Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

Default I'm not a bad person, am I? (What your comics say about you)

I was looking at the state of my very small comic book collection (started 2 months ago) and I'm starting to wonder if I am as good of a person as I would like to think I am:

-Thanos #13-18 (Definitely a bad guy)
    -Cosmic Ghost Rider #1 (Worked with bad guys Mephisto/Galactus/Thanos, current status unknown?)
    -Venom #1-4 (Used to be considered a bad guy, but I think he is good now?)
    -Immortal Hulk #1-3 (I am pretty certain he is going to be a bad guy)
    -Ant-Man #1-5, Astonishing Ant-Man #1-13, Ant-Man and the Wasp #1-3 (Definitely a good guy)

It seems like I have a problem because I am clearly associating with some questionable individuals.

What do your collections/pull lists say about you? Is anyone else a closeted-bad guy like me?

And bonus question: if I buy some Guardians of the Galaxy comics I have been looking at will that redeem my soul or are they really more like anti-heros?

Discuss below!
    Baby Thanos

Extraordinary Member

I mean, mist if these are good books. So long as you're nice and kind in real life and you aren't one of those people anonymously sending me death threats over social media because I called your favorite writer a sexist pig, I think you're fine.

I don't think one's preferences in fiction reading has any real bearing on the kind of person they are.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I tend to like comics (and TV shows etc) with highly damaged and morally grey character, oftentimes going through a redemptive arc of some kind. Or the opposite of that, a fall from grace can be just as interesting, (like Breaking Bad) but i like face turns more because they are hopeful. (but just kinda living in a grey area with their personal damage is cool too) I love anti-heroes and anti-villains, and i love heel/face turns. Some of my favorite Marvel characters are like, Loki, Iron Man, Magneto, Jessica Jones, Elsa Bloodstone, Quicksilver, Gambit and so on. Regarding the OP, I've greatly enjoyed the Hulk run so far, though he wasn't really a character i connected much with before.

But on the other hand, I also like characters like Nightcrawler, Squirrel Girl, and Nightwing who are just, like, the nicest.

But I also don't think your choice of favorite characters necessarily reflects who you are as a person.
    Last edited by Raye; 07-27-2018 at 10:43 PM.

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I mean, mist if these are good books. So long as you're nice and kind in real life and you aren't one of those people anonymously sending me death threats over social media because I called your favorite writer a sexist pig, I think you're fine.
    No, I certainly wouldn't send death threats to anyone for any reason, unless maybe they told me I could never eat peanut butter icing again, which I think we can all agree is crossing a very serious line!

And where can I get a list of these writers so I know who to avoid?
    Baby Thanos

Hmmm that is an interesting thought. I agree with WebLurker that I don’t think your reading taste determine the person you are, but it is interesting to think about.

My pull:

Amazing Spider-Man
    ASM: Renew Your Vows
    Daredevil
    Venom
    Immortal Hulk
    Marvel 2 in 1
    The Flash

So I guess you could say that I’m sort of a loner, family is important, but I have a rebellious streak in me?
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Invincible Member

Don't worry about it, it more about how you live your life and less about what comics you read. At various times I've owned all sorts of comics from the Punisher to R. Crumb titles...

Two of my favorite characters are Deadpool and Gambit. Pretty much read everything they appear in. Not the peachiest of individuals but I think I'm a good person. I was just born in 1990

BANNED

Hey, if all these incessant hero vs hero battles, outright civil wars and revolving door prisons pass for morality in the Marvel universe then I don't want to be a good person.

Instead, let us all embrace the stern but fair leadership of Doctor Doom:

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I don't think one's preferences in fiction reading has any real bearing on the kind of person they are.
    ^This.1010

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Hey, if all these incessant hero vs hero battles, outright civil wars and revolving door prisons pass for morality in the Marvel universe then I don't want to be a good person.

Instead, let us all embrace the stern but fair leadership of Doctor Doom:

He lacks integrity. I'll go with Thanos instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    He lacks integrity. I'll go with Thanos instead.
    "I believe in justice, but I will defend my mother before justice." Albert Camus

According to Camus and Bast I'll go with Doom.
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

I collected a lot of Doom those past years but also almost every appearance of Janice Lincoln the new Beetle. I even bought her action figure! She's my favourite recent character along with Yabbat Ummon Tarru the Black Swan.

I'm probably a bad person...
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Hmmmm, let's see -- based on the titles that I most enjoyed reading:

1. The Ultimates/Mighty Avengers - Mission to fix all that is broken with the omniverse, as well as address any potential threats to Earth before they form. Nope, not a bad guy here.

2. The X-Men - Marvel's Civil Rights campaign for that last 55 or so years featuring what people today would call Social Justice Warriors. Nope, not a bad guy there, either, unless you're on the other side of the political spectrum.

3. Adam: Legend of the Blue Marvel - A stable genius with a heart of gold who is a true throwback to the classic heroes of yore. Nope, nope, nope.

The above says that I'm not a bad guy, but it could also say that I'm just looking for an escape from the day to day evils that I routinely face and unwittingly promulgate. Who can say?

BANNED

A Good person is a utopic being. There are no good guys. To think that someone is good is just naive.