Page 5 of 74 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
    BANNED

What's the explanation for R2 waking up at just the right time in the last movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Will Hatch View Post
    I've been fully spoiled on the movie without having seen it, and I have no plan to now. It sounds absolutely horrible.
    Cool story bro. Part of me is jealous.

I liked it more than Rogue One, but not as much as the Force Awakens, and I realize I'm in the minority with that one. I mean, I guess the movie is fun, but there are a few things I didn't like. Like, Space Ghost Leia for example.
    Last edited by Jackmando7; 12-15-2017 at 07:56 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I HATED this movie. Like I was surprised at how much I loathed it. It managed to do what I didn't thing possible, be a SW movie that I hate more than Attack of the Clones.

They managed to crap all over Luke, Rey, Finn, and even Snoke's characters, all in the same movie.
    At this stage, I'm afraid I'll have the same reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Will Hatch View Post
    I've been fully spoiled on the movie without having seen it, and I have no plan to now. It sounds absolutely horrible.
    I'm still debating with myself whether to bother. I was looking forward to Finn but that's a bust according to the reviews and now with all the spoilers, this movie will not be worth a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmando7 View Post
    Cool story bro. Part of me is jealous.

I liked it more than Rogue One, but not as much as the Force Awakens, and I realize I'm in the minority with that one. I mean, I guess the movie is fun, but there are a few things I didn't like. Like, Space Ghost Leia for example.
    I still haven't watched Rogue One, I might opt for that instead.
    Last edited by rpmaluki; 12-15-2017 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    What we don't now understand, though, is why she heard Obi-Wan's voice in her TFA force dream. Why Obi-Wan?

I was a bit disappointed they didnt use Ewen as a Kenobi force ghost.
    It was less of a dream and more of a Force vision. Though yeah, I'd really love for Ewan McGreggor to come back as Obi-Wan in some capacity in Ep. 9.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    What's the explanation for R2 waking up at just the right time in the last movie?
    Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I'm still debating with myself whether to bother.
    I'm feeling more and more like my decision will hinge on the answer to the question above. I'd assumed Luke had some great plan to be found when certain conditions were set in place, and that he knew what he was doing. Sounds like that's maybe not the case, and if not my motivation to experience this movie drops considerably.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    Also why didn’t Vice Admiral Amilyn Holdo just tell her damn crew what her plan was instead of Risking a mutiny
    Operational security.

one guy found out and ten minutes later the First Order knew about it already.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I'm feeling more and more like my decision will hinge on the answer to the question above. I'd assumed Luke had some great plan to be found when certain conditions were set in place, and that he knew what he was doing. Sounds like that's maybe not the case, and if not my motivation to experience this movie drops considerably.
    No they dont say word about any of that. Dont go see it you wont like it. WTS The Last Jedi has had the second best Thursday preview night of all time bringing in 45 million last night. They got two tickets out of me and I will go see it again at the matinee tomorrow or Sunday (who knows maybe I go to both).

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/st...ay-1202641978/

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    It was less of a dream and more of a Force vision. Though yeah, I'd really love for Ewan McGreggor to come back as Obi-Wan in some capacity in Ep. 9.
    I think with some make-up magic, they could age Ewan up some 20-odd years and make him more closely resemble Sir Alec Guiness. Now that would be boss.

What I liked about Yoda in The Last Jedi is that it was 'Funny Yoda' from Empire, and not 'Solemn Yoda' from the prequels. I missed that Yoda.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I am very happy that Rey's not a Skywalker. Her being luke's daughter would have been too obvious, her being Han and Leia's daughter would have been too convoluted. Personally I would have preferred that she be Obi-Wan's granddaughter, but her being just a kid in tune with the force is pretty cool too, it reminds us that anyone can be a force sensitive, you don't have to be connected to a special family.
    You mean like every single one of the Jedi in the PT except for Anakin. You mean like Ezra over in Star Wars: Rebels, etc. Honestly that's one of the most annoying things, this is not a new concept in SW. It's been well-established, it's not grand revelation to be explored."

