Page 65 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1555616263646566676869 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MagnusRex View Post
    Another thing that struck me is how they really set up Luke to be this shameful coward. And I don't mean that out of character crap he pulled with Kylo Ren. What he did is something that Leia an Han should have chewed his ass out for. But Han said that Snoke turned Ben. You would think that Leia would at least give Rey a warning that Luke may not be receptive to help with anything because he's broken. So that means that he chose to disappear off the face of the galaxy, and told no one what he did. That means that he didn't just for a moment think of killing his nephew, it means he also punked out and didn't tell his sister and brother in law what happened. Or told them the truth from a certain point of view.
    Luke was just following his mentors when going gets rough you pick a planet to hide on away from the world just like Yoda and Obi-Wan. Luke has surpassed them as he did not pick a desert or a swamp to hide in he went with an actual nice location. The jedi are naturally cowards when things get rough they run they have proven this time after time. Basically they are hardcore failures who did not protect the universe and could not redeem themselves. At least Luke understood this and tried to end the jedi order knowing that they are useless and failures. Rey would be better off training elsewhere so she can become something better then a jedi something that actually matters.
    Last edited by Judge Dredd; 01-02-2018 at 11:10 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Luke was just following his mentors when going gets rough you pick a planet to hide on away from the world just like Yoda and Obi-Wan. Luke has surpassed them as he did not pick a desert or a swamp to hide in he went with an actual nice location. The jedi are naturally cowards when things get rough they run they have proven this time after time. Basically they are hardcore failures who did not protect the universe and could not redeem themselves. At least Luke understood this and tried to end the jedi order knowing that they are useless and failures. Rey would be better off training elsewhere so she can become something better then a jedi something that actually matters.
    Obi Wan and Yoda both went into hiding with the idea that Luke or Leia would grow up to be powerful Jedi like Anakin and they'd have a chance to take down Vader and the Emperor with an ally like that. Yoda had his shot at the Emperor and failed Obi Wan had his shot at Anakin and won but it was a hollow victory.

Yoda and Obi Wan hid to preserve their religion from a tyranny that was actively trying to completely wipe them out. Luke hid because he was a coward.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Yoda and Obi Wan hid to preserve their religion from a tyranny that was actively trying to completely wipe them out. Luke hid because he was a coward.
    I had the impression he was disillusioned....

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    Disagree with that. I think it'll be seen as on a par with the prequels.
    No chance. Its too well-received critically to go down in league with the Prequels. Everyone's opinion is their own and valid but if we're talking a long-term general reputation, critical reception goes a long way in establishing that just as much as general audience response. When general audience response is mixed, and critical analysis is huge acclaim, then well, that lends to the idea its place in history will fare differently (better) than a group of films that were not only largely negatively received by the fanbase, but also critically panned.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Obi Wan and Yoda both went into hiding with the idea that Luke or Leia would grow up to be powerful Jedi like Anakin and they'd have a chance to take down Vader and the Emperor with an ally like that. Yoda had his shot at the Emperor and failed Obi Wan had his shot at Anakin and won but it was a hollow victory.
    They were not waiting for Luke they were hiding at best Obi-Wan was watching over Luke so his father did not find him, but he had no plans to train Luke. In the end after being convinced by Luke Obi-Wan did decide to help Luke train, but Yoda would have remained in the swamp alone till death he had no plans of fighting or helping. They are both cowards who ran from an angry little boy who had his mother killed and betrayed them. They fought until they could escape and then they hid neither made any attempt after to help or assist the rebels. No way around it they are cowards and Luke simply followed his leaders. Obi-Wan also had the chance to finish off Anakin and was not man enough to take responsibility and put an end to him when he had a chance. I have always enjoyed the movies, but the jedi are some of the most unimpressive/useless heroes in film.
    Last edited by Judge Dredd; 01-02-2018 at 02:51 PM.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Yeah. Luke was afraid, but not for himself...only that if the teaching of Rey didn't go well, he will have compounded his failure with Ben Solo by unleashing a SECOND powerful Dark Side user upon the Galaxy.

Luke remained one of the most proficient practitioners of the Force, but after what had happened with Ben, was broken in terms of his confidence in his ability to properly instruct a disciple.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

The Mexican James Bond Guapo Méndez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Yeah. Luke was afraid, but not for himself...only that if the teaching of Rey didn't go well, he will have compounded his failure with Ben Solo by unleashing a SECOND powerful Dark Side user upon the Galaxy.

