Page 1 of 58 123451151 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default Star Wars The Last Jedi *SPOILERS*

This thread is for people who have already seen The Last Jedi. DO NOT SPOIL THIS MOVIE FOR YOURSELF. Watch the movie first then come back here.

Wow. That movie was great. It felt like the second and third parts of the trilogy squashed together. So much great stuff to chew on. I absolutely was not expecting one of the many major deaths here. This movie had twists and turns beyond what I was expecting, although the final twist was pretty easy to figure out if you noticed that the hair was noticeably darker.

Poe's journey from cocky flyboy to what, I assume, will be the new leader of the Resistance was very nicely played. It's a shame that Leia won't get to finish out her truncated storyarc, but, if this is indeed her final appearance as the character, it is certainly a nice way to go out. Her scene out in space is breathtaking. A shame they won't be able to follow up on it in live action. Hopefully, animation or the books flesh this out more.

Rose Tico is a revelation. Nice to see the people on the fringes of this sprawling space opera get some long overdue attention. Her relationship with Finn felt genuine and earned. I also thought Finn's character arc worked wonderfully. I'm glad he didn't suddenly go from self-centered deserter to paragon of virtue. He's still that same conflicted guy from Force Awakens.

Luke, Rey and Ben are really the beating heart of this movie and I think they managed to pull off a particularly tricky series of story beats and flashbacks with real weight and emotion. I know some fans will hate it, but I found it completely satisfying.

Really looking forward to seeing how people react to this movie.

Spectacular Member

Respectfully, I have an opposite opinion.

I feel gut punched. This looked like a Star Wars movie, but this did not have the Star Wars "feel"...which to me is everything. I was so afraid that when Disney started making SW movies again, that they wouldn't get the most important part...the "feel", right.

But with The Force Awakens, J.J. Abrams was able to capture that "feel". With this movie...it isn't there.

Star Wars is a part of me, and has been for almost 40 years. But it's now...regrettably, really regrettably...gone. And it so sucks to say that.

To me, the lack of the all-important Star Wars "feel" trumped everything...I was taken out of really caring much about the story because of it. People lived, people died, ships fired lasers, blew up, Jedi powers were used.

It as more like an episode of REBELS.

Extraordinary Member

I'm seriously conflicted on this film right now. A lot of that comes from me getting overhyped and over-involved in the wrong things; the fact my signature includes a link of hour-long speculation on who Rey's parents are should explain just what I mean.

On the plus side, Johnson clearly still has a deft hand with character interactions and dialogue. He also has some amazing moments of visual storytelling. The scene where Rey sees herself when asking the Force Mirror who her parents are is clearly a good visual clue for highlighting how she's standing on her own. The fight scene with Snoke's guards and Ren's ascension to Supreme Leader is very well done. And of course, John Williams's music and Johnson's directing for Luke fading away was beautiful...

...But at the same time, I currently feel disappointed in a lot of it. This could very well change drastically later, since I recognize a lot of the plot elements are simply of a slightly different philosophy than what I expected. But I really find most of Finn, Rose, Poe, and DJ's plot to be a Trapped By Mountain Lions misstep. Literally two sentences from Holdo would have ceased that plot before it was even really conceived. The actors do excellent work (especially BDT on his without-the-casting-insignificant character) but Finn feels underserved compared to the last film, Rose is only barely interesting thanks to her actress doing a good job, and Poe's mutiny feels like a face palm moment in hindsight. There's also something frustrating about the logistics of the film's military: The Raddus can get far enough away from the FO fleet to protect itself from turbo lasers and fighters, but can't pull away even further, while the FO has no ship capable of catching up to support the fighters?

And I feel like disputing the merits of keeping Rey's parentage a secret for this long if our answer was always Jakku-trash, or of her power continuing to be hyped up and made equal to Ren's without some commentary, or of having Luke's story be so morose and his legacy being tarnished, or of how Snoke still seems to mostly just be an empty Palpatine-archetype without much to differentiate him on a core level, or of how, while Luke and Kylo's breaking point is a good dramatic moment, it's clearly still only the tale end of whatever caused Kylo to fall.

I need to wait and re-evaluate this thing.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Just got back from watching it and I think my expectations were way too high for this movie. Because of that, I kind of felt a little let down. It wasn't as great as I thought it was going to be, but it was still a very, very good movie. There were some things I liked and some I didn't.

The biggest disappointment for me was the end with how they handled Luke. NONE OF THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN AN ILLUSION! Luke should have actually been there. It would have carried more weight and they missed the boat on having Kylo and Luke play the same scene out that Vader and Ben did in New Hope. Not only that, but the scene where they were blasting him with energy weapons? If he HAD actually been there physically would have made Luke look very, very powerful. Him just fading away like Yoda on a planet far away afterwards felt hollow. I just didn't like that. It was a real letdown when they revealed it was just an illusion by Luke.

