Page 50 of 58 FirstFirst ... 40464748495051525354 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Aesthetically they are pretty distinct though, the Prequels take place in a polished neo-Liberal paradise where as the OT takes place in rustic, barbaric future under late stage capitalism. The new trilogy lacks its own unique aesthetic, its the OT for the most part, but a bit darker and, whatever reason, I like the Prequel stuff more than the OT. Whenever I see AT-ATs, Tie-Fighters, X-Wings, I just kind of shrug with disinterest.

I don't think any reasonable person should loath The Last Jedi though.
    I did not ask for a better praise then the last one from you.

Though i think a reasonable person can hate TLJ. I think its a great film. But it does such things that one can feel hate towards it. Especially, fans of OT. Though fans of OT can love it too.

Film fans are a passionate lot. Sometimes i speak of how films are subjective, other times i would be making nonsensical statements. Where passions are high its difficult to cool down and speak with logic and calm.

Its cool that you like the OT. Most people i talk to hold the opposite view. No one is wrong. Which is the beauty of films.

I wished more people liked the TLJ. But i can't help it. This maybe the first time i love something like this while its being attacked almost constantly. It has been quite an experience so far.

A lot of the prequel technology does kind of resemble the OTs, especially as they go on. The first shot in TPM after the opening scroll is of a ship that closely resembles Leia's in ANH (Although with a more cyndrical head). The Trade Federation battleships resemble a mix between the Death Star and Star Destroyers (Perhaps intentional, as the TF and their allies eventually try to develop the thing). The Vulture droids in fighter formation strongly resemble TIES although without the cockpit....even some of the land-based stuff sort of the droids and tanks aren't all that off from Walkers and Stormtroopers, although the TF tanks don't have legs. I think this in large part George's direction, he told them to sort of 'think backwards' with designing a lot of the tech.

....and then we get to AOTC and ROTS which pretty much have much of the same technology as the OT, with even some of the signature ships popping up (although in different color schemes and slightly better shape) such as Boba Fett's ship and Leia's ship (or a similar model). In some early concept art they actually toyed in ROTS with the Republic going full Empire pretty much already by the Battle of Coruscant, with Imperial Star Destroyers already instead of the more transitional model we got in ROTS (Which-in a nice touch-loses it's Republic color markings by the end of the film).

Apart from Naboo and Coruscant I think a lot of the PT's planets were pretty similar to those in the original trilogy-Tatooine is pretty much the same. Kamino is more or less Cloud City on the Ocean...Kashyyk, a slightly more advanced Endor.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Frankly speaking i am puzzled. Did we all watch the same film? Or different films were released in different countries. I generally put that to subjectivity of films. No film works for everybody. But when people say its worse then Prequels i find it really hard to believe. Prequels were all soulless affairs to me. They all looked good but i could feel nothing. I thought only the third one was any good. I used to wonder what is this big deal about Star Wars. After watching the originals i could understand. They are awesome even today.

What is there to hate in the film? I have heard all complaints but nothing seems to stick. I seem to fight and disagree with everything. Every complaint is for something that i either liked or loved. I can't wait to watch it again. Let all those deleted scenes go to where they have come from. I can't wait to watch the film again. As soon as it would be available here i will get that.
    There is just so much. From the nonsensical plot points to just flat out dumb ideas. Start right form the start with that beyond stupid Hux/Poe scene. That just set the stage for ridiculous ideas. Those slow ass bombers. Why would any group that was not morons ever use ships that are so slow they are just begging to be picked off? It just goes on and on. Some of this "comedy" seemed like it came out of one of those bad parody movies like Luke milling that creature. It just goes on and on. One bad idea stacked on top of another until half way through the movie you just have this huge mountain of stupid. Everything with Holdo, Canto Bright, Rose stopping Fin from trying to take out the weapon and then spouting some garbage about love and faith, Leia space walking, the list just goes on and on.

I have said it before but Rian Johnson made a Star Wars movie for people who hate Star Wars by making it just so ridiculous that they can look it and say "see we told you it was a silly story made for kids"

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    There is just so much. From the nonsensical plot points to just flat out dumb ideas. Start right form the start with that beyond stupid Hux/Poe scene. That just set the stage for ridiculous ideas. Those slow ass bombers. Why would any group that was not morons ever use ships that are so slow they are just begging to be picked off? It just goes on and on. Some of this "comedy" seemed like it came out of one of those bad parody movies like Luke milling that creature. It just goes on and on. One bad idea stacked on top of another until half way through the movie you just have this huge mountain of stupid. Everything with Holdo, Canto Bright, Rose stopping Fin from trying to take out the weapon and then spouting some garbage about love and faith, Leia space walking, the list just goes on and on.

I have said it before but Rian Johnson made a Star Wars movie for people who hate Star Wars by making it just so ridiculous that they can look it and say "see we told you it was a silly story made for kids"
    I thought that was pretty bad ass. But I'm a farmboy. What do I know?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post

Lol. That's like the whole film. If you care to read from this link its a good place to start.

http://www.cracked.com/article_25472...-answered.html

I don't intend to change anyone's opinion. Can anyone change what one feels about a movie? But its fine to look from different points of view even if one doesn't agree with them.

You know, I probably stated this back in December or so, but there's a particular line in ESB:

"If you leave now, help them you could but...you will destroy all for which they have fought and suffered."

he reiterates this later on: "If you honor what they fight for, yes."

It actually kind of fits a bit with the initial plans for ROTJ, that it would be even darker than ESB.

