Page 58 of 74 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Even the EU-the original post-ROTJ continuity-seemed to struggle with coming up with new bad guys. After trying to create new enemies like bio-mechanical pain-obsessed aliens (In the New Jedi Order) and telepathic insects (Dark nest) they pretty much went back to the ol' Sith/Dark side/civil war well. Even further in "Legacy" which also pretty much put the Sith and the Empire back in control and the Jedi dead again(although split into two factions). Kylo Ren is more or less Darth Caedus except with no known siblings.
    I don’t know most of the EU stuff, but I did read the Zahn series. I would love if Thrawn and Mara would appear somehow. I know it won’t happen, but Thrawn would be easy to work in. Except that the first order could have to become competent then, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    the vast majority of them got wiped out by droids and a couple of sith.
    No, Clones, a cyborg, several Dark Side users.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Possibly.

The movie made the same money that Rogue One did over the holiday - the 25th, 26th, and 27th.

But it only made half of what The Force Awakens did over the same three day period.

So.
    THE FORCE AWAKENS also had several circumstantial advantages that can't be duplicated by the second film of a series.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    THE FORCE AWAKENS also had several circumstantial advantages that can't be duplicated by the second film of a series.

You mean like Star Wars? Because we just established a few posts back that Empire Strikes Back actually made almost the exact same box office for their first runs.

The Last Jedi had Luke Skywalker on screen for more than a teaser for the first time in 35 years. It did the same box office as TFA on opening, but it seems a lot of folks had mixed to poor feelings about how said Master Skywalker was used and word of mouth has its effect [especially in the age of social media].
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    You mean like Star Wars? Because we just established a few posts back that Empire Strikes Back actually made almost the exact same box office for their first runs.
    That was back when the entire STAR WARS franchise was relatively new, and was all of two movies deep.

The Last Jedi had Luke Skywalker on screen for more than a teaser for the first time in 35 years.
    People went into THE FORCE AWAKENS expecting to see much more of him than they actually got, but having already seen the return of Han and Leia, the (full) return of Luke didn't have the same intensity of anticipation that the run-up to THE FORCE AWAKENS had in terms of expectations for seeing the heroes of the Original Trilogy again. THE FORCE AWAKENS arrived at a time when there hadn't been a new STAR WARS cinematic feature in a decade. By comparison, THE LAST JEDI was the third STAR WARS movie in as many years. That *does* have a diluting effect (Law of Diminishing Returns; Familiarity Breeds Contempt). Suddenly, new STAR WARS movies were not a scarcity anymore.

It did the same box office as TFA on opening, but it seems a lot of folks had mixed to poor feelings about how said Master Skywalker was used and word of mouth has its effect [especially in the age of social media].
    I take word of mouth with a cardiac-endangering amount of salt. If I had indiscriminately listened to word of mouth without personally going to experience, I would have missed out on at least half the things that have become important to me, and my life would have been the poorer for it.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    I don’t know most of the EU stuff, but I did read the Zahn series. I would love if Thrawn and Mara would appear somehow. I know it won’t happen, but Thrawn would be easy to work in. Except that the first order could have to become competent then, lol.
    Thrawn appears in the third and fourth seasons of Rebels, as well as the new novels, although with some alterations to his backstory to make him fit more into the canon. He is also an antagonist earlier in the timeline before ANH, instead of doing his own thing during the OT (as the TIE fighter games and some side stories had him doing) or after ROTJ. He's also been tied (heh) to another EU creation, the TIE defender, a sort of super-TIE from the games, which is back in Rebels as well (and in some of the tie-in books, is revealed as partial inspiration for the First Order's TIE's including the two-pilot model and Ren's). His fate kind of remains unknown, but I suppose it's possible to work him in to post-ROTJ if Rebels doesn't kill him off.

As for Mara, despite her popularity, she's kind of closely tied to Luke so that might be problematic. Although there's still a big gap between ROTJ and TFA,
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Thrawn appears in the third and fourth seasons of Rebels, as well as the new novels, although with some alterations to his backstory to make him fit more into the canon. He is also an antagonist earlier in the timeline before ANH, instead of doing his own thing during the OT (as the TIE fighter games and some side stories had him doing) or after ROTJ. He's also been tied (heh) to another EU creation, the TIE defender, a sort of super-TIE from the games, which is back in Rebels as well (and in some of the tie-in books, is revealed as partial inspiration for the First Order's TIE's including the two-pilot model and Ren's). His fate kind of remains unknown, but I suppose it's possible to work him in to post-ROTJ if Rebels doesn't kill him off.

As for Mara, despite her popularity, she's kind of closely tied to Luke so that might be problematic. Although there's still a big gap between ROTJ and TFA,
    Or, they could always use her in Rian Johnson's spin off series.

My preference is for a more western themed Star Wars series, but I wouldn't mind if they incorporated her as sort of a Ronin Jedi/Sith. Perhaps even one cut off from the force but still carrying her lightsaber.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Just want to correct a certain misconception.

ESB didn’t really decline from ANH in its initial run because ANH did around $220 million when it was first released. ESB did around $238 million. It was subsequent re-releases that swelled up ANH gross to around $300 million + before the re-mastered releases.
    Star Wars
    Opened May 20, 1977 through Sept 1 1977
    Domestic Box office - $126 million

Re-released Oct 21-Dec 15 1977
    Domestic box office by the end of that run brought the total for the year to $195 million

The Empire Strikes Back
    Opened May 16, 1980 through August 14, 1980
    Domestic box office - $141.5 million
    There was no re-release.

