role in this movie.
    It was meant for character development
    Last edited by Hiromi; 12-16-2017 at 01:53 PM.

Mighty Member

So thinking back, the whole Finn And rose adventure arc didn’t mean anything did it? They accomplished nothing and if you took that whole arc out the result would be the exact same or am I missing something. Finn deserved better, first they tease he’ll be a Jedi, NOPE then he plays a insignificant role in this movie.
    Depends on what you consider accomplishing something. Their mission was completely unnecessary, and they failed in it completely. But the change it wrought in Finn was profound. He started the film the same squirrely coward from the first film. Happy to run away from the fight. The only thing he cared about was Rey. By the end of the movie, Finn is a full on warrior. He finds his will to fight with Rose. To change the galaxy for the better. In spite of DJ's warning not to join up, Finn fully gives himself to the Rebel cause.

It's a character driven arc rather than a plot driven one. But it's pretty damn important to Finn.

Mighty Member

If you're already at lightspeed, how do you aim the shot? You're talking about hitting a needle, with another needle, in an infinite void without the ability to aim. You would have to lure the target to precisely the exact spot and orientation for an impact otherwise, which is ridiculously improbable.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Depends on what you consider accomplishing something. Their mission was completely unnecessary, and they failed in it completely. But the change it wrought in Finn was profound. He started the film the same squirrely coward from the first film. Happy to run away from the fight. The only thing he cared about was Rey. By the end of the movie, Finn is a full on warrior. He finds his will to fight with Rose. To change the galaxy for the better. In spite of DJ's warning not to join up, Finn fully gives himself to the Rebel cause.

It's a character driven arc rather than a plot driven one. But it's pretty damn important to Finn.
    The way I saw TFA when find decided not to abandon the cause and joined Rey, Han, and Chewie to go to star killer phase, confronted Phasma trashed her literally, shut down the shields, and then battled Kylo. I felt there he gained his courage and his reason after seeing the atrocities that could happen and have. I was upset they made him a coward at the beginning of this movie.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    We've already seen that a crashing A-Wing can take out a Super Star Destroyer even at sublight speeds. The ease with which Star Destroyers can be destroyed has been analyzed in-depth over the years. As for why a rebel force scrapped for resources doesn't use its relatively few ships on a guaranteed suicide run that automatically kills the pilot as well, there you have it. As for the Death Stars, keep in mind that Snoke's ship wasn't even completely destroyed. Rey, Kylo, Finn, Rose, and thousands of others survived the impact without even serious injury. And the Death Star is far more massive, has an active tractor beam at all times that prevents the use of a hyperdrive from pretty far out, and the second Death Star's shield was explicitly stated to be able to stop ships from getting through. Best case scenario, the rebels get one pilot willing to 100% die and have to aim from so far away there's no guarantee they'll even strike the Death Star, and even then there's a very good chance it won't even damage any vital systems, engines, or the main weapon. The Executor crashing into the second Death Star was like a flee bite, and the rebels having nothing that's even a fraction of that size. They need to aim it right down the throat of the main dish of the laser, and that is another 'one in a million' shot.
    Executor was travelling at sublight speed. Ergo, without "infinite" mass.

I agree againt aDeath Star sized target this would likey be less effective. On the other hand, we see Holdout go straight through Snoaks ship, so you would likely get all they to the DS core with a good shot. The DS2's shirld was from Endo, not self generated, but the tractor beam is a possible defence.

But Snoaks ship is clearly crippled, and the Attack also damages the destroyers nearby. For regular fleet combat this is like Napoleonic era fire ships, but much more effective.

The way I saw TFA when find decided not to abandon the cause and joined Rey, Han, and Chewie to go to star killer phase, confronted Phasma trashed her literally, shut down the shields, and then battled Kylo. I felt there he gained his courage and his reason after seeing the atrocities that could happen and have. I was upset they made him a coward at the beginning of this movie.
    but then all the bravery he showed at the end of TFA was completely dependent on rescuing Rey, and we saw in this movie that his justification, at least part of it, for running was to get Rey's beacon away from what looked to be a completely hopeless situation, he seemed to display a lot more selfless courage by the end of the movie

Extraordinary Member

If you're already at lightspeed, how do you aim the shot? You're talking about hitting a needle, with another needle, in an infinite void without the ability to aim. You would have to lure the target to precisely the exact spot and orientation for an impact otherwise, which is ridiculously improbable.
    I think they mean jumping to lightspeed from outside the range of the tractor beam.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    I tend to like political intrigue and plots that involve more than just mindless fighting.

There's some decent character drama, but there's little to no political intrigue imo. The First Order is barely fleshed out, same with the republic.
    Last edited by Emperor-of-Dragons; 12-16-2017 at 02:06 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    ships already in hyperspace can't interact with ships in real space.

I agree which is why the whole idea should never have been put into the movie.

All you need is a spy to plant a tracking device on your target. You activate said device right before you attack so they have no time to find and destroy it. simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Except they do their best to hide those numbers. They do not appear on the main page, since you have to click on the individual page to see that number and even then, its not a number that jumps out at you.
    They don't hide it. It's the second line in every movie's stat block, which is as prominent a place as you can expect it to be.