Page 32 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    I have no idea how you are coming up with those numbers. Multipliers are simply opening weekend box office x multiplier. 220*3=660. Jumanji underperformed with a 36M opening and is on track for at least $250M now. That's a 6.9 multiplier.

I know people at Sony, they cannot believe how well Jumanji is doing and could never have predicted TLJ would do so poorly.

If this 4-day estimates are correct, TLJ even a 3 multiplier is in doubt. Right now it's just ahead of what Rogue One did. Theaters are also reversing Jumanji and TLJ and putting Jumanji in the largest theater. It's possible Jumanji will beat out TLJ as the #1 movie in the US & Canada on New Years Day.

The real question is next week since more kids will be off school. If it stay 10% ahead of Rogue One, then it's might come in around $640M domestically. For international, the big question is China. What studios want to see a a movie have only 35% of the total box office be domestic (US & Canada). This never happens with Star Wars films. Domestic is usually 50%. If TLJ opens huge in China next week, it could change everything.

Edited to add: TLJ did 19.06M on Friday, Jumanji did 17.75M. TLJ was down 23% from the previous Friday, while Jumanji was up 42%. Estimates for this weekend keep being revised to decrease the projections for TLJ.
    I used your numbers in your post ... did you do your own math?

Box office mojo agrees with me, too.

It's gonna be a top 10 all time grosser.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I just watched it again last night with my brother who came up on vacation from South Carolina. I liked it even better than the first time. I think that's because I had my son with me the first time and we were talking about the what was going on in the movie and I missed some things.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I used your numbers in your post ... did you do your own math?

Box office mojo agrees with me, too.

It's gonna be a top 10 all time grosser.
    Multipliers are the common metric used to gauge how successful a movie is post the initial weekend.

It may be top 10 all time, but that was never in doubt. It's not going to get into the 700s. The expectation was a 3.5 multiplier, 220*3.5=770 which would have beat Avatar's domestic box office. That puts Star Wars movies in another stratosphere that keeps cranking for all of January. With a 2.9 multiplier (638M) it's just an Avengers movie that doesn't need to be avoided 3-4 weeks after release.

BoxOfficePro's estimates from this morning have Last Jedi down to under 66M for the 4-day:

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI
    $52.44M 3-Day Weekend (Est.)
    $65.55M 4-Day Weekend (Est.)
    $530.25M Total

That puts it below Rogue One's daily numbers. And estimates have Jumanji beating Last Jedi for the 4-day weekend.

It's made a lot of money. But studio execs aren't going to look at it as being satisfied it did well. There was more money to be made. It opened huge. It was on track to beat Avatar and it didn't. Sony didn't have any expectations that Jumanji would do this well. They hoped it might be able to survive in Last Jedi's wake and make it to 125M domestically.

International is the other problem and how it does depends on China now. All-time international it only will be #23 when Boxofficemojo.com updates with the estimates: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/
    Last edited by ClanAskani; 12-31-2017 at 09:43 AM.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Inquiry: in the thirty years that passed between the events of THE PHANTOM MENACE and A NEW HOPE, we saw many radical developments in battlecruiser and starfighter technology. The Naboo starfighters of EPISODE I looked nothing like the Jedi and Republic starfighters of EPISODE II and EPISODE III, which in turn looked only somewhat like the ships and starfighters of the Original Trilogy (e.g. classic X-Wings, TIE Fighters, Star Destroyers, etc.).

In the thirty years that passed between RETURN OF THE JEDI and THE FORCE AWAKENS/THE LAST JEDI, however, it seems like evolution of combat spacecraft has gotten somewhat static. Barring a few minor modifications, X-Wings, TIE Fighters, and Star Destroyers do not appear all that different from how they did thirty years earlier.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Inquiry: in the thirty years that passed between the events of THE PHANTOM MENACE and A NEW HOPE, we saw many radical developments in battlecruiser and starfighter technology. The Naboo starfighters of EPISODE I looked nothing like the Jedi and Republic starfighters of EPISODE II and EPISODE III, which in turn looked only somewhat like the ships and starfighters of the Original Trilogy (e.g. classic X-Wings, TIE Fighters, Star Destroyers, etc.).