Luke remained one of the most proficient practitioners of the Force, but after what had happened with Ben, was broken in terms of his confidence in his ability to properly instruct a disciple.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Luke with PTSD was shocking to me. When I realized he had that, made me appreciate the movie even more.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    The obvious difference would be making functioning shields is a lost skill [how many people do you know who even know the proper materials required, let alone have the skill to make them] while there is no shortage of people in the Star Wars universe who can build missiles and hyper-engines.

Also - the shield defense wouldn't work against a horde. The walkers don't suffer morale, and would just keep piling up against the shield wall. Their bodies would get impaled on the spears unless you make a head shot and the weight would drag the weapon down. Sheer mass of bodies pushing against the shields would eventually see the line buckle.
    I guess.. but it's a lot easier to make a shield than some of the other things that frequently get done instead. I did mention pikes, though. spears are very frequently thrown and much shorter than a pike. pike's are also normally used as part of a combined-arms formation battle.

yes, a well-made shield that can be used over and over again in melee combat does require skill and resources. but grabbing a riot shield on the ground, or improvising a basic shield shouldn't be THAT difficult!

and I suppose the whole point of zombies is that they attack in endless hordes from every direction. you're more likely to get attacked by 300 zombies than 20. even so... a bit of variety would be nice.

as for Star Wars: since it's all pretty clearly inspired by Hollywood depictions of WW2... I guess they've got an excuse for it. WW2 short-range battles are more fun to watch than long-range stand-off weapons that can be fired well beyond visual range.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I thought he was in exile because he was just afraid that he would flip out again. He chose avoidance of the (Ben) issue.

He might have been right. He was Darth Vader's son after all, and he probably knew about the whole Sand People incident.

But he should have gotten help with his problems instead of running from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    They were not waiting for Luke they were hiding at best Obi-Wan was watching over Luke so his father did not find him, but he had no plans to train Luke. In the end after being convinced by Luke Obi-Wan did decide to help Luke train, but Yoda would have remained in the swamp alone till death he had no plans of fighting or helping. They are both cowards who ran from an angry little boy who had his mother killed and betrayed them. They fought until they could escape and then they hid neither made any attempt after to help or assist the rebels. No way around it they are cowards and Luke simply followed his leaders. Obi-Wan also had the chance to finish off Anakin and was not man enough to take responsibility and put an end to him when he had a chance. I have always enjoyed the movies, but the jedi are some of the most unimpressive/useless heroes in film.
    Obi Wan is the one that tells Luke he needs to train which Luke declines.

Yoda says he has been keeping an eye on Luke, too.

They ran and hid because they were actively being hunted.

Luke messed up with one dude which was lure to the dark side and did nothing. Luke did not have an Empire after him, in fact, Luke had the resources something almost as big as an Empire to stop this and did nothing.

Fantastic Member Red Robe Jaldari's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    Once again. I'll say 60% of the Last Jedis Issues lay with US, the fans. Too many expectations and wanting NO change...

Just let there be more randomness in terms of who saves the galaxy, no need to tell us about it how some were wrong to embrace the Chosen One nonsense.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guapo Méndez View Post
    Luke with PTSD was shocking to me. When I realized he had that, made me appreciate the movie even more.
    Seriously!?

Obi-Wan Kenobi lost almost every friend he had in one day of bloody betrayal, the troops he fought beside for years tried to murder him, his best friend and the student he trained became an merciless monster and helped the most evil man in the Galaxy destroy everything Obi-Wan had fought to protect...

...and he STILL never gave up.

Is Luke Skywalker really THAT MUCH LESS RESILIENT?!

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Obi Wan is the one that tells Luke he needs to train which Luke declines.

Yoda says he has been keeping an eye on Luke, too.

They ran and hid because they were actively being hunted.

Luke messed up with one dude which was lure to the dark side and did nothing. Luke did not have an Empire after him, in fact, Luke had the resources something almost as big as an Empire to stop this and did nothing.
    YES! THIS!
    Last edited by brettc1; 01-03-2018 at 04:47 AM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

So it occurs to me that Luke is the only character in the entire film with a plan that actually works (unless we count Holdo's suicide run).

Luke's big moment, in 16-bit glory: