Page 9 of 58 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    Killing off Luke wasn't unexpected nor the reason people hate TLJ. A lot of people expected him to be killed off because he's the Yoda/Obi-Wan character of the sequel trilogy.

But committing character assassination by turning Luke into a bitter, broken failure hiding on an island waiting die after he tried to kill his teenage nephew - that's something fans didn't expect. Fans wait 30 years to see their hero on the big screen and are told - your hero is a failure.

What would comic books fans say if Peter Parker or Superman or Captain America were shown in a similar way? Would Marvel or DC even allow it? Even if there are alternate universe versions (say Wolverine in Logan), it's not the same. There's a reboot and you get the original comic book character back. But now it's canon that Luke was a pathetic loser.

What would Harry Potter fans say if a sequel series of books had Harry hiding on an island refusing to do magic after trying to kill Ron and Hermione's kid?

Why is it somehow expected that Star Wars fans are suppose to be fine with Luke's character being destroyed when other franchises would never consider ruining their hero.
    A gross misrepresentation of Luke in this film, and a terribly misguided reading of the film.

Ultimate Member

No it's not. You don't get to decide when someone is "misreading" the film. That's not how "opinion" works. To argue other wise is arrogant.

If some people liked what they did with Luke here, that's fine. I'm happy for them and can see why they feel that way. But others are not "wrong" or "misreading the film" if they don't like it, simple as that.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Killing off Luke Skywalker, a ballsy/risky move, was bound to depress that number. I think everybody was blindsided by that.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Not really, killing off Luke was probably the most predictable and obvious thing that they did here. I don't know many people who went in to this movie who DIDN'T expect Luke to die. Especially since they're well-ware of what happened to Yoda, Obi Wan, Han Solo, etc.

There was no "surprise" there, he literally went the same way as those other people.

I think that it's more HOW it all went down that is controversial. Most of the people that I talked to basically said "it's not just that he died, it's that he died a complete failure at everything that he tried to do. He accomplished nothing in the end, which sucked."

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Not really, killing off Luke was probably the most predictable and obvious thing that they did here. I don't know many people who went in to this movie who DIDN'T expect Luke to die. Especially since they're well-ware of what happened to Yoda, Obi Wan, Han Solo, etc.

There was no "surprise" there, he literally went the same way as those other people.

I think that it's more HOW it all went down that is controversial. Most of the people that I talked to basically said "it's not just that he died, it's that he died a complete failure at everything that he tried to do. He accomplished nothing in the end, which sucked."
    Well, except for saving the Rebels and bringing hope to the galaxy.

That tied perfectly into the main theme of the movie, which was about the good guys having each and every one of their efforts undermined but still finding the hope to carry on; more, even if they fail, there is still hope in the galaxy as shown in the final scene before the credits.

Someone called the film "cynical" a few pages back. By my reading, the Last Jedi was precisely the opposite of that. It was literally a movie all about hope in the face of impossible odds, in the darkest of times. I also don't think it's a coincidence that it was made at this particular time in history.
    Last edited by Ilan Preskovsky; 12-17-2017 at 05:27 AM.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Well, except for saving the Rebels and bringing hope to the galaxy.

That tied perfectly into the main theme of the movie, which was about the good guys having each and every one of their efforts undermined but still finding the hope to carry on; more, even if they fail, there is still hope in the galaxy as shown in the final scene before the credits.

Someone called the film "cynical" a few pages back. By my reading, the Last Jedi was precisely the opposite of that. It was literally a movie all about hope in the face of impossible odds, in the darkest of times. I also don't think it's a coincidence that it was made at this particular time in history.
    agreed

saw it last night

I love a GOOD movie that stirs such discussion

The surprise for me with Luke was simply the episode it happened. I expected it, but expected it in IX, not VIII.

