Page 51 of 58 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152535455 ... LastLast

I also see Luke as sort of a pawn in the Master/Apprentice feud between the two; Vader was thinking he could turn Luke into his apprentice and overthrow the Emperor, becoming Sith Master and Emperor himself; Palpatine felt, perhaps, that Vader's injuries made him a bit disappointing in the end, and needed a fresh apprentice without Vader's weakness. Of course they didn't really say this out loud to each other, although they both let Luke now-Vader in ESB, The Emperor in ROTJ.

Vader also offered Padme a similar deal in ROTS although she didn't seem to have the force so I'm guessing it was more like he would have her around as a Queen and she'd be helpful in dealing with the politics (probably not Anakin's forte).

Both Vader and Palpatine told each other openly that he would be an ally, I guess a "dark jedi" like in the old EU, or something like the Inquisitors in the new. But both had ambitions beyond that.

Marvel's Vader comics (both of them) I think have done a good job at showing the quiet struggle for power between the two.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Boisterously Confused

Disclosure 1: I'm one of those OT curmudgeons that feels the recent sequels virtually exile the old fans from the franchise.
    Disclosure 2: I have not seen any of TLJ extra content.

I saw an article about the deleted content showing Luke's heartbroken reaction to the news of Han's death.

Why in the High Deity's Name would that not make the Theatrical Cut? Even a small bone like that could have give Luke complexity and sympathy, instead of making a grumpy loser of him until the last act.

Just re-watched this for the first time since opening night. The movie just doesn’t work. There are too many uninteresting characters and the run time drags on forever.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Disclosure 1: I'm one of those OT curmudgeons that feels the recent sequels virtually exile the old fans from the franchise.
    Disclosure 2: I have not seen any of TLJ extra content.

I saw an article about the deleted content showing Luke's heartbroken reaction to the news of Han's death.

Why in the High Deity's Name would that not make the Theatrical Cut? Even a small bone like that could have give Luke complexity and sympathy, instead of making a grumpy loser of him until the last act.
    Yeah I've looked up about some of the deleted scenes and I really have to ask why they were deleted? A lot of them have much more significance then a few things that did make it to the theatrical cut. For example the cut scene with Phasma where Finn tries to get other stormtroopers to defect like he did really should have been in there.

Having finally seen TLJ I think my rankings are as follows:

1. Empire
    2. New Hope
    3. Jedi
    4. Rogue One
    5. Phantom Menace
    6. Clone Wars
    7. Force Awakens
    8. Last Jedi
    9. Revenge of the Sith

BANNED

The Empire Strikes Back
    Rogue One
    The Last Jedi
    Star Wars
    The Force Awakens
    Return Of The Jedi
    Attack Of The Clones
    The Phantom Menace
    Revenge of the Sith

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Sideous, however, did not underestimate those abilities. He knew all too well of the power of the Skywalker bloodline and knew that it had to be won over or snuffed right there and then. To him, it was even more important to do that then it was to win at Endor.

Vader also always had doubts about what to do with Luke. Understandably so.
    One of the reasons why Vader is such a great villain. There's a lot of complexity running underneath the surface. You could definitely argue that subconsciously he took it easy on Luke because he didn't really want to win that fight. At the very least, he's conflicted enough to compromise his typical ruthlessness. If he had truly gone after Luke like he went after the other rebels, I don't think it would have been a contest!

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post

Are you talking about Luke Has A Moment? Because all he did was close his door, peep out at Chewie and Rey, and sit down to take a moment to shed a tear as it cuts into Leia doing the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    Yeah I've looked up about some of the deleted scenes and I really have to ask why they were deleted? A lot of them have much more significance then a few things that did make it to the theatrical cut. For example the cut scene with Phasma where Finn tries to get other stormtroopers to defect like he did really should have been in there.
    Luke Has a Moment I'm on the fence but the only one I watched that should've been in was the raider scene. It was shot beautifully, makes Luke look like he wanted something more than what the Jedi could provide, and gives Rey conviction for doing the right thing while also providing a teachable moment. It also flows nicely in to the build of her going to the mirror and contacting Kylo. Puts the wedge right between Luke and Rey.

It's on my list of 4 Star Wars scenes to add back in over 7 movies.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I bought the Target exclusive yesterday and they were nearly sold out. Anyway, if you are wondering what’s on the bonus disc it’s nothing spectacular, it’s just a featurette on how the Porgs were created for the film. But if you like the movie, the Target version is still the one to buy due to the packaging and art book included.

