Page 9 of 74 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    I felt Finn was better utilized in TFA (And i was underwhelmed by that movie), i'm trying to figure out if Finn and Rey are platonic cause writers got cold feet about shipping them?, or is they planning on a disastrous relationship with her and Keylo??? I really don't understand where they're going with that relationship clusterfuck.
    I don't necessarily think it has to be a situation of cold feet, it could just be they never had plans for romance in regards to Rey's character in the first place. And just because they're not doing anything with Rey and Finn doesn't mean they're going to do anything with Rey and Kylo. Could very well be Rey simply will not have a love interest in this trilogy. Which is more than fine. Luke didn't either after the first act of Empire when it became clear it was Han/Leia.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Are the Rotten Tomatoes critics out of touch with the Rotten Tomatoes audience or is the audience out of touch with the critics? What say ye?

Justice League:
    Critics 40% Audience 80%

Star Wars: The Last Jedi
    Certified Fresh Critics 93% Audience 56%, tipped popcorn tub

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/justice_league_2017

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sta..._the_last_jedi
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Oh dear a bunch of angry fanboys are doing some review-bombing. Whatever could it mean????
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    I'm interested if anyone thinks that 70,000 actual people actually took the time to register and rate something on Rotten Tomatoes that's been out for a bit over 24 hours

the audience score is useless, it's useless on basically any of the review sites, it's in no way whatsoever even close to an actual usable poll
    Hilariously, the IMBD score from the audience is 82%.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Hilariously, the IMBD score from the audience is 82%.
    The most accurate will be Cinemascore when it's released.

Are the Rotten Tomatoes critics out of touch with the Rotten Tomatoes audience or is the audience out of touch with the critics? What say ye?

Justice League:
    Critics 40% Audience 80%

Audience score in Rotten Tomatoes is unreliable. There is no way to verify that the person voting there have actually seen the movie. I can also have multiple accounts by which i can vote. Its not a reliable metric as it can be manipulated. The true audience score is Cinemascore. In this they actually verify the people who have seen the film, and one viewer has one vote.

Its possible that audiences disliked it. One has to wait to see Cinemascore. If its in the range of A-/A/A+ then its good enough. Audiences liked it. However, if it is in scores of B+ and less that means audiences are divided. BvS had a score of B. One can easily see that it was not liked by the audience confirmed by its drops and weak multiplier in the absence of competition.

Reading from the posts here i am seeing that fans of Star Wars are divided. A lot of them are hating it. So, its not really surprising to see a low audience score in RT. As fans are the ones who mostly vote there. But i am not sure about the general audience.Waiting to see Cinemascore. It would be a pity if its disliked by the audience. While i loved The Force Awakens it kept to the familiar and safe side. If the film is disliked by the people it will show in the box office. And Star Wars may again go back to familiar territory. Not bad but not what i want after the exciting promise films after TLJ show.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 12-15-2017 at 08:20 PM.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

When the Original Trilogy introduced the three principal characters, they appeared in this order: Leia, Luke, and Han.

Now, they are leaving in reverse order: Han (THE FORCE AWAKENS), Luke (THE LAST JEDI), Leia? (EPISODE IX).

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Another thing that i didn't like was that you have to read novels, comic books, and play video games to get most of testory. Ifeel that's unfair to general audiences. I'm a Star Wars fan so i kinda expected this, but it still leads a bad taste in my mouth, it's almost the equivalent of loot boxes, and DLC for films.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post

And honestly, the First Order must be seriously decimated by the end of this movie. In the space of about four days they have lost Star Killer Base, Snoke's flagship, a dreadnought, several Star Destoyers and what would have to be literally tens of thousands of personnel.
    The DLC for the Battlefront 2 Star Wars games says otherwise. They apparently have a force strong enough to retake the whole galaxy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    The most accurate will be Cinemascore when it's released.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Audience score in Rotten Tomatoes is unreliable. There is no way to verify that the person voting there have actually seen the movie. I can also have multiple accounts by which i can vote. Its not a reliable metric as it can be manipulated. The true audience score is Cinemascore. In this they actually verify the people who have seen the film, and one viewer has one vote.

Its possible that audiences disliked it. One has to wait to see Cinemascore. If its in the range of A-/A/A+ then its good enough. Audiences liked it. However, if it is in scores of B+ and less that means audiences are divided. BvS had a score of B. One can easily see that it was not liked by the audience confirmed by its drops and weak multiplier in the absence of competition.

