Page 53 of 58 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354555657 ... LastLast

Yeah, there's a story somewhere there that hasn't been told 100% about how Snoke, Ren, Hux etc. sort of overthrew the First Order's original leadership, mainly composed of aging Imperial officers (Sloane, Armitage etc.) and made it their own thing, although there are still some old Imperials still in it's ranks-Captain Canady, the Dreadnought captain, for instance (Who thinks Hux made a blunder by not scrambling the TIEs earlier to take out Poe's ship).

About the Rey's third lesson scene, one thing I liked a lot is that Luke's laugh sounds very "Jokery" when he says "I'm sorry, you just ran so fast!"
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 04-10-2018 at 05:29 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Yeah, there's a story somewhere there that hasn't been told 100% about how Snoke, Ren, Hux etc. sort of overthrew the First Order's original leadership, mainly composed of aging Imperial officers (Sloane, Armitage etc.) and made it their own thing, although there are still some old Imperials still in it's ranks-Captain Canady, the Dreadnought captain, for instance (Who thinks Hux made a blunder by not scrambling the TIEs earlier to take out Poe's ship).
    Hux should have listened!

I do hope they mention what a blow the Supremacy's loss was in the next film. That could explain evening the playing field a bit.

As for the story of the First Order, I suspect they'll leave themselves some wiggle room until Episode IX and then flesh it out in novels.

About the Rey's third lesson scene, one thing I liked a lot is that Luke's laugh sounds very "Jokery" when he says "I'm sorry, you just ran so fast!"
    I really liked that moment. I know some people perceived it as Luke being an unlikable ass, but I thought it was quite the opposite. It's Luke finding joy in something, if only for a moment, even if it's mischief.

The novel adds even more context than the deleted scene--Luke invites Rey to dance with him at the Caretakers' party. I thought that was a really brilliant, human touch.
    Last edited by David Walton; 04-10-2018 at 05:58 AM.

I wound't say the Supremacy's a total loss-it can possibly be repaired. The other ships which we've seen take creepling blows but not totally wind up destroyed I think have been Greivous's flagship which sort of fell apart in stages, and Executor of course but that's largely because it lost control of it's orbit and crashed directly into the DS (If there was no DS around pulling it it probably would've drifted or-like we see in TLJ with the Raddus-have operations be transferred to a second bridge) I'm pretty sure some of the smaller Destroyers are pretty much toast. (It's not clear if Finalizer-Ren's personal destroyer-was among them)
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Last jedi kills it in DVD and Blu-ray sales.

http://variety.com/2018/digital/news...ts-1202748275/

So originally the argument was that box office didn't really show just how much this movie was hated because lots of people saw it once, but they still hated it so didn't come back. I'll love to hear the upcoming rationalizations for why its now selling like hot cakes on home media for repeat consumption.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member

Default I finally saw The Last Jedi on Netflix

And I don't get what the controversy is about.

It was an okay Star Wars movie to me.

Yes, there were parts of it I found disconnected from the established lore. But that was natural to happen because it is a part of a new trilogy.

But I have nothing negative to say about the actors or their portrayals of their characters. They all did a good job with what they had.

Most of the controversy stems from the beliefs that Luke's situation and characterization were botched and he was needlessly killed, force projecting being a thing, Rey being a nobody was a letdown, light speed ramming makes no sense, Yoda burning books because Rey knows everything was idiotic, the Finn/Rose subplot was pointless, SuperLeia was stupid, Holdo was annoying, and Rose preventing Finn's sacrifice (that would have save a lot of people) was moronic.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

My main issue is a general one that takes a lot of what I summed up in the last post, but is more broad. The Disney Star Wars sequel series takes everything that you love about Star Wars and crushes it. They bring back the original characters only to kill them. They reveal that the sacrifices made in the OT were for nothing because the First Order is even worse than the Empire. Nobody had a happy ending like we saw at the end of ROTJ. Luke because a miserable hermit with no family, Han and Leia split up and Han goes back to his smuggling ways. They all live miserable lives and everything is worse than before. And they die in favor of character that people really don't care about. Character that don't even have a spec of the complexity and likability of the original characters.

Yeah they completely botched Luke's characterization. The falling out was IMO completely unorganic. Canto bight felt very preachy as well. It's lecture had the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

Incredible Member

I grew up with the Original Trilogy.

But I look at each Trilogy as a complete new thing unto itself. I strip away all expectations when approaching them.

The current Trilogy is not about the old characters. They are not the stars of the show. The new characters are.

The characters from the original Trilogy are guest stars at best. Which I feel is as it should be.

So no. I don't see the statement of 'But the new characters don't measure up to the old.' to have any validity at all. Everybody has their favorite era of Star Wars. So nobody is going to agree in the first place.

This current trilogy isn't even done yet. So there is no way to judge it as a whole.

And the second movie of every one of the trilogies has been controversial. That's one of the constants about Star Wars.

I think there's enough to judge unless everything thus far has been a dream. And I think they were absolutely capable of letting the new characters shine without sidelining or trashing the older ones. Just look at Cobra Kai. They did it great.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I really had only one major problem with it.

I wanted Luke Skywalker to have one last, epic lightsaber duel with somebody...demonstrating the extent to which his skills with a lightsaber and command of the Force have grown since RETURN OF THE JEDI.

The "duel" we got...meh.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Kelley View Post
    I grew up with the Original Trilogy.

But I look at each Trilogy as a complete new thing unto itself. I strip away all expectations when approaching them.

The current Trilogy is not about the old characters. They are not the stars of the show. The new characters are.

The characters from the original Trilogy are guest stars at best. Which I feel is as it should be.

So no. I don't see the statement of 'But the new characters don't measure up to the old.' to have any validity at all. Everybody has their favorite era of Star Wars. So nobody is going to agree in the first place.

This current trilogy isn't even done yet. So there is no way to judge it as a whole.

And the second movie of every one of the trilogies has been controversial. That's one of the constants about Star Wars.
    I think for some people it's less of the movie being about the old characters and more of it feels like the movie is telling them they suck and we suck for liking told stuff. Not exactly the kind of message people who were fans of the OT would want. IMO the old should be able to coexist with the new. Having to tear down one to build up the other is only ever going to build ire.

Astonishing Member

I liked the final lightsaber fight, the force projection was a cool angle, but he didn't need to die at the end. :/. That really seemed pointless. I like Rey, she can be the lead going forward just great. They could have given the old guard a better send off... (please don't kill Landon in the next movie...)

Spectacular Member

This guy has some really good points about what was so crappy to a lot of SW fans about Star Wars the Last Jedi. You might not agree, but I found it good enough to explain the issues (with some humor, etc. thrown in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ECwhB21Pnk