Page 64 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1454606162636465666768 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Ya know, it was a cool scene, but my immediate thought right after was 'Why has no one attached missiles to light drives before' or done this exact same thing before. At this rate, you'd think it would be a common tactic.
    Doing the exact same thing with the ship is dangerous for sure. One will loose the ship along with the crew. Holdo did not survive.

Missiles can be good. But it has issues. FTL travel in Star Wars involves precise calculations as seen in New Hope. Han mentioned to Luke that without that the ship can pass through a star or supernova for example. It might crash against a planet. Missiles are meant to target an enemy ship/fighter. Not a planet with inhabitants. Such missiles could be really dangerous hitting far away places where it was not meant to be. Not that the First Order or Empire before it cared for innocent people one bit. Maybe its just as simple as technology. The technology for combining the things which give a ship a faster then light speed might not be compatible with a missile.

Hyperdrive's likely too bulky to put in a missile

I posted it earlier but if ships in hyperspace can't interact with ships in real space like it's been in the past then the tactic is only viable for the limited distance it takes to make the jump, and the opposing ship can detect that your building power to make that jump, also the ship in question, the Raddus, itself was a 3.4 kilometer long ship with very powerful shields, it would be difficult to replicate the kind of impact it made without throwing away very expensive capital ships.
    Last edited by Hiromi; 01-01-2018 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guapo Méndez View Post
    I think that time will be on TLJ's side. It's not making TFA money because we were thirsty for a good Star Wars movie after the disappointing prequels. TLJ dared to go in a different direction from what we expected, showed feet of clay in every major character and dogma...
    I am very eager to see it agsin and I'm definitely going to be there for Ep. IX.
    You almost make it sound like TLJ is not well received in its time of release. It has crossed a billion within three weeks, being the highest domestic earner in the year in the same period of time, with 91% RT as well as 86 in Metacrictic. Audiences clearly like it with all scores positively good with one exception. On the other hand, a very vocal section of fans online are disliking it. A minority if we look at sheer numbers.

But that does not mean that they are wrong. If someone likes TLJ, its awesome. If someone does not like TLJ, its awesome too. While i would like to see everyone liking TLJ, films are meant to be subjective experiences. It either works or does not work for someone. If someone does not like it, that person simply does not like it. Only time will time how it would be seen in the future. I think it will do alright.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 01-01-2018 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Hyperdrive's likely too bulky to put in a missile

I posted it earlier but if ships in hyperspace can't interact with ships in real space like it's been in the past then the tactic is only viable for the limited distance it takes to make the jump, and the opposing ship can detect that your building power to make that jump, also the ship in question, the Raddus, itself was a 3.4 kilometer long ship with very powerful shields, it would be difficult to replicate the kind of impact it made without throwing away very expensive capital ships.
    In the current continuity, they used skipper missiles that jumped around at light speed.

They were pretty ineffective against capital ships during the Clone Wars because they didn't have enough mass but ripped up smaller snub fighters.

Plus expensive as Hell to arm, fuel, and crazy inaccurate. Basically had to have an astromech droid run one and the droids didn't like that.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

Once again. I'll say 60% of the Last Jedis Issues lay with US, the fans. Too many expectations and wanting NO change...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    In the current continuity, they used skipper missiles that jumped around at light speed.
    You got a link for those? I'm not finding anything.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    Once again. I'll say 60% of the Last Jedis Issues lay with US, the fans. Too many expectations and wanting NO change...
    I will be quite unapologetic about the admission that is why I won't be seeing this film. Well, that's not completely accurate. I just don't care for a particular change they decided to go with. I was actually looking forward to the changes they already had in place, but the direction they went in this film is not a place I want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    Can't answer for everyone, but for me, that's dead wrong. Actually, the opposite is true: I wanted more change and more risks than they were willing to take.

The Mexican James Bond Guapo Méndez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    Disagree with that. I think it'll be seen as on a par with the prequels.
    God, no. No Jar-Jar, to drag it down from Episode I; no space dinner, from Episode II; no "the younglings" from Episode III. I say it is head and shoulders above it.

The Mexican James Bond Guapo Méndez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    You almost make it sound like TLJ is not well received in its time of release. It has crossed a billion within three weeks, being the highest domestic earner in the year in the same period of time, with 91% RT as well as 86 in Metacrictic. Audiences clearly like it with all scores positively good with one exception. On the other hand, a very vocal section of fans online are disliking it. A minority if we look at sheer numbers.

But that does not mean that they are wrong. If someone likes TLJ, its awesome. If someone does not like TLJ, its awesome too. While i would like to see everyone liking TLJ, films are meant to be subjective experiences. It either works or does not work for someone. If someone does not like it, that person simply does not like it. Only time will time how it would be seen in the future. I think it will do alright.
    I did a comparison between TFA and TLJ: in 18 days, TFA made 750 million, compared to TLJ's 500+. It is not making the same bank and people from my circle, SW Fans from 77 had mixed reactions. I myself have inly seen it ince, compared to the 3 times I saw TFA. It polarized, sure, but to me, it was good.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    You'd think the prequels were mapped out looking at ROTJ and reading the novelization, but then whatever material Lucas had he largely jettisoned.

Obi-Wan says in ROTJ "I took it upon myself to train [Anakin] in the ways of the Jedi." But Ep1 shows Qui-Gon guilting him into training him with a lame attempt to make the line true in a brief scene with Yoda.

Leia says she remembers her mother, but she actually doesn't.

Obi-Wan says Yoda was his master, but he was Qui-Gon's apprentice.

Nor, in the prequels, did Obi-Wan ever seem to 'serve' Bail Organa during the Clone Wars.