As for the film itself, I was mixed about it when I first saw it, but I didn’t hate it like some of the others fans on the internet who feel the film is this great betrayal to Star Wars lore and fans. After a second viewing in theaters and this recent viewing on Blu Ray, I can say I like the film. Yes, I think the Canto Bight stuff should have been cut or significantly trimmed. Second, I wish Luke had actually fought Kylo at the end in person and not as some force projection. I don’t mind his personality shift from the OT. For me it humanized Luke. Yea, he didn’t give up on Vader, but it’s stated that Ben has the potential to be a greater threat to the galaxy than Vader ever did.

To me it’s like, if you had the chance wouldn’t you have at least thought about killing Hitler if you knew what he was going to grown up and become? So in that regard, I understand why Luke briefly thought about killing Ben. The deaths of the students and the idea that he briefly thought about killing his nephew sent him into the depressed / grumpy state. This mistake by Luke ties into the Jedi order being failures themselves ( as stated by Luke in the film).

As for the controversy surrounding Rey’s parents. I don’t mind that they are nobodies, I find it more interesting that anyone in the Star Wars universe can be strong with the force and go on to be someone important. Sticking to the same old Star Wars troupe that you have to be related to a Skywalker to be of importance would have been kinda lame. Would the movie really had been all the better if Rey was just another Skywalker and the film followed the same beats as say Empire?

Same with Snoke, yea I kinda would have got a bit more backstory on him, but again he really was just another Emperor which would only have been interesting for like 20 mins.

Other than that, the movie for me as a lot to like. This is some of the best action we have gotten in a Star Wars film. And the new possibilities the next film could go is very compelling. I stand by my rating of giving it a 8/10.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Are you talking about Luke Has A Moment? Because all he did was close his door, peep out at Chewie and Rey, and sit down to take a moment to shed a tear as it cuts into Leia doing the same thing.

Luke Has a Moment I'm on the fence but the only one I watched that should've been in was the raider scene. It was shot beautifully, makes Luke look like he wanted something more than what the Jedi could provide, and gives Rey conviction for doing the right thing while also providing a teachable moment. It also flows nicely in to the build of her going to the mirror and contacting Kylo. Puts the wedge right between Luke and Rey.

It's on my list of 4 Star Wars scenes to add back in over 7 movies.
    I got to disagree highly here. The raider scene is one of the scenes I do agree with them cutting.

I got to disagree highly here. The raider scene is one of the scenes I do agree with them cutting.
    Because ... ?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Because ... ?
    For starters it doesn't make sense what he's claiming is Jedi teaching. He's saying Jedi would do nothing except we've seen the prequels the Jedi tried to prevent this when they were in the area all the time. it also doesn't make sense for Luke to joke about this sort of thing when Rey is specifically sent asking him to stop this sort of thing on a larger scale. Why do you feel this scene should have been kept in?

For starters it doesn't make sense what he's claiming is Jedi teaching. He's saying Jedi would do nothing except we've seen the prequels the Jedi tried to prevent this when they were in the area all the time. it also doesn't make sense for Luke to joke about this sort of thing when Rey is specifically sent asking him to stop this sort of thing on a larger scale. Why do you feel this scene should have been kept in?
    I'll quote myself ...

It was shot beautifully, makes Luke look like he wanted something more than what the Jedi could provide, and gives Rey conviction for doing the right thing while also providing a teachable moment. It also flows nicely in to the build of her going to the mirror and contacting Kylo. Puts the wedge right between Luke and Rey.
    Luke ends the scene saying the Resistance needs someone like her, willing to take action, not a Jedi who is supposed to step away.

Rey ends the scene calling him out on his jokey, irreverent, and egotistical BS. Luke was not the hero she was expecting.

The Jedi books in the tree offer a different take than the PT Jedi. Luke himself said they were corrupted with hubris during the Clone Wars.

I'm still not convinced. It doesn't make Luke looks like he want to do more than he's currently doing. In fact I would say it implies the opposite. I would also say Rey didn't need conviction to do the right thing. She already had it.

I'm still not convinced. It doesn't make Luke looks like he want to do more than he's currently doing. In fact I would say it implies the opposite. I would also say Rey didn't need conviction to do the right thing. She already had it.
    Luke says real help comes from action, not some hokey old religion. That's regret.

The final shot shows that Luke is ashamed of himself. For the ruse and that thought.

It also builds up Luke's pathos to return in the end.

Johnson said this was cut because it painted Luke in an even worse light. It was also supposed to be partially funny and that maybe the humor didn’t quite work. I can see that. It worked for me but clearly not you or the director.

This scene, the Luke Has A Moment, and part of the Finn/Phasma scene were the 3 he really didn't want to cut.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 03-29-2018 at 01:58 PM.