Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default X-Books after Disney/Fox deal

I see a lot of people excited about the Cinematic Universe possibilities after this huge deal, and I understand, but I’m a comic book fan above everything else. We have seen the mutants been pushed aside and poorly dealt with over the last few years. We have heard Brevoort himself try to justify Marvel’s decisions based on financial matters, but now this will change. So I ask you, what do you think will change?

i would expect the x-men to come back in a big, big way on comic books. the only reason they were sidelined in the first place was the movie rights situation. writers and creators across the spectrum have made no bones about x-men being their favorites to work on.

it's time for the real stars of marvel comics to make their big comeback.

Marvel have been pushing their female heroes but not giving the same treatment to the popular female X-Men. So hopefully this would mean they can the same push as sat Carol Danvers.

storm will finally get her justice and get that "exclusive" morning segment on the view

Right now the status quo is being maintained. There may not be rules preventing writers from creating new characters or stories that Fox can immediately use for movies, but there doesn't seem to be a huge push for something new.

Marvel Comics is essentially research & development. Even if they don't make a lot of money, one comic idea could result in billions of dollars for Disney as a company. Instead of rehashes of Claremont's Uncanny, there may be more willingness to do something different than can be used as elements for movies - even if it doesn't sell well.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    Right now the status quo is being maintained. There may not be rules preventing writers from creating new characters or stories that Fox can immediately use for movies, but there doesn't seem to be a huge push for something new.
    Anytime they try to do something remotely new in the comics the old school fans complain loudly (especially if it involves brand new characters) and the books tend to have poor sales. Ex: The new Gen X title.

The effects on the comics will be minimal. There might be more promotion. They might undo the Magnus family retcon. That's about it.

I think we will see a gradual shift in how the X-Men are treated as the current plans play themselves out and it comes time for the next relaunch. I think the X-Line as a whole will become more risk-averse. Fewer experiments, fewer niche books. We're definitely not going to have Cyclops dead for a decade-plus like we did Jean. We'll probably see higher profile artists on the books again. Probably fewer joke characters created, possibly increased prominence of more traditionally marketable characters. I doubt it'll be anything earth-shaking for a while.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I'm sure there will be a bigger push in terms of big-name creators becoming affordable again for the X-editors. Unfortunately, a big push from Marvel so far has also meant putting out every conceivable spin-off with a lifespan of a handful of issues - see the onslaught of Guardians-related books of the last few years, where every team member was given their own ongoing series, almost all cancelled now, and with the main book currently seeing quite disappointing sales (despite being very well-done IMHO)

I think as long as Marvel's way is Quantity > Quality, the best we could hope for is for at least a couple of strong core books plus the usual plethora of hit-or-miss spin-offs.

Quite honestly, the quality of Marvel comics is pretty low right now so unless they stop nostalgia wanking and give us something new I don't think that we will get much good on the comic front regardless of the buy out.

Xmen can finally go back to marvels top sellers.

I......I don't have words for how happy I am right now!

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    i would expect the x-men to come back in a big, big way on comic books. the only reason they were sidelined in the first place was the movie rights situation. writers and creators across the spectrum have made no bones about x-men being their favorites to work on.

it's time for the real stars of marvel comics to make their big comeback.
    It depends on Ike Perlmutter. He lost Marvel Studios, and he's still in control of publishing. He can continue to suppress the X-MEN if he wants to, in the comics. Disney seems VERY aware of us! Aware of fan discussions! They went out of their way during all this business news to mention the X-Men and FF coming home under one roof. I don't think Disney as a corporation is going to let Mr. Perlmutter interfere with profits from the X-MEN. In other words, the excuse they used before for suppressing the X-MEN in merchandising and comics was economic (it was an excuse, in my opinion, not borne out by the facts) that excuse works the other way now! Brevoort especially used it as a cover for his attempt to bury the X-Men and advance his own office. Now, if Brevoort or anyone tries to block the X-MEN from becoming Marvel's premier property in comics or merchandising, they will be the ones who are trying to rob Disney of their $$. I only hope this doesn't mean the comics become less about quality art and story-telling, and more about mediocre merchandising for any upcoming Marvel/Disney X-MEN films. My biggest concern is continuity in the comics--I don't want to see the X-Men Universe history and continuity screwed over in the comics.

I think we're already beginning to see it. Instead of continuing to kill all the best characters off, they're starting to bring some back to life (we all know X-Men never die forever). Hopefully, they won't poison or disease all the mutants again anytime soon, or ship them off to any more hellish dimensions. I think we'll start to see them become more connected with the rest of the Marvel Universe, even outside of major Marvel events. The Avengers' reign as center of the Marvel Comics world might be coming to a close.

I'm sorry, in what way were the X-Men sidelined or suppressed in the comics? Because I think I missed that.

X-men and Tf2 fan. WolverineandDeadpool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    I'm sorry, in what way were the X-Men sidelined or suppressed in the comics? Because I think I missed that.
    The massive inhuman push a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by WolverineandDeadpool View Post
    The massive inhuman push a few years back.
    I don't see what that has to do with the X-Men. They still made X-books, the flagships still sold pretty well.