Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Default Mashable article: Dear Disney, restore the original cut of 'Star Wars'

All I really care about with this Fox/Disney deal (from the SW perspective) is seeing the original pre-Special Edition versions of the original trilogy remastered for DVD and Blu-Ray.

I have my little "bonus disc" laserdisc-to-DVD non-remastered non-anamorphic-widescreen versions, but that's definitely not enough.

A proper restoration and re-release of Star Wars as it was seen in 1977, without the controversial retrofitting Lucas added in the 1997 Special Edition also released by Fox (the CGI Jabba the Hutt; Greedo shooting at Han) has been at the top of many fans' wishlists for years. There are dozens of free Star Wars "despecialized editions" from amateur digital restoration artists currently available in the secretive corners of the internet. All represent money lost to the coffers of the Mouse House.

Whether Lucas secured some sort of bargain as part of the Disney sale that his original movie would never be tweaked again or restored, we don't know. It's also possible that Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy simply has too much respect for her old friend and mentor to alter his most prized creation. (Currently, so far as Lucasfilm is concerned, the 2011 Blu-Ray edition of A New Hope is the definitive and only version that can be screened.)

But if Disney now feels able to monetize a widespread desire for true 1977 Star Wars without having to look over its shoulder at 20th Century Fox, it may yet do so.
    http://mashable.com/2017/12/14/disne.../#CKeJWkseHkqK

(though unrelated to the Fox deal, I'm also still wanting the entire (not just Boba Fett part) The Star Wars Holiday Special released officially)
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 12-15-2017 at 08:29 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Yes please!!! Really hope we finally get this! Would be awesome if it was released in May right before the Han Solo movie comes out.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boys View Post
    Yes please!!! Really hope we finally get this! Would be awesome if it was released in May right before the Han Solo movie comes out.
    If they start on it right now it won't even be finished by May.
    And they can't start on it for at least another year or so.

But I'm sure it'll happen. Too much money to leave on the table.