I will say I disagree that Luke accomplished nothing. Snoke was no Palpatine, and Kylo is no Vader. Luke is directly responsible for both of those scourges of the galaxy being gone. I mean yeah, things are bleak right now, but the galaxy still has more hope with them than they did with the full might of Darth Sidious and Darth Vader hovering over them. Luke simply experienced failures in setting things up in light of the new dawn. But the dawn never would have happened without him. So I don't buy that his failures in the years after ROTJ minimizes what he accomplished there, in the end. There would have been no New Republic without him, despite the First Order having it on the ropes a few decades in (which really isn't as bad as people make it sound; the Old Republic lasted thousands of years but it nearly fell MANY times. 30 years before the New Republic faces its first major challenge isn't that odd. I believe the disconnect is simply that fans expected to see the New Republic in some form of flourished state instead of being dropped right into it on the ropes), and there would have been NO hope, period. A new threat simply arose. And that's for the next generation to win or lose.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-17-2017 at 07:26 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Luke was right

History has polished the legacy of the Jedi for far too long

if Eps 2 and 3 taught us anything, its that the Jedi were complacent, arrogant, and in some ways undisciplined

kind of like Interpol

Its kinda why I hope the new trilogy is in the future, not the past. The Old Republic and the Old Jedi Order is awesome stuff to explore but, unless IX goes way darker than I ever anticipated, I think it will set things up to move forward and explore the New Republic and the New Jedi Order. Show us the positives and the negatives of what the rebuilt order now looks like. Jedi openly married with kids and what not. Basically something that I think a lot of fans might have imagined the sequel trilogy maybe being.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

there will be no Jedi Order, at least not formally, and the galaxy doesn't need one

just needs good people to fight

This movie was great.

I was sad to see Luke go, but he went out in style. Loved him looking at the horizon, much like we first see him in A New Hope.

And Rose explains it all right before it happens. She said they’ll win by saving what they love, not by destroying what they hate. And that’s exactly what Luke did...he saved the resistance and everything it stands for, and inspired a new generation of Jedi, who won’t be bound by the trappings of the old one.

I can’t understand how anyone would say he was a failure or that he didn’t accomplish anything. Rubbish.

And the Skywalker Legacy is displayed at the end of the movie with the little stableboy. What more can people want for the Skywalker Legacy to be in the story?

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    there will be no Jedi Order, at least not formally, and the galaxy doesn't need one

just needs good people to fight
    On that we'll disagree. As long as the Force exists, there will need to be a Jedi Order because there will certainly be dark side users, be it Sith or otherwise, around to capitalize on it and destroy any chance of any free and just galaxy. A Jedi Order will always be needed to protect a Republic. And it has to be formally organized because of how easy it is to fall to the dark. The answer would be to do ones best to learn from the flaws of the Old Order that were at the very least on full display during Palpatine's rise to power. Not keeping it disbanded. That's far too dangerous.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-17-2017 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    No it's not. You don't get to decide when someone is "misreading" the film. That's not how "opinion" works. To argue other wise is arrogant.

If some people liked what they did with Luke here, that's fine. I'm happy for them and can see why they feel that way. But others are not "wrong" or "misreading the film" if they don't like it, simple as that.
    Yeah, you're seeing quite a bit of that right now unfortunately... If other people loved this movie, more power to them...
    But, for a good percentage of people this movie was very disappointing and is concerning on where SW is headed for the future...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    On that we'll disagree. As long as the Force exists, there will need to be a Jedi Order because there will certainly be dark side users, be it Sith or otherwise, around to capitalize on it and destroy any chance of any free and just galaxy. A Jedi Order will always be needed to protect a Republic. And it has to be formally organized because of how easy it is to fall to the dark. The answer would be to do ones best to learn from the flaws of the Old Order that were at the very least on full display during Palpatine's rise to power. Not keeping it disbanded. That's far too dangerous.
    oh god, the projection is strong with this one

got your own robes there, chief?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    Yeah, you're seeing quite a bit of that right now unfortunately... If other people loved this movie, more power to them...
    But, for a good percentage of people this movie was very disappointing and is concerning on where SW is headed for the future...
    good percentage? more like vocal minority...like Reddit

this thing is making MAD DOLLAZ, garnering near universal critical acclaim, oh and is on track for one of the biggest opening weekends ever

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    oh god, the projection is strong with this one

got your own robes there, chief?
    That's just the way the Force works. I'm not the one who wrote the lore.