Page 332 of 1127 FirstFirst ... 232282322328329330331332333334335336342382432832 ... LastLast
Results 4,966 to 4,980 of 16893

Quote Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
    Held will already be Hyper Nevadian by that point.
    See what I mean? So in essence I am fighting with both hands behind my back.

Racial traits only start getting problematic when you're giving them multiple effects.

Take the Saiyan/Nevadian traits.

The Shingan can be powerful, but it requires the user to actually act on the information the sight provides.

And the Zenkai boost is at worst, a double-edged sword. It's not working (as per Cleric) if they're not injured enough, and if they're TOO injured, it's either taking them out of the fight or killing them outright.

Compare that to the ability to use multiple different elements fairly casually with not real coat besides the general stamina drain. I mean the transformations is fine, looking at it now. A few people can transform for stat boosts as a racial. It makes sense. But the TK does not.

Especially when you look at the technique that grants Chou marital mastery in ... All weaponry(?), and allows him to summon ... All weaponry(?).
    Last edited by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh; 02-16-2018 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Changed ability to technique, for clarity.

Chou: I had a ninja for a sword mentor. Circus. And I cannot summon all weapons. I do not do exotics aside chains. Not wield them but use tk with them. Do not know how to work a no staff either. Or a spear. Or a gun. Those are for wusses.

Me: And the transformations do not grant elements. That would be a two for one.

Dark Chou was using “all” its stars as a dumb ass meat wall.

“ Our” Chou will not have access to those elements.

Though I suppose ultimately it's irrelevant, since it'll either be usable in combat, or it won't; and if it goes too far it'll just get a "no".

I also think a quasi-dimensional stomach, while strange, is sort of like a duck companion. For flavor.

Stomach pun.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Chou Basara is as wacky as he is mysterious.

As far as I understand his abilities,the TK requires him to touch his opponent first I think. The 4-12 (?) elements thing requires a certain amount of prep before it's cast using a 'hadou sphere' pulled from the environment? It's rather unclear to me. After nuking everybody he's now working on holding reserve capacities since that was everything he had.

I don't know where the line begins and ends with the distinction from ki energy is.

I also don't quite understand the three beings in one thing either. I thought he was the reincarnation of the Destroyer. There is also a Hero King and a Saiyan in there?

No wonder the guy's having an identity crisis, I thought he hated Saiyans, that's gotta be rough.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives View Post
    Chou: I had a ninja for a sword mentor. Circus. And I cannot summon all weapons. I do not do exotics aside chains. Not wield them but use tk with them. Do not know how to work a no staff either. Or a spear. Or a gun. Those are for wusses.

Me: And the transformations do not grant elements. That would be a two for one.

Dark Chou was using “all” its stars as a dumb ass meat wall.

“ Our” Chou will not have access to those elements.
    IMHO you're going to have to make a *lot* of character profiles - or supplemental lore pieces - to justify these skills and plot elements. It'll help enrich and straighten out his rather fragmentary background (at least for this old man what might have missed things).

Especially if these wacky circus people are going to be involved in the tournament in some capacity. Apparently these people - the Band of Braves? - are immortals who know where Chou is at all times through some sort of psychic link. This could be a problem if any of them are captured, since his location compromises the party's as they're on the move, but I digress.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Racial traits only start getting problematic when you're giving them multiple effects.

Take the Saiyan/Nevadian traits.

The Shingan can be powerful, but it requires the user to actually act on the information the sight provides.

And the Zenkai boost is at worst, a double-edged sword. It's not working (as per Cleric) if they're not injured enough, and if they're TOO injured, it's either taking them out of the fight or killing them outright.

Compare that to the ability to use multiple different elements fairly casually with not real coat besides the general stamina drain. I mean the transformations is fine, looking at it now. A few people can transform for stat boosts as a racial. It makes sense. But the TK does not.

Especially when you look at the technique that grants Chou marital mastery in ... All weaponry(?), and allows him to summon ... All weaponry(?).
    Whether these skills have an impact in the plot beats is ultimately up to Cleric. Although my main concern is that tension and stakes in certain scenarios might go out the window, especially if certain abilities don't have hard limits.

For example:

The impregnable barrier with the force of god behind it-

KIKOHO

...Shut up, it doesn't work though, and now you're dying, idiot.

In PvP however, if you don't like it, don't sell it. CATCH THESE HORNS SON.

Retired Overlord

Though I suppose ultimately it's irrelevant, since it'll either be usable in combat, or it won't; and if it goes too far it'll just get a "no".

I also think a quasi-dimensional stomach, while strange, is sort of like a duck companion. For flavor.

Stomach pun.
    Proof positive that Ishtar is in the same boat as Erosa and just keeping the duck around for flavor.

As ever, Gen has taken my words and made them understandable. Truly, his path is one of bounteous insight.

Though.

PvP would be a curious thing at this point. Less for some, more for others.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

As ever, Gen has taken my words and made them understandable. Truly, his path is one of bounteous insight.

Though.

Truth be told, I hate PvP and its my least favored aspect of roleplaying. It's..partially to do with lets say bad experiences but overall just never got much out of it, much more enjoyed the interaction and building aspect, though no reason it can't be mixed with a fight. Just not my cup of tea personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion Reaver View Post
    Truth be told, I hate PvP and its my least favored aspect of roleplaying. It's..partially to do with lets say bad experiences but overall just never got much out of it, much more enjoyed the interaction and building aspect, though no reason it can't be mixed with a fight. Just not my cup of tea personally.
    There's a way to do it, and a way not to.

