Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

"It just feels like really bad timing, this deal, why do it now, should have been done at an actual low point in FOX like post X3 or post Wolverine Origins"
    There's your problem. You seem to think Disney wanted to buy Fox for the movie rights, when there was soo much more and the real reasons for the people at Fox for WANTING the studio to be sold are more about Murdoch's incompetence.

Fantastic Member

i've liked the movie franchise as a whole but they were going to have to recast the franchsie anywhere since if the movies after dark phoenix moved to the modern day then cyclops and jean and storm and the rest would all be 40-50ish.

but i do want at least 2 x-men franchise movies a year so marvel sticking to 3 movies a year will not be good, hopefully they move up to at least 4 or even 5 now that they have all of fox's assets. the mcu just keeps getting bigger and it will have been at least 4 years before we get dr. strange 2, i dont wanna wait that amount of time between x-men movies or fantastic four movies for that matter either.
    DC: Action Comics, Batman, Batman/Superman, Batman and Robin, Batman Off World, Detective Comics, Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, JG: Flash, JL vs. Godzilla, JSA, Nightwing, Shazam, Superman, Titans, Beast World

Marvel: Amazing Spider-Man, Fall of the House of X, Fantastic Four, Resurrection of Magneto, Spectacular Spider-Men, Ultimate Spider-Man, WolverineL Madripoor Knights, X-Men

I think the foxverse had moments that way surpassed the MCU and I hope with the transition they don't make it too bubblegum.

That said, when it was bad it was real bad

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    I think the foxverse had moments that way surpassed the MCU and I hope with the transition they don't make it too bubblegum.

That said, when it was bad it was real bad
    I would agree with this actually. I feel like the MCU was "movie by algorithm" and so very consistent and , well, bland. Whereas it was precisely that absence of strategy or control which let FOX products go "all over the place" which sometimes is awful (X3, W:O) and sometimes sublime (DoFP, Logan, Deadpool, Legion).
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Spectacular Member

Concerns about Xmen in MCU. Where do I begin. I can write a whole book. Dumb jokes, down play of the discrimination aspect of Xmen. Still don't believe the clowns at Disney will make an r-rated Deadpool, Reynolds is gone . Feige will want full control and all the praise and worship, he won't want want to shear that with Ryan. Wolverine won't smoke and won't go all stabby very much.No tension. Forced team ups. and many many more. Will be back for part 2.

On the bright side we may not see RDJ smug punchable face in an Xmen film, cause the original Avengers are hopefully gone after Avengers 4. There is still hope the Antitrust lawyers kills this deal with fire.....

Like others have said here, my concern is that Disney would make X-Men via movie algorithm, more specifically, I fear that it will rob the movies of their emotional resonance. Nothing in the MCU has ever come close to the emotional potency of the Magneto in Auschwitz scenes, the 'Xavier gets crippled by his best friend, and then is abandoned by both him and his sister' scene in First Class, nor the entire emotional climax of Days of Future Past. The MCU is all about entertainment, and that means making things as fun as possible. I don't want to just have fun when I'm at the movies, I want to feel a broad spectrum of emotions, especially for a franchise that has the potential to be as intellectually stimulating and touching as the X-Men, due to their core themes of prejudice and family.

I'm hoping that by doing characters I actually like justice, I will finally be able to feel in a MCU movie. And Guardians of the Galaxy 2, finally, FINALLY, made me feel something after 11 years of these movies, so fingers crossed?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    "It just feels like really bad timing, this deal, why do it now, should have been done at an actual low point in FOX like post X3 or post Wolverine Origins"
    There's your problem. You seem to think Disney wanted to buy Fox for the movie rights, when there was soo much more and the real reasons for the people at Fox for WANTING the studio to be sold are more about Murdoch's incompetence.
    am sad to say that the franchise will go lower than that under disney. but that will be covered up by the faux media and biased critics.

the first mcu xmen movie, i think will be hated by fans but adored by the media. kind of like what to say about episode 7 and 8
    Last edited by Jaddor; 12-17-2017 at 12:31 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by iacobusleo View Post
    Like others have said here, my concern is that Disney would make X-Men via movie algorithm, more specifically, I fear that it will rob the movies of their emotional resonance. Nothing in the MCU has ever come close to the emotional potency of the Magneto in Auschwitz scenes, the 'Xavier gets crippled by his best friend, and then is abandoned by both him and his sister' scene in First Class, nor the entire emotional climax of Days of Future Past. The MCU is all about entertainment, and that means making things as fun as possible. I don't want to just have fun when I'm at the movies, I want to feel a broad spectrum of emotions, especially for a franchise that has the potential to be as intellectually stimulating and touching as the X-Men, due to their core themes of prejudice and family.

