View Poll Results: Should Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver Get Their Mutant Status Back?

Voters
205. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Make them Mutants Again

165 80.49%
  • No - Keep the Retcon

27 13.17%
  • Undecided

13 6.34%
Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I say keep them as they are, no more switching their backstories back and forth. It just gets way too convoluted and silly.

The whole "not being Magneto's children" was them being petty they didn't have the X-Men rights and trying to push the Inhumans forward.

Now, that is no longer necessary.

Considering all the retconning and confusion they've already caused with these two, just setting it back like "yeah they're really Magneto's children" again would be something minuscule in comparison to the stuff we've seen them go through.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    The whole "not being Magneto's children" was them being petty they didn't have the X-Men rights and trying to push the Inhumans forward.

Now, that is no longer necessary.

Considering all the retconning and confusion they've already caused with these two, just setting it back like "yeah they're really Magneto's children" again would be something minuscule in comparison to the stuff we've seen them go through.
    i agree, it was a very petty move on the side of the publisher. and did more harm than good.

i can't think of a single way Pietro has benefitted from that revelation. if anything, he has fallen to completely obscurity where previously he was a key character for the marvel universe

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agatha's Ghost View Post
    Disney needs to repair Peter David's retcon and return Polaris to her original status as Zaladane's experiment. I also prefer Disney keep Wanda and Pietro as they were originally intended -- two children that Magneto found and abused ... to his regret.
    Originally intended, second origin retcon same thing right.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    i agree, it was a very petty move on the side of the publisher. and did more harm than good.

i can't think of a single way Pietro has benefitted from that revelation. if anything, he has fallen to completely obscurity where previously he was a key character for the marvel universe
    I am guessing you didn't read any of Uncanny Avengers vol 3 cause those 2 Pietro things were literally in the first issue

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    I am guessing you didn't read any of Uncanny Avengers vol 3 cause those 2 Pietro things were literally in the first issue
    i rest my case. pietro was sabotaged into obscurity over movie rights

Do you think Pietro was swallowed up too? If not, why?

I think Magneto being their father is a big part of their story.

We have to admit that comics are quite a bit like soap operas with all these dead/alive, twins/secret siblings etc. Incest. etc.

Comics are soap operas for comic fans.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    i rest my case. pietro was sabotaged into obscurity over movie rights
    You're just screwing with me aren't you

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Do you think Pietro was swallowed up too? If not, why?
    It's not quite as bad with Pietro because he was a less popular character before the Magneto retcon, and so he wound up being more associated with the X-books than Wanda was.

There are good Quicksilver stories in the X-books, especially in the 1990s; there really aren't any good Scarlet Witch stories about her being Magneto's daughter unless you consider House of M good (it's a good story but not a very good Wanda story).

Having Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch as minor characters on Wolverine and the X-Men and not on Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes was bad for both of them, but worse for Wanda because she loses more from being treated as mostly an X-Men character.

I think the point of this merger was that petty thing; Marvel wanted to have mutants, X-characters in their universe.

So it may be a done deal that one way or the other, no matter what happens in comics (we know they tend to derive from each other, especially comics from the movie versions)

Mutants will be part of the MCU, with Wanda and Pietro revealed as the sad, unwilling, tragic but so juicy story-wise, children of Magneto.

I look forward to it, actually.

This is why I also think they will reboot their movie-verse. There are plenty of ways to do modern adaptations or re-adaptations of movies or classic comics plots.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I've said this before. I don't want a sudden retcon. If they change it back, do it subtly. Maybe hint that Wanda altered reality to make them not mutants.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I've said this before. I don't want a sudden retcon. If they change it back, do it subtly. Maybe hint that Wanda altered reality to make them not mutants.
    not only should marvel correct this, but i think an apology to the audience is in order.

narratively, there was no positive gain to this retcon for any of the house of m family.

On Wanda's solo series, she got a new mother, Natalya Maximoff. Their father though wasn't revealed. Just say Natalya and Magneto had a relationship. Whether they're mutants or not I don't really care all that much. I think it could be an actually interesting and ironic idea for Magneto's kids to not be mutants, but I don't mind if they are.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Marvel doesn't apologize.

That being said, I didn't read the Scarlet Witch solo book. What were your thoughts on it? I don't think Quicksilver got much from the retcon, but I've heard from people who read that book is it gave something for a character who had stagnated since Son of M.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agatha's Ghost View Post
    They do not have x-genes. If they're children of Magneto, they are not mutants. Rather, their powers result from the High Evolutionary's science, which is so advanced that it may as well be magic. Since the High Evolutionary preserved them for many years, I can imagine him endowing Magneto's human children with true power, not mere mutant power.
    Yeah, that was just a recent retcon to move them away from the X-Men property, though. Marvel should just undo it.