Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Except they didn't replace the X-Men with Inhumans, that suggests that there were no X-books, which there obviously were. Comic characters die all the time, it's a common trope, they always come back. Tony Stark and Bruce Banner also died recently, it's just cape comics. The Cyclops story was a culmination of stories that began post HoM, well before the release of DisMarvel movies. IvX was just bad writing, it was still a big event comic which prominently featured the X-Men, and if they were truly trying to make the X-Men less sympathetic, they failed spectacularly.
    Marvel 100% tried to replace the X-Men with Inhumans, and it failed miserably. What started out as a movie idea, to have Inhumans be the X-Men of the MCU, turned into a low budget tv series. When Inhumans comics sales also failed hard, they gave up and decided to bring back Jean, Logan, Professor X. Now that they'll have the X-Men movie rights back, I'm guessing you'll see Uncanny X-Men relaunched with an A-List cast, creative team, and they'll be featured prominently in Marvel marketing, even if the MCU and X-verse remain separate.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by OutbackX View Post
    I don't know, maybe I'm just biased as an X-Men fanboy, but that's the way it seemed to me. They weren't really attacking the X-Men comics, but its like they were trying to attack their popularity.
    Going back to Jemas and Quesada, Marvel viewed the X-Men franchise as if it were a licensed property and treated it as such. Once Perlmutter entered the picture, it only got worse.

I consider the Marts-Lowe-Alonso era of X-Men to be "the X-Men for people who don't like the X-Men". If you hate Xavier, it's for you. If you hate Scott and Jean, it's for you. If you don't like X-Men continuity, it's for you. If you prefer anti-heroes and villains to heroes, it's for you. If you prefer grimdark dysfunction and deconstruction, it's for you.

That appears at last to be ending. Hopefully, the new IP ownership situation will mean an even brighter future ahead.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I think we will see a gradual shift in how the X-Men are treated as the current plans play themselves out and it comes time for the next relaunch. I think the X-Line as a whole will become more risk-averse. Fewer experiments, fewer niche books. We're definitely not going to have Cyclops dead for a decade-plus like we did Jean. We'll probably see higher profile artists on the books again. Probably fewer joke characters created, possibly increased prominence of more traditionally marketable characters. I doubt it'll be anything earth-shaking for a while.
    I fully agree! I also think Cyclops now defenetly is not going to stay dead for long

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    i would expect the x-men to come back in a big, big way on comic books.
    I counted 13 books coming out this month. How many do you expect to come out afterward?
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I counted 13 books coming out this month. How many do you expect to come out afterward?
    I think the number of books is ok, although I expect Jean Grey, Iceman and Generation X to end soon and be replaced with others. I guess people who say that stuff talk mainly of x-men being important again in crossover events.

this was the number of books in 2004 (although some were final issues, like Weapon X or X-Statix). Id say that around 15 is the comfort zone for xmen books

Remember how Civil War 2 recently was all about that Inhuman Poochie who went back to his home planet.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Well this should obviously mark the end of "The Complex" approach to mutants. However, the fact remains that XMen/mutants as like "Brands" have still fallen pretty badly over time and are a lot lesser in overall public consciousness compared with Avengers now. Probably still higher than Inhumans though. So I don't think this will mean XMen will somehow become the absolute #1 force of Marvel that they were in the 80s and 90s. It just means probably going back to basically the early 2000s or so to mid 2000s, where Avengers were kind of pushed more but XMen were not being actively destroyed either.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    I think the number of books is ok, although I expect Jean Grey, Iceman and Generation X to end soon and be replaced with others. I guess people who say that stuff talk mainly of x-men being important again in crossover events.
    You mean, like AvX?
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Astonishing Member

You mean, like AvX?
    Yes, but without seeing the X-Men as something to use to make the Avengers more popular.
    -The first pages of the event consisted of Cyclops kicking a teenage girl in the gut and the Avengers rescuing civilians from a plane about to crash against a skyscraper. Quickly telling you whom you should like, whom you shouldnt.
    -Wolverine sided with the Avengers from the get go.
    -Phoenix Hosts need to practice Kung Fu with Iron Fist retcon
    -And then the whole Dark Phoenix Scott killing Xavier thing

perhaps now because of equal profits we will get equal treatment

Quote Originally Posted by RCX View Post
    I see a lot of people excited about the Cinematic Universe possibilities after this huge deal, and I understand, but I’m a comic book fan above everything else. We have seen the mutants been pushed aside and poorly dealt with over the last few years. We have heard Brevoort himself try to justify Marvel’s decisions based on financial matters, but now this will change. So I ask you, what do you think will change?
    I dont get what you expect to change. Things already changed this year with ResurXion. The X-men have been on an upswing more than they have in a decade. I guess teh only thing I can see is putting bigger talent on the books,

Incredible Member StephenFoxMonster's Avatar

Aren't the X-Men kind of getting their push now? Logan has an infinity stone and Jean is suppose to factor into that future event(?). Storm has book coming out, Iceman is still going, and we have minis coming out the woodwork. Seems like everything has been going good since they knew they were buying Fox.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Marvel have been pushing their female heroes but not giving the same treatment to the popular female X-Men. So hopefully this would mean they can the same push as sat Carol Danvers.
    Agreed it will have to change as the very reason Ike wouldn't promote them is gone. We need new editors and better writers. Our artists are good to great but these editors have got to go.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenFoxMonster View Post
    Aren't the X-Men kind of getting their push now? Logan has an infinity stone and Jean is suppose to factor into that future event(?). Storm has book coming out, Iceman is still going, and we have minis coming out the woodwork. Seems like everything has been going good since they knew they were buying Fox.
    I wonder if marvel knew ahead of time that this deal was in the works and started easing up on the xmen destruction.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wissenschaft View Post
    I wonder if marvel knew ahead of time that this deal was in the works and started easing up on the xmen destruction.
    No, because they'd have eased up on the merchandise too if that were the case.

Incredible Member StephenFoxMonster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wissenschaft View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    No, because they'd have eased up on the merchandise too if that were the case.
    They wouldn't push X-merch until a Marvel's X-Men film was ready to come out.

BANNED

Cancel the low selling ones, have a strong flagship as a foundation of all X books and bring back unused characters but don't go 90's crazy on creating new ones