It's all very messed up.
    The last two can sort of be explained-Obi-Wan was probably part of the "youngling" class at one point, while Qui-Gon was his 'field' master. I get the sense that Yoda probably retired from that kind of thing after training Dooku.

As for the Bail Organa thing, I guess he can mean he served under the senate, although CW does have the two involved in a few missions together (one of Clone War's "Fixes" for plot holes in the films). Remember we only really see the beginning and close to the end of the war in the actual films.

All this hyperspace speculation makes me wonder though, didn't Starkiller's beams travel through hyperspace technically? There's no evidence that it was actually in the hosnian system, since you'd figure they'd noticed a whole planet and some star destroyers popping up. Plus they could see the beam from Maz's planet.....

Granted, the Star Wars distances have always been a bit weird. Since the Millenium Falcon's hyperdrive doesn't work in ESB, is Bespin's system right next to Hoth? Wouldn't the rebels think twice about establishing a secret base practically right next to a populated mining colony? Plus there's the Falcon being possibly on the other side of the galaxy according to Piett, and possibly OUT of the galaxy at the end of the film!

According to some of the reference books, it is a hyperspace weapon, "hyperspace tunneling" or something like that.

Plus, this is J.J Abrams (Who still produced TLJ) we're talking about, whose Star Trek reboots featured some weird science already.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 01-02-2018 at 07:06 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    It's probably due to the cost of lives involved. It was one thing for Admiral Holdo to do that as the only living being on her ship, but I think it would have given her some pause if she had an entire crew aboard with her. It's not something one would want to do every day.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    They have auto-pilot in SW, and we've established that there are those who are willing to sacrifice themselves for the greater good (heck RO was all about that by the end). And if it only takes one person to operate the ship, well there you go.

And why doesn't the FO use it? They don't care about the lives of their soldiers/pilots, and the latter are pretty much brainwashed since birth to be loyal.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I think it will take years to unpack TLJ's legacy. Some people who love it now will come to see it differently over time. Others who absolutely hate it will one day see it as being among the best SW films. It's the kind of movie that really defies a binary thumbs up/thumbs down judgment. It's almost more like a relationship than a film, where the things that you love about it are mixed up with the traits that drive you crazy.

My opinions aren't fully settled, and I doubt they ever will be. I go back and forth between extremes.

It's one of the best films in the entire series, but I'm not sure yet whether it works as Episode VIII in a nine-chapter saga about the Skywalkers. It seems to me that some of the things Rian Johnson is trying to accomplish would be better served by the separate trilogy he's developing. I don't feel like it's necessary to taint Luke's legacy to broaden the scope of the Star Wars universe beyond the Skywalkers. Of course, to what extent Luke's legacy has been tarnished is up for debate, but I see no reason why he couldn't have been a successful mentor figure given all the wisdom he'd acquired from Obi-Wan, Yoda, and even his father's failures.

Another thing that struck me is how they really set up Luke to be this shameful coward. And I don't mean that out of character crap he pulled with Kylo Ren. What he did is something that Leia an Han should have chewed his ass out for. But Han said that Snoke turned Ben. You would think that Leia would at least give Rey a warning that Luke may not be receptive to help with anything because he's broken. So that means that he chose to disappear off the face of the galaxy, and told no one what he did. That means that he didn't just for a moment think of killing his nephew, it means he also punked out and didn't tell his sister and brother in law what happened. Or told them the truth from a certain point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    They have auto-pilot in SW, and we've established that there are those who are willing to sacrifice themselves for the greater good (heck RO was all about that by the end). And if it only takes one person to operate the ship, well there you go.

And why doesn't the FO use it? They don't care about the lives of their soldiers/pilots, and the latter are pretty much brainwashed since birth to be loyal.
    What about the ship? The ramming ship would be damaged for sure. First Order and the Empire may not be much concerned about the lives of their fighters. But a ship is definitely more valuable then being used for once.

And Resistance is not just about sacrificing themselves. There's a difference between being suicidal and sacrificing for the sake of others. Leaders who care for the people whom they lead, would not allow something which is essentially suicide. Yes they often go against incredible odds which almost looks like they are courting death. But that's the case with any war. There is always a chance to live in any military mission. But something like this has zero chance of survival.

Quote Originally Posted by Guapo Méndez View Post
    I did a comparison between TFA and TLJ: in 18 days, TFA made 750 million, compared to TLJ's 500+. It is not making the same bank and people from my circle, SW Fans from 77 had mixed reactions. I myself have inly seen it ince, compared to the 3 times I saw TFA. It polarized, sure, but to me, it was good.
    Comparing TLJ to TFA is not a good exercise. TFA had a lot of things going for it. Factors, more then the film itself. It was the first Star Wars film in a decade. The original trilogy stars were returning after 30 years. It was released to almost no competition. A lot of things combined to make it over perform. TLJ does not have a lot of these factors. Combine this with the fact that it is not that kind of a crowd pleaser as TFA was. TFA was not that serious or had a downer ending like this. So, combine all these factors and a number like this makes all sense. Sequels do not necessarily perform better then the original. Star Wars itself is an example. Both Empire Strikes Back and Attack of The Clones grossed lesser then the previous films.

So, yes there can be a discussion that it is not performing as we expected. But if we keep expectations to the side it is hard to argue that is not doing great. Not being that kind of pleasing film many have seen only once. And while disappointed fans may be in the minority, they are of a good number. Seeing all this i would call it a success. Not that kind of success as TFA. Nor does it need to be. Seeing the internet it seems like it is divisive. But the truth is its not. Being Star Wars any of the negative opinions, which granted it has more then TFA, is getting magnified.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 01-02-2018 at 10:38 AM.