Page 5 of 58 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    The structure of the Jedi Order is what gave rise to Darth Vader in the first place. If Anakin had been allowed to openly have his relationship with Padme, then Palpatine wouldn't have been able to twist him like he did. The rigidity of it is why it needs to end. Luke even mentions it in this film. The old Jedi ways need to die. Only then can a new one take its place. Which is what this film hammers home.
    Interesting but I’m not so sure about this. It wasn’t entirely the Jedi council’s fault though.

Anakin didn’t just turn because of his relationship, his turn started with his mother’s death and him slaughtering the sand people. I also think Anakin turned out this way because he was created by the force and the Jedi (Qui-Gon in particular) felt he was the chosen one (whereas it appeared that he was manipulated into existence by Darth Plaguess but that’s just a big assumption based on Palpatine’s speech in the opera). Not to mention that Yoda actually said there some darkness in Anakin’s future and the council flat out refused to train him (Qui-gon and Obi Wan made that decision exclusively).

Even when Anakin became a Jedi master they refused to allow him a seat on the council because they didn’t trust him. That’s where Obi-Wan really failed because the signs were there and he refused to acknowledge them in Anakin.

It doesn’t seem (yet) that Disney wants to turn out the celibacy side of the Jedi. Personally, I preferred the expanded cannon where Jedis did get married and all that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by raidensix View Post

5. Who/what was Snoke?
    Somebody we know more about than we did about Palpatine at the end of Return Of The Jedi. We know his name, for starters, and that he's an old aquaintance of Leia's..

6. What happened to JJ Abrams "Star Wars is the story of the Skywalkers"?
    There's three Skywalkers in the movie. How many of them do you need to satisfy this Skywalker obsession?

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Somebody we know more about than we did about Palpatine at the end of Return Of The Jedi. We know his name, for starters, and that he's an old aquaintance of Leia's..
    Was Snoke human? I couldn't tell if he was a seriously disfigured human or a humanoid creature of a different species.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Was Snoke human? I couldn't tell if he was a seriously disfigured human or a humanoid creature of a different species.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    He didn't look human to me. He looked like a seriously disfigured alien.

Ultimate Member

Also what the heck is up with this out of nowhere idea that Rey wanted her parents to be “special” people? There was nothing whatsoever that established that before. In TFA, Rey’s simply wants her family back, it doesn't matter who they are. It’s not like she spent all of TFA hoping she was Han and Leia's daughter or Luke's.

That line in TLJ was clearly directed at the audience lol. Rian, going "meta" still needs to make sense in-context, which this didn't.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    How does Rey not being a Skywalker crap all over their family and legacy?

It's not as if the Skywalkers are the only powerful force users around. You don't have to be part of that bloodline to be a badass. Mace, Obi-Wan and Sidious' bloodlines weren't anything special and look at how powerful they were. It happens.
    Because it basically says that they were a blight upon the Galaxy, and the culmination of their story is "random girl" fixing their screw-ups. How does that NOT crap all over their legacy?

Also LF didn't make a big deal out of Obi Wan, or Mace, or Sheev's families, or call it their "family saga." They did with he Skywalker's, so the comparison doesn't work.

Ultimate Member

There's three Skywalkers in the movie. How many of them do you need to satisfy this Skywalker obsession?
    Star Wars for good or bad has been the Skywalker saga.

They played a critical role in the destruction of the Empire and its establishment initially.

So, it’s not really fans obsessing with them as much as going along with what the film makers themselves established.

Ultimate Member

I still have a lot questions about the First Order.

It’s been established that the original Empire wasn’t created solely through military might (Palpatine converted the Old Republic into the Galactic Empire through a Senate vote). But I’m very curious how the First Order established this massive military complex in the middle of the New Republic. They built a Multi-planet Destroyer and have developed colossal fleet killing Dreadnaughts; what exactly was the Republic (and Luke and his new Jedi) doing in the face of all this (we already know that Luke took his ball and ran away) given what happened with the Empire before?

