Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    From CNN Money

Disney gets:

• 20th Century Fox, Fox 2000, Fox Searchlight movie and television studios

• Majority control (60%) of Hulu

• Several big movie franchises, including X-Men, Avatar and Deadpool

• Major TV franchises, including The Simpsons, This Is Us and Modern Family

• International media businesses, including 350 channels in 170 countries, Star India and 39% of the European pay-TV operator Sky

• FX and National Geographic Partners

• Fox's regional sports networks, including YES

• $13.7 billion of Fox's debt

• An estimated $2 billion in cost savings

• Bob Iger's contract extended through 2021

Fox gets:

• 25% of Disney shares

• $8.5 billion cash dividend from the spun-off company

Fox's spinoff company keeps:

• Fox broadcasting

• Fox News

• Fox Business News

• FS1 & FS2 sports networks

• Big Ten Network
    Man, that almost looks like an indie company now.

I'm surprised they didn't hold on FX. It gives them an outlet for shows that would not work on Fox. Then again, I guess most/all of its original programming was being produced by the different Fox tv studios which were part of the deal. Curious what Disney does with this unit. Do they continue to push the envelope with shows like The Shield and the Americans(one of the best shows on tv)? I'm not one of these people who gets scared that Disney is going to "Disneyfy" all of these new outlets they picked up, but thankful that the Americans is ending this season so it won't be affected at all.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

I think getting the rights back to the FF maybe beneficial for the Marvel movie phases coming up in the next few years. Getting the rights to the cosmic characters and concepts owned by Fox could be introduced post infinity. If they go cosmic so many possibilities with Kree/Skrull War Galactus and his heralds.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    It's funny how Disney got the rights back to X-Men and FF exactly at the time when marvel is transitioning into some sort of new status quo or whatever in the final phase of the MU.

It's literally perfect timing. It's almost like they had this planned all along.
    Yeah, I doubt that's a coincidence. Deals like this usually take months, if not years, to negotiate. For all we know, Feige knew about this before shooting of Avengers: Infinity War even began. He might not have expected it to succeed, but I imagine he had contingencies in place if they did, just like we saw with Spider-Man in Civil War. Now, it'll be interesting to see if any of those plans find their way into Infinity War or Avengers 4.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

BANNED

The movie studios constitute a natural oligopoly. In the Nineties, Dreamworks tried to crash the party but couldn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Not to be a downer, but I added one key word to your post.

See if you can find it.
    Oh... yeah you got me. Nothing set in stone yet, but it would be too weird if they didn't take every opportunity they had with this deal.

Also just let me add one more too the list

- The return of X-Men toys, so many, many toys.

BANNED

Glad that this will almost certainly result in a FF book, but not thrilled at the idea of Disney gaining even more hegemony than it already has. Just look at the glowing reviews for all the crappy movies it churns out.

nice, now everything will be science.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    Also I guess that joke of the Simpsons never ending is no longer a joke.
    Speaking of the Simpsons, they predicted this. One episode shows a 20th Century Fox logo sign with A Walt Disney Company written on it (instead of News Corporation).

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    As long as New Mutants isn't affected.
    It won't be. Already filmed. Don't expect a sequel though.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    It's not just about the movie IPs.

Disney acquired the rights to Fox's TV channels as well.

Fox Channel - Disney already has ABC

Fox News - ABC Broadcasting

Fox Sports - Disney already owns ESPN

FX Channel is Fox too. Where American Horror Story, Archer, Legion, Sons of Anarchy etc are broadcast. When Disney already has several Disney channels and variants.

Add in streaming services like Hulu (which both Fox and Disney contributed to) and Disney's plans to create their own streaming service. Recall them pulling all their movies and programs off Netflix earlier this year.

This is why people are saying Monopoly. Disney already had a very large and competitive chunk of the entertainment market. By buying Fox out, there is less competition and Disney's control expands.
    Disney didn't get Fox News, Fox Sports, or the Fox network, precisely because of those concerns. Since those are now all that's left of 21st Century Fox, they'll probably be reabsorbed into News Corp.

Quote Originally Posted by youthoftoday View Post
    Does Disney own the rights to The Simpsons now as well? I assume broadcast rights stay with FOX though?
    Yes and yes.