Reading from the posts here i am seeing that fans of Star Wars are divided. A lot of them are hating it. So, its not really surprising to see a low audience score in RT. As fans are the ones who mostly vote there. But i am not sure about the general audience.Waiting to see Cinemascore. It would be a pity if its disliked by the audience. While i loved The Force Awakens it kept to the familiar and safe side. If the film is disliked by the people it will show in the box office. And Star Wars may again go back to familiar territory. Not bad but not what i want after the exciting promise films after TLJ show.
    Well the Fandango score is at 4.3/5 and had to have bought a ticket to write a review. There's 2000 ish reviews right now.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    Another thing that i didn't like was that you have to read novels, comic books, and play video games to get most of testory. Ifeel that's unfair to general audiences. I'm a Star Wars fan so i kinda expected this, but it still leads a bad taste in my mouth, it's almost the equivalent of loot boxes, and DLC for films.
    Wait, really? The extent of my Star Wars knowledge is the movies. I don't remember anything from the Clone Wars, I've never seen Rebels, and Rogue One is the most of an EU story I have so far. And I had no trouble keeping up with the scale of the story nor the introduction of the new ones. It was pretty straight forward to me.

I mean, I'm essentially Lucille Bluth:

On the contrary, while TFA maybe relied too much on the OT, and while it's perfectly understandable for a Star Wars movie to depend on the events of the previous movie, this one by far depended on TFA and not much else. Sure, there'd be references or easter eggs to older movies, but they were either pop culture references (Help Me Obi Wan Kenobi), or not all that important to the overall plot (or subplots, for that matter).

BANNED

Justice League:
    Critics 40% Audience 80%

Critics (when they do their job correctly) critique a movie based on how well the various elements are done - acting, directing, cinematography, writing, etc.

Audiences respond based on whether they had a good time.

"Out of touch" is large a non-issue. The two groups aren't grading the same things.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Wait, really? The extent of my Star Wars knowledge is the movies. I don't remember anything from the Clone Wars, I've never seen Rebels, and Rogue One is the most of an EU story I have so far. And I had no trouble keeping up with the scale of the story nor the introduction of the new ones. It was pretty straight forward to me.
    That's not what i meant, i'm talking about in terms of Phasma, The First Order itself, and likely Snoke.

That's not what i meant, i'm talking about in terms of Phasma, The First Order itself, and likely Snoke.
    Again, I still don't feel that, especially given that the OT gave us virtually no idea on the origins of the Empire or Palpatine. Boba Fett was trashed even harder than Phasma and he became a pop culture legend in the 90s. While it was only the EU that expanded on all of that, the major developments were made well after the OT, and even then the OT succeeded in telling a complete story well before the EU made that mythology.

Close your eyes and flashback to 1983. There was no EU on the scale of today. Star Wars was big and legendary. You felt great after watching the movies. But you didn't need resource books and novels and comics to fully appreciate the whole quest that lead our heroes from the opening crawl of ANH to the celebration dance on Endor. The Emperor was powerful and evil and the puppet behind Vader, and that's all you needed to know -- nothing in the OT ever spoke about his time as a Senator nor his title of Darth Sidious. Jabba the Hutt was a space gangster, no mention at all about his climb to power. Lando was an old gambling buddy of Han's, not a man of intrigue. The Falcon was simply Han and Chewie's trusty vessel, not a decades-old junker. And, lo and behold, even if you went 10-20 years later, the box office for the OT (both original and any re-releases) far outpaced any readership of any Star Wars EU, ever, meaning more people watched the movies than people who watched the movies + read the EU.

Lucas and others made up that lore to help them write out the movies beforehand (and that's perfectly fine!), but it was not outright mentioned in the OT because it was unnecessary. Nobody outside of the cast and crew knew these things, because the general audience didn't need it to fully appreciate the classics that would become the OT. Every film critic and studio head and committee member in Hollywood who nominated a Star Wars film for a Best Picture award or Top 10 list during the year of release didn't need to know Han Solo's origins to justify voting the top awards to the movie.

I blame Lucasfilm and now Disney for this, but seriously, not every character needs their backstory told. I liked Rogue One but there's a reason why it's not counted as one of the primary movies. It, like Snoke or Phasma or Fett or Palpatine or Jabba, is auxiliary entertainment, not the main dish.
    Last edited by Cyke; 12-15-2017 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Again, I still don't feel that, especially given that the OT gave us virtually no idea on the origins of the Empire or Palpatine.
    In terms of making a good story things like that are important TO ME at least. TFA plot was absurdly paper thin.

BANNED

In terms of making a good story things like that are important TO ME at least. TFA plot was absurdly paper thin.
    All Star Wars movie plots were extremely thin, except for Attack of the Clones - and many people don't want to admit that one.

I tend to disagree. I am not a Star Wars fan in a strict sense. The only things i watched before this were the Episodes 1 to 7 in the main saga and the animated clone wars: the five minute shorts which chronicled stories between Attack of The Clones and Revenge of The Sith. In fact, i haven't even seen Rogue One till now. Though after loving TLJ i am getting that. In my opinion it is quite easy to follow for those who have watched the original trilogy and The Force Awakens.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Well the Fandango score is at 4.3/5 and had to have bought a ticket to write a review. There's 2000 ish reviews right now.
    Thanks for informing me about that. I did not know about Fandango. Looks legit enough when one has to purchase a ticket to write a review.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 12-15-2017 at 10:57 PM.