And again, if her parents are just random nobodies, then tell us that ten minutes into TFA (like we met Luke's Aunt and Uncle early on in ANH). The pointless 'keeping everything about them secret and not even giving her a last name for years" is what really irritates me about this.

Also "mystical mumbo jumbo Force Bond" is a far less interesting basis for a conflict between her and Kylo than a personal connection, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    What I liked about Yoda in The Last Jedi is that it was 'Funny Yoda' from Empire, and not 'Solemn Yoda' from the prequels. I missed that Yoda.
    To add, it was also Puppet Yoda, and not CGI Yoda from Eps II-III.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    You mean like every single one of the Jedi in the PT except for Anakin. You mean like Ezra over in Star Wars: Rebels, etc. Honestly that's one of the most annoying things, this is not a new concept in SW. It's been well-established, it's not grand revelation to be explored."
    In fairness though, far more people watch the movies than Rebels, and moreso, the main movies are primarily about the Skywalker lineage (even Kylo Ren), and so a main protagonist who's not a Skywalker but fighting them is a bit of a change from common knowledge about Star Wars (though yes, Obi-Wan was the protagonist in Ep. II-III, he did kinda fail). Also that Overhazard said "reminds" rather than "reveals."

It's not a new revelation, but centering a non-Skywalker as the main hero against a Skywalker brings it back to the prequels, and is probably more important since the Jedi are virtually extinct. Which would mean that it wasn't a Skywalker that directly saved the galaxy, but that the Skywalkers were the force that would eventually save it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    To add, it was also Puppet Yoda, and not CGI Yoda from Eps II-III.

In fairness though, far more people watch the movies than Rebels, and moreso, the main movies are primarily about the Skywalker lineage (even Kylo Ren), and so a main protagonist who's not a Skywalker but fighting them is a bit of a change from common knowledge about Star Wars (though yes, Obi-Wan was the protagonist in Ep. II-III, he did kinda fail). Also that Overhazard said "reminds" rather than "reveals."

It's not a new revelation, but centering a non-Skywalker as the main hero against a Skywalker brings it back to the prequels, and is probably more important since the Jedi are virtually extinct. Which would mean that it wasn't a Skywalker that directly saved the galaxy, but that the Skywalkers were the force that would eventually save it.
    It's a really crappy way to end the Skywalker story (and yes, Kathleen Kennedy has called it a "family saga"). "They suck so much, that random girl from the desert needs to come in to fix their mess." Also 2/3 of the generations were evil murderers, and the good ones were just abject failures.

And yet again, if her parents are nobodies, JUST SAY THAT IN TFA!!! Don't drag out the "reveal" for this long.
    Wow, that was totally worth the 30 year wait (sarcasm). And the worst part is, there's even LESS reason to do this since we have anthology films that are all about "doing different things."

Incredible Member

It's strange, the most impressive thing to me in the movie had nothing to do with luke or Rey or Poe, it was that Cruiser turning around and facing the enemy fleet and engaging light speed. Best kill shot ever. Basically a star wars version of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xOOFCltZuc&t=6m10s

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    It's called critical thinking. It helps separate the meat from the meh.

There were parts I enjoyed, but really the film wasn't that good overall. It's unfocused, moments of inane Marvel Studios humor, terrible CGI, atrocious fight choreography, the Porgs and the Nuns were crappy additions and the former only there to sell toys. Finn gets to do nothing but hide out with Eric Cartman's girlfriend. Po's rebellion-within-rebellion lead to nothing. They had two brilliant set-ups for writing Carrie out and were too chickenshit to do anything with either of them.

Kylo and Rey's arc was about the best thing about the film and generally took the story in unconventional directions...but the tug of war they had with the lightsaber was silly.

And how can someone force project holding dice?
    Till now i have been hearing only positive opinions. I watched and loved it. Thus, i was genuinely surprised to read the mostly negative opinions here. It actually was the first time i heard something negative.

