Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    "Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

I don't understand.

What did Marvel see in Slapstick, Darkhawk, Sleepwalker, Terror Inc., Dazzler, Damage Control, Inc., and Mobious (the Living Vampire) that they didn't see in the Inhumans?

Ultimate Member

FYI X-Men books have been axed before.

The point Iron Fist is trying to make is Marvel is still a BUSINESS. A successful business that sold books beyond X-Men. It does not matter if they were number one or number two or number three. Because all the money went to Marvel.

The point Iron Fist is trying to make is Marvel is a BUSINESS and that include whatever profit a franchise brings in be it comics, toys, games and movie.

His point is you got the comic money from X-Men but not the other areas. So like any business Marvel ventured out to use other properties. That is business 101.

X-Men fans claim Marvel disrespected them-Marvel NEVER did. Because you still had X-Men books being published. GO ask some of those DC folks about being disrespected like John Stewart & Wally West fans. Where is the Marvel books where Gambit was erased or recolored in a book like Cassandra Cain was in books including low sellers like Batwing.

what i do know is that given the choice to publish inhuman or x-men books at equal pace and on equal ground, marvel will always choose x-men. because the x-men make them money and the inhumans do not.
    No they won't.

Because the ground will NEVER be equal when your dealing with cherry picking comic book stores. That is why you see a lot of books do better as trades because folks are not in the mood to deal with certain store owners-who don't look big picture.

That is why you diversify your products. Because not everything will be sold in a store nor will everything you put out will sell to everyone.

The Inhumans are not dead despite what some people say. Ms Marvel & Moon Girl WORKED for a reason.

Lets see what we can take from them and apply it to X-Men-so we can have more female lead books beyond X-23 last longer than 11 issues.

What can be learned from long running team X-books that can be applied to Inhumans?

Marvel does not want one franchise-they want TWO. Choosing one over the other doesn't work.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 12-14-2017 at 04:52 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    we'll see. i think marvel just needs to stop and reassess the situation after today's news. they need to ask themselves what do they really want the inhumans to be now that they have the x-men back.
    Yes.

Because you always need another viable franchise in the wings.

So, taking the Inhumans and making them into Marvel’s metaphor for fear and persecution of those who are a part of our society?
    Gee I thought black characters were all that metaphor before any mutant.

What did Marvel see in Slapstick, Darkhawk, Sleepwalker, Terror Inc., Dazzler, Damage Control, Inc., and Mobious (the Living Vampire) that they didn't see in the Inhumans?
    All of those guys were not linked to a society that didn't want to be seen and not linked to a royal family.

They are all guys who for the most part are easier to adapt into cartoon or tv.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Gee I thought black characters were all that metaphor before any mutant.
    Mutants are supposed to be Marvel's stand-ins for any community subject to persecution, whether that's the African American community, the LGBT community, Latinos, immigrants, women, etc. They stand for a very powerful premise: being hated because of something you're born with.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

It's not even off the Goddamn First Page!

I go back to the question I always ask. What does "pushing" mean? Marvel used to release a miniseries every once in a blue moon. Then they had one ongoing book that didn't get cancelled (called Inhuman). This is when people first said Marvel was pushing the Inhumans - one book (plus Ms. Marvel). Then we had two and a half books. Slowly more were added or taken away. As of the beginning of this month, there were two team books, a miniseries, three solo books, and whatever you want to count Monsters Unleashed as. Is it going to stay at that level? Of course not. But if it goes back to the one team book they had after Inhumanity, would that be Marvel still pushing Inhumans? Do they have to go back to not having any books for it to be considered not pushing them? It's hard to answer the question since I never really understood the premise.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    Al Ewing has been teasing in twitter that there are plans for the Inhumans in March post Judgement Day.
    Yeah. There's also the Lockjaw mini inbetween.

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    They already did months ago when they destroyed the T-Cloud at the end of IVX.
    Yeah, the storyline ended. If people start saying that NuHumans aren't being created because of the Fox/Marvel deal, they're just demonstrating that they haven't been reading the Inhumans books. Secret Warriors, at a minimum, makes this all very clear.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    It's not even off the Goddamn First Page!

I go back to the question I always ask. What does "pushing" mean? Marvel used to release a miniseries every once in a blue moon. Then they had one ongoing book that didn't get cancelled (called Inhuman). This is when people first said Marvel was pushing the Inhumans - one book (plus Ms. Marvel). Then we had two and a half books. Slowly more were added or taken away. As of the beginning of this month, there were two team books, a miniseries, three solo books, and whatever you want to count Monsters Unleashed as. Is it going to stay at that level? Of course not. But if it goes back to the one team book they had after Inhumanity, would that be Marvel still pushing Inhumans? Do they have to go back to not having any books for it to be considered not pushing them? It's hard to answer the question since I never really understood the premise.
    They most likely won't be mentioned in the MCU either. Marvel clearly tried and pushed them there as well. Since the series failed to get any praise and following it is hard to imagine Marvel will push the character in the universe. Had the series been a succes they might have tried however the focus would still have been on the X-Men. If Marvel have had the rights to X-Men and don't see there would have been any chance Marvel would have tried and do an Inhuman TV seres. I

Marvel will shift their push from Inhumans to FF. I will be very surprise if we with in a year don't see the firs FF comic, a few FF trades and movie speculations/rumours. Now will Marvel cancel all the Inhumans's books? Now the will keep what is selling. However poor selling books had a higher change of being printed to give Inhumans their MCU push however it is not needed any more since the X-Men is back in the fold. I'm not saying the Inhumans are like the X-Men but Marvel tired to use them in that way so unless Marvel changes direction for what they will use the Inhumans for I don't see any chance of them being used in the MCU. Marvel will probably (rightly or not) feel they are to similar especially after the way they have used the Inhumans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Mutants are supposed to be Marvel's stand-ins for any community subject to persecution, whether that's the African American community, the LGBT community, Latinos, immigrants, women, etc. They stand for a very powerful premise: being hated because of something you're born with.