So far it's gone decent in DBM:

Ishtar v. Ochazuke
    Sarada v. Jack
    Sarada v. Charco
    Totoma v. Jack

Might be missing some, but these were all a nice blend of either light-hearted slapboxing, or fighting as a way of developing characters/interacting.

Most of the negative interactions have been team exercises (not negative in a "just bad" sense), or IG personality clashes/trolling. So like.. It's good for now.

But if people aren't careful, it can get much worse.

Arx Inosaan

: Cue Omake If professor Chou with glasses. And clip board.:

Time for some lore.

Dragon Orb Install: His only original skill taught this power up. It draws on energy/life force around as ammo for two purposes.

1: To cast off so he can use Construct again ( which is still a limited charge.)
    2: Or can pull off Kaioken and cast off “shell” so his next attack does multiples damage. The limit is two. No since trying to cheese as he can only safely trigger one Orb at a time.

: Next panel is Chou body with four ids.:

“ There are four of him in there. Himself, The Beast, The Hero, And a Sayian. Jinzi said Sayian have been to Earth before. He just does not know how long ago.” Hint: Back then Kami now had space help in dealing with Fife.

Now the Beast : Black monster thing.: Is no more. The original soul anchor and the other two kept its destructive blast in check. A wish, made by some reason ( to be revealed latter.) Made it for this being to be reborn, with a fourth new spark to be born of the Earth itself, something pure.

Then the world of man and circus life corrupted him utterly.

Now the beast now? Holds no sway it’s influence is now : Cue dragon thing the size of a bear cub, with silver and green: That development is for latter date.

I plot for “why” He was summoned/hatched after so many damn years as a rock, to be revealed in the Space Time Chamber.

Now the circus folk.

One is a skilled ninja and acrobat. Another is a womanizing strong man who is a lizard man.

Their current Leader is a alien sob who looks like HunterxHunter Ant Chimera king.

Old Lady Gao Uses magic, strings of the Earth to keep tabs on our confused anti hero. Rao can summon creatures and keeps Chou in check for so long. By ****ing his brains out. As for Scarlet, taught him blade summon trick.

The link can be cut short should it endanger the two parties. And Gainas frail as she is gifts in robotic power armor that looks like a muscular king fu Master.

Now as for Sayian? He is part Sayian. No zenkai or giant monkey though. Due to soul tampering. But has “ hidden depths” and he does hate Sayian. He encountered one on Earth a year prior, beat her fair and square and had gate mating, then she ate all his damne food, so he sent her back into space. As hevthen spent what seemed like a eternity looking for food ( because he does have that part of a sayian. The HUNGER.)

Also hates his neck monkey tail, hates fur.

Let’s see...

Yes Construct needs prep and Dragon Orb Install requires a massive amount of time/focus. Which is why he spams it since no one bothers with him.

And his tk works on inanimate options like normal, but needs to tag beings with a ki signature to then imprint it into them. Adam now has a energy signature. So applies for him now.

And his weapons? He uses them for tk mostly. As he finds it more effective to use them mentally. Hands have limits. Not free floating though.

Though.

It depends on the character, really.

Sarada, Totoma, Charco and Jack (without smokes) have been established as characters needing to punch things to get out of their system. I think the at start of the game it may have had a soft impact 'levelling up' on power, but I don't think that'd be set in stone because if grinding were a thing in text-based RPGs that opens the floodgates to all sorts of asspulls.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion Reaver View Post
    Nah I get you. Everyone wants to be the strongest dood, and the only way to prove that is by beating some other dood. It's when winning the game takes precedence over telling a story that this sort of thing gets precarious.

Fights, like all interactions, should be in service to telling a story. It's the most blunt and direct sort of dramatic conflict, but it becomes meaningless if we're basically just mashing our action figures against each other. What each charactee's themes expresssed through their abilities mean requires a dramatic purpose when pit against one another.

Though like Cthulu said it's been pretty respectful so far between players and their abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    In the original SHR, Xellos for the longest time effectively had one power: ice. He had a secondary fire magic that he hardly ever used, but until he became a mana master he just kept coming up with cooler ways to use ice. Ice quake, ice torrent, ice body, ice sun...
    I have an idea as to how to power her up, just haven't decided if I should do it.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Retired Overlord

For me it depends on the context.

Pvp for the sake throwing around your huge game winning powerset is generally the poison of these types of rps. The original You vs The World games they had on this board always stuck in my head as a really bad example of that.

But pvp for the sake of telling a story, or just for the sake of throwing random banter and such around can be a really good thing. The kinda pvp it doesn't matter who "wins" the fight in the end as long as you got the write some enjoyable scenes from it.

Midori: I wonder what the 'shipping' for me is like for this game?

*Midori grabs a laptop*

Midori: Hmmm, Midori x Sarada... Midori x Adam... Midori x Erosa... Midori x Jinzi... Midori x Sh-Shiro?! Midori x Shiro x Dr. Nijimoto?!

*Midori calmly closes the laptop, stands up, and walks over to a trashcan, throwing the laptop in. She then walks off only to return with paper, dry wood, and a couple of bottles of lighter fluid. Throwing in the paper and dry wood, she pours the lighter fluid in and fires her laser vision into it, setting it alight*

Midori *watching the fire burn*: Let the fire burn, taking this twisted monstrosity and cleanse it from this world.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Yeah. Pvp for sake of story is the best. I remember those times. Still got the poison in me from. Then and prior too. ( Then again I Remember inn shr1 Daichi was trying to make a guy win the fight but work for it. He threw dust in his eyes like it would phase him considering Daichi had Daredevil senses. The guy did not even research me and he blew up ppl at ki rank 5 in power. I always had habit of power gaming the GM. Neo DBZ And SHR had moments. But against other players? I am a jobber.)