I'm hoping that by doing characters I actually like justice, I will finally be able to feel in a MCU movie. And Guardians of the Galaxy 2, finally, FINALLY, made me feel something after 11 years of these movies, so fingers crossed?
    true and this is the reason most of the xmen movies will pass on to legend and become far more beloved once the mcu xmen movie hit. i know this from the reaction to homecoming and spiderman 1 and 2. we will be lucky if the themes of xmen are even mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaddor View Post
    am sad to say that the franchise will go lower than that under disney. but that will be cover uo by the faux media and biased critics.
    That's not how media works.

the first mcu xmen movie, i think will be hated by fans but adored by the media. kind of like what to say about episode 7 and 8
    You mean Star Wars? Sorry to bust your bubble, but Force Awakens is a fan favorite (maybe not with Legends-only people, but they're not the majority of fans). Haven't seen Last Jedi yet, but most of what I've heard has been good. Where it ends up remains to be seen; there was a time when Return of the Jedi was considered the bad egg, then its reputation improved considerably when "the prequels suck" became the favorite fan mantra, today the prequels' reputation have somewhat improved, at least to the point that people seem more interested in seeing what worked about them than just chainsawing them apart.

true and this is the reason most of the xmen movies will pass on to legend and become far more beloved once the mcu xmen movie hit. i know this from the reaction to homecoming and spiderman 1 and 2. we will be lucky if the themes of xmen are even mentioned.
    Problem is that Homecoming was really well-received and stands up on its own feet. Just because it doesn't quite match up with the original movies doesn't mean it's it's bad or is going to be forgotten over time (that remains to be seen). I really don't get this "it's bad because it's not as good as something else" idea.

Same could be with MCU X-Men movies. It's very possible that they could make something that holds up to the original series. The latter might remain more "iconic" but that doesn't mean that new take could make something as good or even better. We'll have to see what actually happens.

(Funny observation: Disney has apparently been considering continuing the Deadpool series, or at the very least keeping Ryan Reynolds and the "R"-rated premise. Can't say I'm exactly tickled pink, but it goes to show that even Disney is considering breaking their "family friendly" mold for Marvel movies -- although seeing as the MCU isn't really for kids in the first place, that might not be saying that much.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

I'm looking forward to someone new taking a shot at the X-Men but . . .

1) Just because I thought the main X-Men movies needed an infusion of fresh blood doesn't mean I think a whole buyout of Fox's movie division was necessary.

2) Part of the problem with the old X-Men movies was that they repeated the same conflict over and over. To reboot things for a new universe we may, in fact, have to see that whole conflict repeated.

3) And take this as political if you want to, but Disney is going to hand several billion dollars to Fox Corp. as they "focus on sports and news" and I find Fox's news reporting rather questionable.

Concerns?

I want nothing to do with X-Men in the MCU. Marvel has been an awful movie studio imo, not one of their movies has ever stood out as something memorable to me. They are forgotten as soon as I walk out of the theatre.

Unfortunately, X-Men will become something no deeper than bright costumes and pew pew action sequences. Such a shame for such a rich and wonderful source material.

X-men and Tf2 fan. WolverineandDeadpool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Franchise408 View Post
    Concerns?

I want nothing to do with X-Men in the MCU. Marvel has been an awful movie studio imo, not one of their movies has ever stood out as something memorable to me. They are forgotten as soon as I walk out of the theatre.

Unfortunately, X-Men will become something no deeper than bright costumes and pew pew action sequences. Such a shame for such a rich and wonderful source material.
    We will just have to wait and see what happens to the X-Men you never know they could be the path to something else.

Most folks here know where I stand on the matter but all that aside, I wonder if Deadpool can work in a non-R scenario. The comics certainly insinuate certain things but he's never 'gone there' (in the books). Curious to know if you guys and gals now prefer the movie version of DP with the vulgarity and language over the comic source material?

Deadpool is easy. Make a PG-13 and R rated cut and shoe both in theaters. Let movie goers decide which thry want to attend and it allows more kids to watch.

It would also be a marketing boon as it keeps the impression that Deadpool is on the cutting edge.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Deadpool is easy. Make a PG-13 and R rated cut and shoe both in theaters. Let movie goers decide which thry want to attend and it allows more kids to watch.

It would also be a marketing boon as it keeps the impression that Deadpool is on the cutting edge.
    Yeah, that won't happen. Can you imagine the chaos that will ensue if someone accidentally buys their kids tickets to the R version when they THOUGHT they were buying PG-13? Because such mix-ups WILL happen.