Page 52 of 58 FirstFirst ... 242484950515253545556 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Luke says real help comes from action, not some hokey old religion. That's regret.

The final shot shows that Luke is ashamed of himself. For the ruse and that thought.

It also builds up Luke's pathos to return in the end.

Johson said this was cut because it painted Luke in an even worse light. It was also supposed to be partially funny and that maybe the humor didn’t quite work. I can see that.

This scene, the Luke Has A Moment, and part of the Finn/Phasma scene were the 3 he really didn't want to cut.
    See I feel Luke's moment shows much more regret than the joke he played. The Finn/Phasma scene IMO also shows much more characterization for Finn. He's clearly trying to tell the other troopers that the First orders claim about being worth anything is a bunch of bunk and we see him breaking through to them despite Phasma's scoffing. So her killing them can be used as an amplifying point for him to hate the First Order. Thus tying into Rose's final line much better. Granted it doesn't fix all the problems with his arc.

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    See I feel Luke's moment shows much more regret than the joke he played.
    It directly cuts to Leia ... regret could be implied but it does show compassion and pain.

I think out of all the deleted scenes, that one would be the easiest to add back and not ruin the flow of the movie.

The rest ... would have to be chopped up. A lot. Even the one I really like.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

It directly cuts to Leia ... regret could be implied but it does show compassion and pain.

I think out of all the deleted scenes, that one would be the easiest to add back and not ruin the flow of the movie.

The rest ... would have to be chopped up. A lot. Even the one I really like.
    I agree it shows compassion but it also show regret because in his mind he has failed again. His entire purpose was to try and remove what he saw as the common denominator to the problem. Now one of his best friends is dead because he failed as a teacher and a friend. Just my two cents.

the Luke has a moment and the Caretakers party scene should of stayed in the movie. Take some time away from the Canto Blight plot and those 2 scenes back in. After watching for the first time since the theaters, I say I still rank above the prequels, just below TFA / ROTJ which I have as 4a and 4b.

Quote Originally Posted by chachi View Post
    the Luke has a moment and the Caretakers party scene should of stayed in the movie. Take some time away from the Canto Blight plot and those 2 scenes back in. After watching for the first time since the theaters, I say I still rank above the prequels, just below TFA / ROTJ which I have as 4a and 4b.
    Yeah ... they already cut the chase down quite a bit and I bet you could cut it down further.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

After watching it twice, I really love Last Jedi. I thought it was a solid addition and look forward to seeing the next installment. The only thing I wish would have been different would be that Luke could have stayed alive on the island in peace. But that is a small complaint.
    Rankings
    Return of the Jedi
    Empire Strikes Back
    The Last Jedi
    A New Hope
    Force Awakens
    Revenge of The Sith
    Phantom Menance
    Attack of The Clones

I don’t count Rogue one as it’s a story and not a part of the trilogy, but if it had to be included it would be last.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Re: Luke's nonintervention doctrine carries shades of Qui-Gon Jinn, who in THE PHANTOM MENACE quickly shot down Anakin's query about whether he and the other Jedi had come to Tatooine to liberate the slaves and sternly reminded Amidala that he and the Jedi were not tasked with fighting a war on Naboo's behalf.

Yoda even echoed this stance in THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK with "wars not make one great" and "adventure...excitement...a Jedi craves not these things!"

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Re: Luke's nonintervention doctrine carries shades of Qui-Gon Jinn, who in THE PHANTOM MENACE quickly shot down Anakin's query about whether he and the other Jedi had come to Tatooine to liberate the slaves and sternly reminded Amidala that he and the Jedi were not tasked with fighting a war on Naboo's behalf.

Yoda even echoed this stance in THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK with "wars not make one great" and "adventure...excitement...a Jedi craves not these things!"

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Luke's hypothetical scenario actually has a valid question.

Assuming there really were raiders, and they were going to return in greater numbers and retaliate after Rey left to help the Resistance, her assistance would ultimately cause greater harm (and further upset the balance).

But on a philosophical level, Luke seems less concerned with the imaginary consequences of her actions than the religious tenet that a Jedi should never act unless they are in perfect balance. Whether they ever call Rey a 'grey Jedi' or not, it seems to be leading toward a more complex understanding of negative emotions than the Jedi Order displays.

I think the scene actually adds a lot of context to Luke's feelings about the Jedi Order and it's a shame it got cut.

I think it was fine to cut the scene of Luke grieving, because I think Hamill already sold that going on underneath the surface. It doesn't have to be that explicit.