I also didn't like how they kept hammering home the fact that Luke had become so disillusioned with the power of the force and the Jedi order. He should have come around and trained Rey, and I guess he still can if he can do what Yoda, Ben and Vader do. But again, it would have been better if he had trained her. The end was a redeeming point for Luke, which was good. But they really knocked him down low and he seemed like an unappealing, pale version of his old self. I get that he felt shame and responsible for Kylo, but he had a chance to redeem himself right away when Rey showed up and he refused to train her. That just didn't make any sense.

And I knew, KNEW, they were not going to reveal who Rey's parents were and Snoke's identity. Where he came from, how he got to his position of power, etc. Two BIG points that all the fans wanted to know and they failed in that respect. Horribly. Kylo is clearing lying about Rey's parents just being some random nobodies. Heck, he didn't even know she existed until the Force Awakens. Now we have to wait until the next movie to find out the answers to those two questions and it's a complete failure on their part.

Now, the things I loved about this movie:

-Snoke's death. It was very clever and sneaky how Kylo killed him. He knew he couldn't take Snoke one on one. So he was smart about it and did it the best way possible. Having said that, they built up this big bad only to kill him off without a huge showdown and battle. It was still cool though.

-Luke's last stand against Kylo and his forces. It was so cool and would have been even better if he had actually been there doing what he was doing. Still loved it though.

-Kylo and Rey's battle with Snoke's personal guard. Am I right to assume that they were the other six Jedis that Luke said Kylo took from the temple? They never said, but I kind of got the impression that they were those six. Anyhow, it was a very cool and visually amazing fight scene.

-The humor in the show was just right. I know some fans will complain that it went overboard, but I thought the scenes that were supposed to be funny, were actually funny. Some of it was hilarious.

All in all, it was a great movie. I think I like the Force Awakens a little better though.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    This thread is for people who have already seen The Last Jedi. DO NOT SPOIL THIS MOVIE FOR YOURSELF. Watch the movie first then come back here.

Wow. That movie was great. It felt like the second and third parts of the trilogy squashed together. So much great stuff to chew on. I absolutely was not expecting one of the many major deaths here. This movie had twists and turns beyond what I was expecting, although the final twist was pretty easy to figure out if you noticed that the hair was noticeably darker.

Poe's journey from cocky flyboy to what, I assume, will be the new leader of the Resistance was very nicely played. It's a shame that Leia won't get to finish out her truncated storyarc, but, if this is indeed her final appearance as the character, it is certainly a nice way to go out. Her scene out in space is breathtaking. A shame they won't be able to follow up on it in live action. Hopefully, animation or the books flesh this out more.

Rose Tico is a revelation. Nice to see the people on the fringes of this sprawling space opera get some long overdue attention. Her relationship with Finn felt genuine and earned. I also thought Finn's character arc worked wonderfully. I'm glad he didn't suddenly go from self-centered deserter to paragon of virtue. He's still that same conflicted guy from Force Awakens.

Luke, Rey and Ben are really the beating heart of this movie and I think they managed to pull off a particularly tricky series of story beats and flashbacks with real weight and emotion. I know some fans will hate it, but I found it completely satisfying.

Respectfully, I felt almost the exact opposite after seeing this film.

Just got back from seeing the movie...its a solid C for me. I need to think over more what I liked and didn't like about the movie but right now I feel kinda meh after seeing it. It appears that the main goal of this new trilogy is to deconstruct everything we think we know about the universe, about the Force, about the Jedi and the true nature of good and evil. This is accomplished to mixed effect in the movie. I personally felt Luke's arc in the movie was extremely weak, we are told time and time again why he has shut himself off from the universe, but we are never shown Luke's pain and inner turmoil. Likewise, there were a few glaring plotholes in the movie that took me out of the reality of watching the film and quite honestly, I just didn't really care much for many of the characters. As a humongous Star Wars fan it hurts me to say that I'm not sure I'm looking forward to the next one in the series after this movie.

I do agree that Rey and Luke are the beating heart of this movie,but I would disagree that many of the story beats had both weight and emotion. Rose's relationship with Finn, felt really superficial to me as well, but overally I do beleive that Finn's character was handled better this go around. Poe's characterization was a near disaster in this movie, he was seriously a pain in the hindparts for most of the movie, to the point that I wanted to slap him. His growth into a supposed leader of the Resistance, didn't feel organic, he was still a knucklehead up until the final twenty minutes of the film. I'm sorry, I feel kinda sucker punched after this film. At least with the prequels, I knew they sucked, this one, was just meh, which is harder to deal with. as a previous poster said, this movie just didn't feel Star Warsy at all. The joy and thrill of the universe felt sucked out.