Quote Originally Posted by youthoftoday View Post
    Man, that almost looks like an indie company now.

I'm surprised they didn't hold on FX. It gives them an outlet for shows that would not work on Fox. Then again, I guess most/all of its original programming was being produced by the different Fox tv studios which were part of the deal. Curious what Disney does with this unit. Do they continue to push the envelope with shows like The Shield and the Americans(one of the best shows on tv)? I'm not one of these people who gets scared that Disney is going to "Disneyfy" all of these new outlets they picked up, but thankful that the Americans is ending this season so it won't be affected at all.
    I would expect FX to get renamed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudman View Post
    Glad that this will almost certainly result in a FF book, but not thrilled at the idea of Disney gaining even more hegemony than it already has. Just look at the glowing reviews for all the crappy movies it churns out.
    Was almost certainly already happening anyway. Valeria's narration in Legacy #1, the storylines in Marvel Two-In-One and Moon Girl, and the fact Avengers happens to be relaunching in May, probably no longer including Johnny, those are all big clues.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/14/...io-acquisition

Few months ago we had all agreed that Marvel will probably never get back their properties.

It seems being owned by a Corporate monster can make the impossible very possible.

I guess we will see the X-men and FF return to prominence in games and other media. And hopefully no more god awful FF movies.
    Uh, how about a Fantastic Four comic book. That would be awesome.

Sandy Hausler

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by CIA View Post
    I just said it, X-Men is garbage and I'd rather have Thunderbolts and NextWave than another round of JEEEEEEAAAAN
    Thank you, to hell with the X-Men I want see more B and C listers get their time to shine.
    #InhumanSwag

Astonishing Member

Great news.
    Looking forward to see a new Fantastic Four comic book now.
    And finally a good Fantastic Four movie would be awesome as well.
    The x-men line of comics seems good now,but can improve so i am intrigued to see how this will improve the x-men comics.
    And last but not least is good to see both the Fantastic Four and X-Men in the MCU movies,Marvel movie even without the x-men or fantastic four have been great but now with those iconic characters it can just be better.

Astonishing Member

I still see Disney making films on C and D listers after the rebooted X-Men movies. This is a company who is ruthless and does not rely on bleeding the hell out of franchises. They want to make as many IPs famous so they make a killing on merchandise and theme parks. Look at all their successful animated movies. So many could have sequels but they choose not to and Disney continues to make new IPs when they don't have to.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I still see Disney making films on C and D listers after the rebooted X-Men movies. This is a company who is ruthless and does not rely on bleeding the hell out of franchises. They want to make as many IPs famous so they make a killing on merchandise and theme parks. Look at all their successful animated movies. So many could have sequels but they choose not to and Disney continues to make new IPs when they don't have to.
    Isn't it better to devote the considerable time that animated films require towards making new movies rather than sequels?

Nothing wrong with sequels per se but when it comes to animation, I'd rather see them telling new stories.

Amazing Member

Well to the movies I can't say I care much. The Runaways show sounds like it may be a breath of fresh air in What If: Hollywood rebooted Marvel. The whole continuity thing doesn't really work that well if you are bored by so many of their choices. Someone can wake me up when the norm turns into more faithful adaptations of specific stories, not melting them down into a universe.

In fact I'm more concerned about where this takes Alien, Predator and Planet of the Apes. But that's because I genuinely like their movies more than most Marvel movies these days.

But on the more important aspect, I hope this will eliminate any worry on the comics. It still make sense to sometimes market in synergy but without a heavy divide of "some characters aren't ours" I'd hope there's going to be more room going forward for the Marvel canvas to give chances to some people who have had ups and downs in recent years.

Another question, if Disney gets the Fox stuff do they get The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen film rights. I remember debates on what book rights Fox had to possibly take that series modern, but if all those are now with Disney, they have a hell of a lot of lit rights to use. If they wrap up Once Upon a Time soon, maybe they'd seriously take some kind of lit crossover franchise to theaters? That would be cool.

Mercenary Agent of Wolfram & Hart's Avatar

Normally a monopoly is not a good thing, but I cannot help but be hopeful that now we’ll see a Fantastic Four & X-Men renaissance both in the MCU and the comics
    "The preceding announcement has been paid for by the new World order"