Maybe Yoda was seeing a bit more long term than he thought. While Luke ultimately saved his friends (although at high personal cost) and there was peace for many decades, ultimately Luke's own acts-the training of Kylo Ren, in particular-had grave consequences for the galaxy, and the rebellion/resistance is pretty much in shambles at this point.

Would Leia and Han being martyred on Bespin not only have prevented Kylo Ren, but perhaps a more permenant success for the rebels over the Empire?

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    You know, I probably stated this back in December or so, but there's a particular line in ESB:

"If you leave now, help them you could but...you will destroy all for which they have fought and suffered."

he reiterates this later on: "If you honor what they fight for, yes."

It actually kind of fits a bit with the initial plans for ROTJ, that it would be even darker than ESB.

Maybe Yoda was seeing a bit more long term than he thought. While Luke ultimately saved his friends (although at high personal cost) and there was peace for many decades, ultimately Luke's own acts-the training of Kylo Ren, in particular-had grave consequences for the galaxy, and the rebellion/resistance is pretty much in shambles at this point.

Would Leia and Han being martyred on Bespin not only have prevented Kylo Ren, but perhaps a more permenant success for the rebels over the Empire?
    That's a really great new perspective. It's always seemed weird that Yoda's warning never came to any kind of fruition...if anything, Luke leaving early set events in motion that led to the Empire's defeat. If he hadn't turned his father, the Empire would likely have won the Battle of Endor.

But there's also another dimension to the idea of Yoda looking further ahead than he imagined. What if the advice applies to Luke leaving Ach-To too soon? I get the impression that Luke would have been killed by Snoke and Kylo if he had. The Cosmic Force seems to need Luke to serve its will as the legend he becomes, not by getting into an actual physical confrontation with Kylo (and likely failing). So there's also that.

BANNED

It seems more likely that Luke would never have found out about Vader being his father or Leia being his sister.

Luke would either have been killed by Vader, or Luke would have killed Vader and turned into Darth Skywalker II by Palpatine.

Actually I still think Luke finds out. Had Luke not left his training, either one of two things would happen: Luke would be "ready for the burden" as Yoda put it and he would've told Luke the truth. Or, Vader and Luke would have had their inevitable confrontation anyway at a later date--be it a fully trained Luke seeking Vader out of his own volition or Vader finding another way to tempt Luke into facing him--and seeing as there's no indication that just not going to Bespin would have changed Vader's ultimate goal of not killing Luke but turning him, Vader would probably tell Luke then.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-22-2018 at 02:51 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quite simply it seemed to me that this movie was made with the intent of basically ignoring everything about the first 6 films not to mention anything brought up by the animated series. I was excited for Johnson when I heard about him joining, but now I do not want him any where near a Starwars film again. Let me say I do not have a problem with everything, the force hologram is fine if anticlimactic for Luke to just die after doing it. Its all the dumb things in the film when regarding ships that can travel at hyper space or stuff like auto pilots....

I watched The Last Jedi, today. And this is what i posted in TV/Film.

"Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The film blew my mind in how breathtakingly awesome it is. I get the complaints of a section of fans, though i fail to understand. This is crazy stupid good. Watching it the second time, i can love it only more. Wow! Luke's standing down the entire army. The throne room sequence. The light speed ram. These moments are some of the best i have seen in any Star Wars film. But its not just these three, the whole film is such that i won't change anything. Anything at all."

I can say what i feel. I simply love it.

I don't think Vader really intended to kill Luke, but to freeze him in Carbonite for transport back to Coruscant. He almost succeeded if Luke hadn't done that force jump.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I don't think Vader really intended to kill Luke, but to freeze him in Carbonite for transport back to Coruscant. He almost succeeded if Luke hadn't done that force jump.
    Vader all but acknowledged that he had underestimated Luke's abilities, perhaps because he had no idea that Luke had recently gotten training from Yoda.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

A few of my questions were cleared in the second viewing.

- Kylo wasn't lying about Rey's parents. It was Rey who said that they were nobody. Before Kylo completed her words. She always knew that but 'hidden it away'.

- Rey did not beat Luke in their 'fight'. It wasn't a fight at all. Luke was visibly toying with her. She actually disarmed her by snatching away her staff by his free left hand. He used that hand only three times. First time to break that pole to use for the 'fight'. Second to block the first blow. And third to simply take away her staff. He was easily stopping her attacks by using one hand. When she brought the light saber he was taken by surprise and simply stopped fighting.

- The main ship of rebels was smaller, faster and just out of range of the FO's canons. Thus, they couldn't give cover to their attacking fighter ships. Thus, they kept chasing them and did not attack with more fighters.

- There was cloaking in the transfer vehicles to Crait. They weren't looking for small transports. After DJ gave the info they ran the anti-cloaking device/mechanism and then detected that they were leaving discreetly.

- Rose stopping Finn from that suicidal run really was the right thing to do. Just after that scene its mentioned that the rebels in the outer galaxy had received the distress signal but weren't responding. They were not coming. Hyperspace travel means they shall not take a lot of time to reach them. Destroying the canon wouldn't have helped in the big picture. They needed help from others. And the door could only keep them inside indefinitely, which is desirable but not worth killing yourself. Especially, when help can arrive anytime soon. That's why Poe ordered others to abandon the assault. He has learnt what is the wise thing to do. He was no more impulsive and hot headed as he was before.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-24-2018 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Vader all but acknowledged that he had underestimated Luke's abilities, perhaps because he had no idea that Luke had recently gotten training from Yoda.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Sideous, however, did not underestimate those abilities. He knew all too well of the power of the Skywalker bloodline and knew that it had to be won over or snuffed right there and then. To him, it was even more important to do that then it was to win at Endor.

Vader also always had doubts about what to do with Luke. Understandably so.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.