One would think the Republic would have taken more concrete measures to prevent something like this happening. Luke should have also found a way to counter Snoke knowing that he was luring Ben Solo away and the dark side rising again. Running away to die seemed like a very ridiculous thing to do.

Ultimate Member

One that isn't either a psychotic mass-murdering fascist, or complete and utter failures. And since the latter two are probably dead at this point, it's even worse.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Star Wars for good or bad has been the Skywalker saga.

They played a critical role in the destruction of the Empire and its establishment initially.

So, it’s not really fans obsessing with them as much as going along with what the film makers themselves established.
    And now a Skywalker is running the First Order, and another one is running the Resistance.

It’s been established that the original Empire wasn’t created solely through military might (Palpatine converted the Old Republic into the Galactic Empire through a Senate vote). But I’m very curious how the First Order established this massive military complex in the middle of the New Republic. They built a Multi-planet Destroyer and have developed colossal fleet killing Dreadnaughts; what exactly was the Republic (and Luke and his new Jedi) doing in the face of all this (we already know that Luke took his ball and ran away) given what happened with the Empire before?

One would think the Republic would have taken more concrete measures to prevent something like this happening. Luke should have also found a way to counter Snoke knowing that he was luring Ben Solo away and the dark side rising again. Running away to die seemed like a very ridiculous thing to do.
    I think it was a combination of to little time to build a large and functioning republic and the critisism that the repbulic surely got caught up in interplanatary politic. Luke missed the dark side because the plot required him too. Jedis in general seems very bad at picking up on how conflicted and close to falling their adepts are. Overall one could make the argument that what happened is precisly what Luke, Leia & Han would be hellbent on not let happen. Either you find that tragicly poetic or just stupid. I'm in the latter category =)

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Yes it did. Especially at the start. Po dicking around with Hux was right out of the "Mighty Meh-Val Comedy Hour" handbook

I didn't like Justice League, but it was miles better than this dog crap as far as execution went.

The prequels look better with every release of the Disney dung
    It's fine if you believe that but I respectfully disagree. Justice League was like a completed jigsaw puzzle with pieces missing that still allows you to see a pretty good picture, despite the holes in it. The many people involved and corporate interference are evident in the finished product.

That's not the case with The Last Jedi, it feels like a singular vision that manages to be faithful to all that came before it; while simultaneously breaking new ground.

Extraordinary Member

The books and Comics have established that the original chunk of the First Order and likely the majority of its fleet was forged in the Unknown Regions after the battle of Jakku, while eventually the FO went public using politics to split off some segments of the Republic in protest to de-centralization. The FO is supposed to by and large be an enigma as far as its capabilities and resources go; Poe's surprise in TFA when taken to a Star Destroyer hangar is kind of supposed to communicate that idea.

Basically, the wider Galaxy at large isn't supposed to know the First Order has a military fleet capable of launching an invasion of the rest of the systems as soon as the NR's is gone.

I personally feel they could have better spent Finn and co's time by establishing and grappling with those implications. Canto Bight shows no actual fallout to the death of the New Republic even tangentially, and the biggest issue I have with the FO in TLJ is there's no attempt to explain two films in how these guys can be such carbon copies of the Empire in a Galaxy that must have despised the Imps. Snoke's just Diet Palpatine, and frankly just one or two more bits of characterization could have made him a brand new flavor.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I think the reasons critics love this movie (and the general public does not) is because Last Jedi is a cynical movie and a lot of movie critics are cynical by nature... Cynical ideas and Star Wars are not a good mix...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    I think the reasons critics love this movie (and the general public does not) is because Last Jedi is a cynical movie and a lot of movie critics are cynical by nature... Cynical ideas and Star Wars are not a good mix...
    If you thought this was a cynical movie, you didn't watch it closely enough. This movie was a shining beacon of idealism. It's entire, interwoven series of plots is about overcoming cynicism. About having hope that the galaxy can be made a better place. About sacrifice for a noble cause, and that a handful of people, standing up for what they believe in, can change the course of events.