Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

You know what this means for us?

-The return of X-men Cartoons

-Fantastic Four returns to comics and their own cartoon not foo far away.

-Next Marvel Vs. Capcom will be a proper one with the x-men back where they belong

-AAA X-men/ Fantastic Four/ Deadpool video games

-Is it too much for me to ask for a "Champions" cartoon or movie within the next decade?

- A Wolverine/Hulk fastball special.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm911 View Post
    You know what this potentially means for us?

-The return of X-men Cartoons

-Fantastic Four returns to comics and their own cartoon not foo far away.

-Next Marvel Vs. Capcom will be a proper one with the x-men back where they belong

-AAA X-men/ Fantastic Four/ Deadpool video games

-Is it too much for me to ask for a "Champions" cartoon or movie within the next decade?

- A Wolverine/Hulk fastball special.
    Not to be a downer, but I added one key word to your post.

See if you can find it.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    I have to admit...my understanding of corporate law and economics and whatever-else-related-to-the-topic is rather limited...but...can someone explain how this creates a monopoly? I see the phrase parroted a lot (in reference to this deal), but no real discussion centered on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    Simply put, it doesn't create a Monopoly.

It's getting kinda tiresome to see the constant outrage concerning the "monopoly" thats supposedly coming. As tiresome as the years long bitching about Marvel not owning the rights to all their characters.

It's not a move towards achieving a monopoly, there are at least another 5 studios that can and will compete with them. Even in the case that Fox content gets homogeinized with Disneys, this will improve the opportunities of other studios by shifting their focus to the adult oriented niche Fox previously occupied.

This is not a petty move made exclusively to recover the F4 and XMen franchises from FOX. It's about acquiring strategic assets that Disney doesn't have, to better position themselves towards the future of the entertainment industry. It is not disneys fault that the industry is now shifting towards streaming services, you can't blame them for wanting to compete within the environment that others such as Netflix, HBO and Amazon to name a few have created. By purchasing FOX they have acquired their own streaming platform and an extensive library of content so they can compete with Netflix right away.

Surely this will decrease the total amount of movies released per year, given disneys history of preferring quality over quantity, but one also has to ponder exactly what kind of productions are being released right now. For each original piece of content we get 10 unsufferable remakes that i wouldn't mind at all to see disappear.

Plus I don't think rated R properties will be banned from production. They will probably be made under a different umbrella, sure, but anything that makes money Disney will continue producing. It's not like they are flushing Kingsman, Alien, Predator and so on down the toilet. If its profitable they will find a way to make it work.

Furthermore, this has not been an hostile takeover by the house of the mouse, FOX was looking to sell and the baggage they had to offer fits perfectly with the needs of Disney as a business. In a free market economic environment this is a move that happens all the time without most of us not even realizing it.

An concerning the movies they are going to make...remember they purchased Star Wars and made some brilliant movies with the license. In fact, they did a much better job than its original creator did. And that is not an isolated case, they have made the same with every license they have got their hands on. MCU, recently Spiderman, etc... So at least they have earned themselves a big degree of trust, particularly when you couple it with the bunch of god awful flicks FOX made only to stamp the F4 or X-Men label on them and shove them down the audiences collective throats.

The concern about the "minor" characters that are going to get sidelined in favor of introducing the mutants is also nonsensical. Not only will they be able to double their movie output per year if they want to, they will also have a neat streaming service of their own where they can produce their own shows and direct to TV movies. The superhero movie industry is turning an unprecedented profit, it's here to stay and to date, no one has done it better and made it more profitable than marvel/disney. If anything I see more and more properties being developed in one form or another, not less.

On a side note, I hope this deal has Disney reviving Firefly (Fingers crossed)
    It's not just about the movie IPs.

Disney acquired the rights to Fox's TV channels as well.

Fox Channel - Disney already has ABC

Fox News - ABC Broadcasting

Fox Sports - Disney already owns ESPN

FX Channel is Fox too. Where American Horror Story, Archer, Legion, Sons of Anarchy etc are broadcast. When Disney already has several Disney channels and variants.

Add in streaming services like Hulu (which both Fox and Disney contributed to) and Disney's plans to create their own streaming service. Recall them pulling all their movies and programs off Netflix earlier this year.