Your point is correct, but the numbers are slightly off.

However, at the end of the day, worldwide, ESB ($538,375,067) made $237 million less than ANH ($775,398,007) for their respective years. That's a 30% drop.
    Last edited by AJBopp; 12-29-2017 at 07:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Star Wars

However, at the end of the day, worldwide, ESB ($538,375,067) made $237 million less than ANH ($775,398,007) for their respective years. That's a 30% drop.
    I think someone already pointed out that those numbers include theatrical re-releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Or, they could always use her in Rian Johnson's spin off series.

My preference is for a more western themed Star Wars series, but I wouldn't mind if they incorporated her as sort of a Ronin Jedi/Sith. Perhaps even one cut off from the force but still carrying her lightsaber.
    Her original appearance as a smuggler/member of Talon Kaarde's crew would actually kind of fit.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

Saw the movie on christmas eve. My take on it is: The Last Jedi narrowly edges out Empire to be the best Star Wars Movie

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    That was back when the entire STAR WARS franchise was relatively new, and was all of two movies deep.

People went into THE FORCE AWAKENS expecting to see much more of him than they actually got, but having already seen the return of Han and Leia, the (full) return of Luke didn't have the same intensity of anticipation that the run-up to THE FORCE AWAKENS had in terms of expectations for seeing the heroes of the Original Trilogy again. THE FORCE AWAKENS arrived at a time when there hadn't been a new STAR WARS cinematic feature in a decade. By comparison, THE LAST JEDI was the third STAR WARS movie in as many years. That *does* have a diluting effect (Law of Diminishing Returns; Familiarity Breeds Contempt). Suddenly, new STAR WARS movies were not a scarcity anymore.

I take word of mouth with a cardiac-endangering amount of salt. If I had indiscriminately listened to word of mouth without personally going to experience, I would have missed out on at least half the things that have become important to me, and my life would have been the poorer for it.

However, one does not have to choose between extremes anymore. Instead of saying I will or won't see the movie, one can now choose to see it later in the run when tickets are cheaper, wait for it to cone out on digital, or wait to stream it. These choices, along with less legal options, all affect the box office. When it comes to how people spend their cash, word of mouth is always a factor to consider in the market place even if it's not a factor for you personally.

Star Wars movies may be nmore common, but movies with Luke Skywalker were not and the tease at the end of a Ep 7 was built to draw in audiences for the next chapter.

Thor movies are not rare these days either, ot superhero movies, but Thor Ragnarok did the best BO of any Thor movie to date and it's his third time out of the gate. the Dark Knight surpassed Batman Begins, and it's not like there's a dearth of Batman movies. Franchise fatigue is a thing but it's more because the movies lose quality than the number of them people have seen.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Saw the movie on christmas eve. My take on it is: The Last Jedi narrowly edges out Empire to be the best Star Wars Movie
    That is a bold statement as much as I enjoyed it I would still say Empire has the top spot and not sure if they will make a Star Wars film to top it. I did enjoy they gave it a darker tone like Empire.

It only took 3 films for them to reach the 4 billion mark they paid Lucas for the rights. I know it is not all profit, but by the time Solo and 9 come around they will have already made the money they spent on it back. That is a major accomplishment in a short period of time.
    Last edited by Judge Dredd; 12-29-2017 at 01:12 PM.

wow, does kevin smith have any brain cells left in his head?
    everything is dope and shit and "stuff"
    i can see your dead eyes. wish you´d done this as your silent bob act

embarrassing, totally

Hi!
    Uh-huh... (valley girl)
    My name?
    My name is ondrya wolfson (valley girl)
    Uh-huh
    That's right, ondrya (valley girl)
    Uh-huh...
    I know
    Its like... (valley girl)
    I do not talk funny...
    I'm sure (valley girl)
    What'sa matter with the way I talk? (valley girl)
    I am a val, I know (valley girl)
    But I live like in a really good part of encino so it's okay
    (valley girl)
    Uh-huh... (valley girl)
    So like, I don't know (valley girl)
    I'm like freaking out totally (valley girl)
    Oh my god! (jersey guy)

That's going to be really like a total bummer
    I'm freaking out
    I'm sure
    Its like those things that like stick in your mouth
    They're so gross...
    You like get saliva all over them
    But like, I don't know, it's going to be cool, yknow
    So you can see my smile
    Itll be like really cool
    Except my like my teeth are like too small
    But no biggie...
    Its so awesome
    Its like tubular, yknow
    Well, I'm not like really ugly or anything
    Its just like
    I don't know
    You know me, I'm like into like the clean stuff
    Like pac-man and like, I don't know
    Like my mother like makes me do the dishes
    Its like so gross...
    Like all the stuff like sticks to the plates
    And it's like, it's like somebody elses food, yknow
    Its like grody...
    Grody to the max
    I'm sure
    Its like really nauseating
    Like barf out
    Gag me with a spoon
    Gross
    I am sure
    Totally...
    Last edited by abulafia; 12-29-2017 at 09:49 PM.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.