In the thirty years that passed between RETURN OF THE JEDI and THE FORCE AWAKENS/THE LAST JEDI, however, it seems like evolution of combat spacecraft has gotten somewhat static. Barring a few minor modifications, X-Wings, TIE Fighters, and Star Destroyers do not appear all that different from how they did thirty years earlier.
    I remember coming across one fan theory which proposed that it was actually intentional on the part of the First Order to deliberately harken back to the days of the Empire. The still-fledgling Resistance, on the other hand, couldn't afford the newest designs, but improved older ones.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

Boisterously Confused

Interesting catch. There's a film production design answer to that, and I can guess at an in-story answer.

From a film production standpoint, back when TPM was being released, I remember an interview stating that the designs of the Republic were intended to connote sensibilities in which engineering incorporated art. So there were a lot of curves, bright metallic colors, and designs intended to invoke biological creature images. The idea was that as the war progressed, designs became more industrial and less elegant. I haven't heard any such comments about the new series yet.

From an in-story standpoint, that probably means that immediately prior to Darth Sidious' assault on The Galactic Republic, many of the worlds of The Galaxy were enjoying A Golden Age, in which they had the luxury of both resources and aesthetic that afforded more individualistic and fanciful design. As The Clone Wars raged on, and Darth Sidious managed to established the infrastructure of his coming Empire, design preferences shifted to stark efficiency, and ease of mass production to scale (this would also have the effect of making control over production easier for Darth Sidious). I would speculate that much design capability was lost during The Empire's reign (after all, the last thing a dictator wants is a lot of unregulated creativity running amok), so while there might have been a lot of production left over after The Empire's fall, The New Republic might not have had time to rebuild either resources or design competency to advance technology before The First Order showed up and started rippin' stuff up.

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    Multipliers are the common metric used to gauge how successful a movie is post the initial weekend.

It may be top 10 all time, but that was never in doubt. It's not going to get into the 700s. The expectation was a 3.5 multiplier, 220*3.5=770 which would have beat Avatar's domestic box office. That puts Star Wars movies in another stratosphere that keeps cranking for all of January. With a 2.9 multiplier (638M) it's just an Avengers movie that doesn't need to be avoided 3-4 weeks after release.

BoxOfficePro's estimates from this morning have Last Jedi down to under 66M for the 4-day:

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI
    $52.44M 3-Day Weekend (Est.)
    $65.55M 4-Day Weekend (Est.)
    $530.25M Total

That puts it below Rogue One's daily numbers. And estimates have Jumanji beating Last Jedi for the 4-day weekend.

It's made a lot of money. But studio execs aren't going to look at it as being satisfied it did well. There was more money to be made. It opened huge. It was on track to beat Avatar and it didn't. Sony didn't have any expectations that Jumanji would do this well. They hoped it might be able to survive in Last Jedi's wake and make it to 125M domestically.

International is the other problem and how it does depends on China now. All-time international it only will be #23 when Boxofficemojo.com updates with the estimates: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

Real talk tho...in the end does it really matter. Money is Money. And the Empire that is Disney has all the money in the world.

If it looses money so what. if it gains money so what. They will always have money in hand with Mickey's voice laughing in the background.