The deleted scene that hurts the most, though, is the Phasma one. It actually adds some kind of substance to her story arc and exposes her as an opportunist who will betray and kill her own men at the drop of a hat.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    The deleted scene that hurts the most, though, is the Phasma one. It actually adds some kind of substance to her story arc and exposes her as an opportunist who will betray and kill her own men at the drop of a hat.
    The Phasma comic series that came out last year conveyed that aspect of her character quite well. It showed how she escaped Starkiller base and what transpired afterwards.

Needless to say, perhaps, don't ever offer to help Phasma. In fact, if she is coming your way and it appears she has an assignment for you ... best to throw yourself into the nearest trash compactor or stick your hand in an electrical panel to get out of it.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Luke's hypothetical scenario actually has a valid question.

Assuming there really were raiders, and they were going to return in greater numbers and retaliate after Rey left to help the Resistance, her assistance would ultimately cause greater harm (and further upset the balance).

But on a philosophical level, Luke seems less concerned with the imaginary consequences of her actions than the religious tenet that a Jedi should never act unless they are in perfect balance. Whether they ever call Rey a 'grey Jedi' or not, it seems to be leading toward a more complex understanding of negative emotions than the Jedi Order displays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    The Phasma comic series that came out last year conveyed that aspect of her character quite well. It showed how she escaped Starkiller base and what transpired afterwards.

Needless to say, perhaps, don't ever offer to help Phasma. In fact, if she is coming your way and it appears she has an assignment for you ... best to throw yourself into the nearest trash compactor or stick your hand in an electrical panel to get out of it.
    Agreed. Phasma had the potential to be a great villain foil for Finn. Sadly she's now reduced to a joke. Which is the biggest shame because this sequel trilogy needs some competent villains. As it stands the First Order doesn't feel that big of a threat.

Agreed. Phasma had the potential to be a great villain foil for Finn. Sadly she's now reduced to a joke. Which is the biggest shame because this sequel trilogy needs some competent villains. As it stands the First Order doesn't feel that big of a threat.
    Well, the First Order wiped out the New Republic and reduced the Resistance down to 1 old Corellian transport. That's pretty good if you ask me.

You guys have won me over on the Phasma scene. Not Luke Has A Moment though. The raiding party does a better job IMHO.

They could easily cut more out of Canto Bight. Namely the chase.

Well, the First Order wiped out the New Republic and reduced the Resistance down to 1 old Corellian transport. That's pretty good if you ask me.

You guys have won me over on the Phasma scene. Not Luke Has A Moment though. The raiding party does a better job IMHO.

That wasn't that hard though. Apparently the New Republic didn't feel the need to have a robust military with the Empire gone. It's part of the reason why the Resistance exists.

I think in-fighting did more damage to the resistance then the First Order in this film. It's hard to take the first Order seriously when Hux is regularly made out to be a chump. That makes him a lot less threatening IMHO. It seems one of the few things people agree on is Canto Bight being cut. The raider scene I agree with Rian Johnson that it really did make Luke look even worse. He came off to me as an egotistical jerk and very unsympathetic.
    Last edited by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE; 04-03-2018 at 02:07 PM.

I think in-fighting did more damage to the resistance then the First Order in this film. It's hard to take the first Order seriously when Hux is regularly made out to be a chump. That makes him a lot less threatening IMHO. It seems one of the few things people agree on is Canto Bight being cut. The raider scene I agree with Rian Johnson that it really did make Luke look even worse. He came off to me as an egotistical jerk and very unsympathetic.
    I guess I don't agree with the logic that you can't take the First Order seriously because Hux often comes across as incompetent. It's pretty clear that both Hux and Ren are going to be undone by their respective excesses; Hux is a zealot and Kylo a nihilist. But they can both do a hell of a lot of damage before their downfall.

The novelization adds some context to Hux. His father was an officer in the Empire and one of those who started the First Order. Hux considered his father a rival and had him killed. So he can be quite dangerous given the right circumstances.

Some other notes of interest from the novel:

spoilers:
    --The Supremacy is not just the First Order's flagship but its capital city. There are over a million people stationed on it. So now neither side has an official capital. And the First Order just took a really major hit to their operations, since the Supremacy also housed most of its R&D facilities and mass-produced their weaponry.

--Luke never intended to re-start the Jedi after ROTJ, but Snoke used Ben Solo's Force potential to manipulate him into taking on students. But Luke really just wanted to re-discover ancient truths about the religion from a time before its final stages.

--Rose is really, really jealous of Finn's relationship with Rey.

--Luke had decided to join Rey but changed his mind when he saw her making contact with Kylo Ren.
    end of spoilers