Went to see it tonight, and I hate to say it...I'm kinda disappointed...
    Between Snoke dying so easily and cheaply (not to mention you never find out WHO or WHAT he is ), to Rey's parent's being nobodies (no connection to Skywalkers or Solos) and thinking Kylo and Rey were joining forces and suddenly Kylo's evil again... It's an ok movie but I can't see where people are saying this is the best SW since Empire.....

Just got home from it, and I kind of feel like I'm going to need to think before I decide how I feel about the movie as a whole. I liked it, but I'm not sure how much.

My first reactions
    Pacing wasn't as tight as it was in episode 7, but it also did a lot to set this trilogy apart from the original, which is good
    I liked that after all the speculation Rey has no part in the Skywalker lineage
    Seeing practical puppet Yoda back was such a breath of fresh air, felt more like Yoda than any of the Prequel movies did
    Rey and Kylo fighting back to back may be the single best lightsaber scene to date, choreography was breath taking
    Kylo betraying Snoke but then refusing to actually do a heel/face turn was a nice way of subverting any RotJ parallels
    Act 4 on the Salt planet was incredible visually
    the movies continue to be about the new characters and it does feel like they're all developing nicely

Kylo was lying to Rey about her parents.

His plan after touching her was to replace Snoke BECAUSE he knew who her parents are. She's a Skywalker. He thought that meant super evil but Kyle doesn't understand the good part of being a Skywalker.

Snoke was a super powered Dark Side force of nature. We know enough about him, just like the Emperor. The Emperor got thrown down a shaft after his second appearance and all we knew was that he was the super powered Emperor that turned Vader.

Geez people. Star Wars has simple plots. Stop over thinking it.

Pretty sure Force Ghost Yoda and Luke will explain more about Snoke, the fall of the Jedi, and Luke's temple while training his daughter to take down Supreme Leader Kylo.

I love that Star Wars took a bold turn.

I just wish Carrie Fischer was alive to get her send off movie.

BTW: best shot composition and direction in a Star Wars movie since Empire.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 12-15-2017 at 12:51 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Kylo was lying to Rey about her parents.
    I don't think so. I think they are pulling a double-twist here. JJ Abrams and Daisy Ridley have both been pretty clear in interviews about Rey's parents not really being some big secret that the fans have made it out to be. I think Ridley has outright said Rey's parents are nobodies at least once...but, again, the fans ignored her and continued feverishly theorizing who she really is.

Just came back from watching it. I agree with all that you said. I really loved it. On returning to CBR forum i am seeing negative opinions. Maybe that's because it was building on something familiar to do things in so many new and unexpected directions. For me its completely satisfying. It blew away my expectations.

I am thinking that this might be among the darkest Star Wars film in the saga. The victory was simply that the heroes escaped. Wasn't this how Empire Strikes Back ended?
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 12-15-2017 at 04:11 AM.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

I was all set to ignore Disney SW stuff until an Obiwan movie comes out, but if Force Ghost Yoda is in this then I guess I'll check for movie clips next year. Having borne the deaths of every character I've loved since 1977 save for R2... Not as rabid for the franchise as once was. New characters leave me cold.
    So is Luke dead yet or no?
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

All-New Member

I enjoyed it but did have some issues. I went in not expecting it to live up to the hype my 5 year old self wanted. Personally nothing will live up to the Love I have for the original trilogy. That being said, Snorks death, Rey’s parents, and Captain phasma was meh. Not a big fan of how they did Luke either but that’s because how much I enjoyed the character as a kid too.

Also, then the transports start taking fire why did old girl wait so long to do something. She could have turned the ship around qearliwr and saved at least a half dozen transports.

Fantastic Member Red Robe Jaldari's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

Geez people. Star Wars has simple plots. Stop over thinking it.

I don't think so. I think they are pulling a double-twist here. JJ Abrams and Daisy Ridley have both been pretty clear in interviews about Rey's parents not really being some big secret that the fans have made it out to be. I think Ridley has outright said Rey's parents are nobodies at least once...but, again, the fans ignored her and continued feverishly theorizing who she really is.
    Wasn't the fans fault. If they were nobodies then those nobodies could've been shown and named in TFA. They purposely hid their faces in the flashback scene to keep us wondering. The mystery "keep watching to find out" plot is typical JJ Abrams. As was mentioned in another thread, JJ Abrams also said Cumberbatch wasn't Khan in Into Darkness but it turned out he was.