Aka pretty white people being oppressed like marginalized groups, that’s the best message to send

The Inhumans always worked best as guest-stars, either in FF or in a Marvel Team-Up style book. They really peaked at the Jae Lee/Paul Jenkins mini from Marvel Knights and haven't ever reached those heights again, creatively or financially. I'm down for seeing the odd characters be featured somewhat regularly (Medusa and Crystal already have a long history of this and, if nothing else, the recent influx of Inhumans material has made Karnak an interesting character worth exploring outside of the Royal Family), but hopefully they'll go back to being characters who come out when someone has an Inhumans story to tell in, say, an Avengers title or an FF book. Putting so much spotlight on them just resulted in diminishing returns.

Astonishing Member

Yeah,the premesis of this question is odd.
    Anyways i did not mind to see more Inhumans comics published.They are classic characters created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.
    Curently i am trade waiting Black Bolt because i read good reviews about it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    Aka pretty white people being oppressed like marginalized groups, that’s the best message to send

What were you saying about pretty white people?

Extraordinary X-Man redrunner97's Avatar

What do I want as an Inhumans fan? Easy.

It's time for the Inhumans to take a step back. Not in the scope of their adventures, but in their visibility to the greater Marvel Universe. Attilan must return to the moon, and the Royals need to take some time to reflect on their recent interactions with humanity. Establish Attilan as the great refuge it was meant to be. It's the Inhuman version of Olympus and they are gods in the heaves, looking down on Earth and seeing only ants. They don't have time for petty squabbling below, they look to the stars. That's where the future of the Inhumans is going to be found. Sure they can crossover with the inevitably revived Fantastic Four book, but keep their contact at a minimum while a new writers who understands them better focuses on strengthening the core themes that make the Inhumans so special. Not the least of which being the element of choice in terrigenesis, of choosing to reveal who you are deep down inside no matter the risk.

They're not discount mutants. Not even close. If anything, they're the opposite of the idea of mutants. They're privileged, coming from a world where being weird is normal, and being normal is almost viewed as being weird. Through diversity comes true equality, because if everyone is different then they're all the same. It's the opposite side of the mutant coin. Mutants fight for peace, for acceptance, for tolerance, reason, and understanding; Inhumans fight to overcome preconceived notions of righteousness and strive towards progress from the opposite end of the spectrum. They seek to heal the sins of the past, the sins of their fathers (the Alpha Primitive being comparable to slaves, the caste system, etc.) It's all about inheritance, both good and bad. The gift of terrigenesis is a CHOICE. They're changing their world from the inside, whereas mutants fight from the outside. This is what makes the Inhumans compelling to me and I wish the flashiness would get thrown out the window in exchange for a rebirth of these characters as whom they were meant to be when Kirby and Lee created them.

I love the X-Men and Inhumans so much. They're my tow favorites and I HATE seeing both sides of my fandom misunderstanding the other and bickering over who is better when it truly is an apples and oranges comparison. They're both freaking delicious!
    MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:
    BLACK BOLT | CYCLOPS | SPIDER-MAN 2099 | WICCAN | MS. MARVEL

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES:
    BATMAN | MIDNIGHTER | SWAMP THING | INFINITY MAN | NIGHTWING

SPIDER-MAN 2099 APPRECIATION THREAD | MAN-THING APPRECIATION THREAD

It will be nice to see the inhumans hopefully return to being a dystopia eugenics society. The inhumans are my favourite thing about marvel but I haven't really enjoyed the comics after Infinity. Though I did think Blackbolt and Royals were good. The change from a dsytopian society theme to a super hero theme was a bit too much for me, and I disliked all the Nuhumans. I love inhumans and I like the x-men, but I did not like inhumans being transformed into baby's first x-men.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    No they won't.

Because the ground will NEVER be equal when your dealing with cherry picking comic book stores. That is why you see a lot of books do better as trades because folks are not in the mood to deal with certain store owners-who don't look big picture.

That is why you diversify your products. Because not everything will be sold in a store nor will everything you put out will sell to everyone.

The Inhumans are not dead despite what some people say. Ms Marvel & Moon Girl WORKED for a reason.

Lets see what we can take from them and apply it to X-Men-so we can have more female lead books beyond X-23 last longer than 11 issues.

What can be learned from long running team X-books that can be applied to Inhumans?

Marvel does not want one franchise-they want TWO. Choosing one over the other doesn't work.
    firstly, i think iron fist can argue his own points just like you or i or anyone else can.

second, inhumanity is over. it did not work. and the point may very well be moot now anyway.

the inhumans themselves are classics though, and i fully believe they will find new life elsewhere.

i suggest they start by going back to their isolationist roots and exiting from the mainstage of the marvel universe before their brand is even further tarnished.

BANNED

You do realize that the term "white people" is just shorthand and doesn't actually require said people to literally be white, right? By any reasonable understanding, both Beast and Nightcrawler are still white, as is just about everyone else of significance in the X-Men franchise.

It is hard to deny X-Men is consider of mainly white males it has been so from the get go.