Basically the reference books have largely stated that the Resistance ships are kind of outdated hand-me downs, and the Republic fleet had more advanced fighters and ships. As for Naboo, I think the fighters being shiny and all was more of a cultural thing; the other Republic tech in the movie-the cruiser that opens the film-is pretty similar in design to the blockade runner/correlian corvette (One of the shots of the film is pretty much based entirely on an old piece of Star Wars concept art).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Certainly Star Wars and Marvel seem to be pulling a lot more box office than a lot of Disney's other attempts at live-action that aren't based on previous animation (The "Pirates of the Carribean" franchise kind of fizzled out, Prince of Persia, Lone Ranger, John Carter, Tomorrowland, Tron etc. weren't exactly big franchise starters either
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Attachment 60092

Yeah I don’t think it’s as simple as this. Many fans, myself included, had an issues with the poor storytelling not the fact that things were “different”. It wasn’t terrible. In fact there were a lot of things I enjoyed about TLJ. But the film also had a lot of problems. The fact that one hour of a two and a half hour movie ended up being pointless. The less said about Supreme Leader Plot Devise the better.

https://medium.com/@timothymably/the...g-d22e45427278
    Last edited by Robotman; 01-01-2018 at 03:17 PM.

I don't know about multipliers or box office mojo or, you know, simple mathematics 'n stuff... so I guess the only thing I look at is how it did in comparison to the previous installments. Does anyone know where it stands in relation to Force Awakens or Rogue One? These days, every movie seems to get the "highest grossing picture of all time" label. So what are we really looking at, a downtrend or an uptrend?
    Save Ferris...

Quote Originally Posted by AngryComicBookNerd View Post
    I don't know about multipliers or box office mojo or, you know, simple mathematics 'n stuff... so I guess the only thing I look at is how it did in comparison to the previous installments. Does anyone know where it stands in relation to Force Awakens or Rogue One? These days, every movie seems to get the "highest grossing picture of all time" label. So what are we really looking at, a downtrend or an uptrend?
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/...d=starwars.htm

It's the #2 Star Wars movie.

The Force Awakens had a very unique set of circumstance that propelled that movie to a crazy gross. 900M domestic BO is not a feat that is easy to replicate. That said I anticipate Episode IX will outperform VIII since it presumably closes out this chapter.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 01-02-2018 at 11:22 AM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by AngryComicBookNerd View Post
    Here's the daily comparison between Force Awakens, Rogue One and Last Jedi:
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdow...oguevforce.htm

The big difference is holiday school vacation schedules. This year many schools don't start until later this week or even next Monday, so Last Jedi should do better Tuesday through Friday than both Rogue One and Force Awakens. But bad weather is impacting parts of the country, so that could damper the school vacation boost.

While people assume ticket prices keep increasing every year, more and more movie theaters are offering various discounts on Monday through Wednesday to get business. One chain with $5 tickets on Tuesday already has sold out most evening showings of Jumanji. It's people in their seats buying popcorn which is what theaters want, but it means people are going on discount days and finding deals which does drive down the box office revenue. If you want to see Last Jedi multiple times, you can purchase discount tickets weeks in advance rather than pay full price.

In terms of multipliers, The Force Awakens had a 3.8, Rogue One a 3.45. From this point after release, Force Awakens made 175M more domestically and Rogue One 92M. If Last Jedi did similar, that would put the domestic box office between 625M-700M. I've seen people saying 770M is still possible, but I don't think Last Jedi can start doing better daily numbers than Force Awakens once schools are back in session. A 3 multiplier for 660M seems like a practical estimate for Last Jedi.

The domestic opening for Last Jedi was down about 11% from Force Awakens' opening. But after the big opening weekend, it's off 30% from Force Awaken's domestic box office numbers. International comparisons need to wait until it opens in China later this week.
    Last edited by ClanAskani; 01-02-2018 at 11:20 AM.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Luke: The ancient Jedi texts!

Yoda: Read them then, you have.

Luke: Well, I...

Yoda: Page-turners, they were not.

So DID Luke read those Jedi texts? Did he fully comprehend their content? Were the texts where he learned the ability to create selectively tangible Force Astral Projections across the Galaxy?

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Luke: The ancient Jedi texts!

Yoda: Read them then, you have.

Luke: Well, I...

Yoda: Page-turners, they were not.

So DID Luke read those Jedi texts? Did he fully comprehend their content? Were the texts where he learned the ability to create selectively tangible Force Astral Projections across the Galaxy?

Interesting question.

Perhaps Yoda worked with him on that one?