This is why people are saying Monopoly. Disney already had a very large and competitive chunk of the entertainment market. By buying Fox out, there is less competition and Disney's control expands.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

It was obvious this was going to happen. I mean, there was just too many news coming from too many reliable sources to be just a silly rumor. Of course, this is something that goes way beyond just the Marvel properties, but being a Marvel fan, it's just impossible not to think of the endless possibilities this will open up for Marvel throughout all their media. I'm just glad I'm alive to witness all of this.

And I love how Disney was very specific to say the deal will allow them to bring X-Men, Fantastic Four and Deadpool ''to the Marvel family under one roof''. I mean, if anyone had any doubts about those characters being a part of the MCU before...

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post

FX Channel is Fox too. Where American Horror Story, Archer, Legion, Sons of Anarchy etc are broadcast. When Disney already has several Disney channels and variants.

Add in streaming services like Hulu (which both Fox and Disney contributed to) and Disney's plans to create their own streaming service. Recall them pulling all their movies and programs off Netflix earlier this year.

This is why people are saying Monopoly. Disney already had a very large and competitive chunk of the entertainment market. By buying Fox out, there is less competition and Disney's control expands.
    Disney won't get news or sport.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post

Fox Sports and Fox News weren't part of the deal.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

AT&T and time Warner will pass as well. Everyone is going to merge

BANNED

Re the monopoly question: No, this isn't even close to creating a monopoly. If you want to worry about monopolies, then take a look at Amazon, Facebook and Google. You could make a good case that they're monopolies.

Monopolizing would be Disney acquiring rights to DC movies from Warner Bros

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Fox Sports and Fox News weren't part of the deal.
    I was having a hard time deciphering some it, but looks like FX is the only network that is part of the deal. Does Disney own the rights to The Simpsons now as well? I assume broadcast rights stay with FOX though?

semi-monopolies still suck, lol

Quote Originally Posted by youthoftoday View Post
    I was having a hard time deciphering some it, but looks like FX is the only network that is part of the deal. Does Disney own the rights to The Simpsons now as well? I assume broadcast rights stay with FOX though?
    Simpsons are part of the deal I believe. Someone will have a comprehensive list out in the next day or so.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Monopolizing would be Disney acquiring rights to DC movies from Warner Bros
    That wouldn't make Disney a monopoly either.

And I don't think ESPN should even be part of the discussion. It looks like a dead network walking to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Simpsons are part of the deal I believe. Someone will have a comprehensive list out in the next day or so.
    From CNN Money

Disney gets:

• 20th Century Fox, Fox 2000, Fox Searchlight movie and television studios

• Majority control (60%) of Hulu

• Several big movie franchises, including X-Men, Avatar and Deadpool

• Major TV franchises, including The Simpsons, This Is Us and Modern Family

• International media businesses, including 350 channels in 170 countries, Star India and 39% of the European pay-TV operator Sky

• FX and National Geographic Partners

• Fox's regional sports networks, including YES

• $13.7 billion of Fox's debt

• An estimated $2 billion in cost savings

• Bob Iger's contract extended through 2021

Fox gets:

• 25% of Disney shares

• $8.5 billion cash dividend from the spun-off company

Fox's spinoff company keeps:

• Fox broadcasting

• Fox News

• Fox Business News

• FS1 & FS2 sports networks

• Big Ten Network

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    From CNN Money

Disney gets:

• 20th Century Fox, Fox 2000, Fox Searchlight movie and television studios

• Majority control (60%) of Hulu

• Several big movie franchises, including X-Men, Avatar and Deadpool

• Major TV franchises, including The Simpsons, This Is Us and Modern Family

• International media businesses, including 350 channels in 170 countries, Star India and 39% of the European pay-TV operator Sky

• FX and National Geographic Partners

• Fox's regional sports networks, including YES

• $13.7 billion of Fox's debt

• An estimated $2 billion in cost savings

• Bob Iger's contract extended through 2021

Fox gets:

• 25% of Disney shares

• $8.5 billion cash dividend from the spun-off company

Fox's spinoff company keeps:

• Fox broadcasting

• Fox News

• Fox Business News