I guess that's the way it is. People have different opinions. Which is fine. Let me share a few thoughts regarding your comments. Not that i can change your opinion but then we are here to discuss. Aren't we?

I think they had more plans for Carrie for the sequel. The first one had Han Solo killed. (It disappointed me so much that i did not watch a hollywood movie for months. Why take away happy and perfect endings? As i thought so about ROTJ). This one has Luke's death. I guess Leia's use of force meant she was to play a critical role and perhaps die in the next to finally close the chapter of Star Wars for the original heroes.

Finn's storyline was on the weaker side. It lead to nothing. Except for the (presumed) death of Phasma which i liked. I was not a fan of her character in the first film. So, that's something for me. He was not hiding exactly. He went on a mission which ultimately failed. But i see the failed mission in line with Empire Strikes Back. The darkest part of original trilogy. Heroes lost actually. Win was in escaping to fight another day. And the bleak ending was still full of hope.

Po's rebellion lead to nothing. That's true. But have you considered the fact that it actually showed the best of all characters involved? Po showed his leadership and initiative. It may have failed but it showed how he will become the leader of the rebels. The passing of the baton by Leia felt better in this way. Poe has showed the ability to lead and inspire. Otherwise, that section of the film would just have been a chase albeit an interesting one imo. It was also surprising wasn't it? Laura Dern's character's sacrifice then felt more stronger too. Because for a while i thought she was a bad guy. What an awesome way to go!

I felt CGI was awesome. Just my opinion. Snoke did not look like a cg character at all. However i am someone for whom CG does not matter. I loved JL. And its CG did not bother me. Except for Cavill's upper lip which was distracting. But it was not such a big deal for me. I think the cg here was simply excellent. Between JL and TLJ that's difference as between day and night.

I partially agree with you about unfocused. Parallel storyline was also there in Empire Strikes Back. With one story following Luke's training in Dagobah. And other had Han and Leia escaping from Empire. Here it had three moving parts: Rey's training, the Resistance fighting to survive and Fynn's efforts to save the Resistance. So, i felt that its alright. It kept me on my toes. It was focused even if it was unfocused as there was a lot of moving parts.

Fight choreography. I thought the best one was the team up. I enjoyed it a lot. Fight scenes were pretty good imo. But its just like this. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. You either like it or you don't like it.

I don't understand what you mean by Marvel humor. I thought Star Wars (except for the prequels) was always on the funnier side.

I think they did excellent with Porgs and the Nuns. Star Wars was always about selling toys. This was the reason why Ewoks exist. For me one of the best use of creatures was just them being there without disturbing the plot and its enjoyment. Porgs were funny. But using them more would have made them annoying. Its just the right amount. Similarly, Nuns. It makes the universe feel big and new as well as fresh. There's lot of stuff we haven't seen.

I agree about Kylo and Rey's story. That was the meat of the film. The best part of it. I really loved Luke too. I can see why some fans won't like it. But i think its just like Superman in Man of Steel. Taking a beloved character in new directions. It can turn controversial. The difference between them is i feel that this one does it really competently and satisfyingly.

About force projecting dice? I think Rian Johnson has done some unconventional stuff with the force. Something that i welcome. Force ghosts were just a presence earlier. They did not interact or influence the physical surroundings. But here Yoda managed to strike lightning. (Which was awesome btw). Luke projecting himself was something new too. If he can project himself along with his lightsaber its not too much of a stretch that he managed to force project the dice.

One of the best things here was that now Star Wars is free from this mythic kind of storytelling. About chosen ones and Skywalkers and so on. They can do so many different things from now. Which is a better idea since these films will keep coming even after my death.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 12-15-2017 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Operational security.

one guy found out and ten minutes later the First Order knew about it already.
    Nope. The First Order only knew because Finn and Rose was on the ship and DJ sold them out. Had they said what the plan was in the first place, and put Poe in check, none of that would have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post

I think they had more plans for Carrie for the sequel.
    They stated before Carrie's passing the plan was the first film to center around Han, the second Luke, and the third Leia.

It will be fun to see how/where they go now.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium