All-New Member

Default Favourite Lgbt/of Colour/Disabled/Etc character(s) and why they matter to you

I cannot describe the joy I get when I find a character I really identify with. I love readiu fantastic tales of fantastic heroes but there's always something special when I see myself in that hero.

I could talk about so many important characters and storylines but To start it off I'm going to focus on my current tears of joy.

I grew up being a huge Batman and Doctor Who fan as Batman was a human without superpowers and Doctor Who traveled with humans without superpowers.

Although I may tell other tales as this thread gets goimg today I am posting about Barbara Gordon.

I finally got ahold of Gail Simones Batgirl Run from 2011. After 3 years of being confined to a wheelchair I got a new prosthetic brace and am walking again.

So is Gail Simone's Batgirl. In a series of dark but empowering tales Batgirl is learning to be a hero again and walking again. She still has horrific PTSD and although her arms have tremendous strength she is still having a lot of trouble with her legs not having the superhero strength they once had.

In the first two trades Gail paints the truest most beautifully perfect picture of someone's struggles after 3 years of not walking I feel as if I am reading about myself.

I can not describe the joy and tears I feel reading such an empowering set of stories. I am known on twitter as The Goddamn Batwoman but even though Barbara is not a Jewish lesbian like myself and Kate I find a common ground and identity with Bat girl that I rarely find with a comics character.

I also told Gail!!! Although Batgirl, after "6 years" of walkimg and heroics, does not go into her past as much there are still nods to it and because of Gail she will always feel like a true inspiration to me.

I have also been reading the Cataclysm into No Mans Land arc and I love how much of a badass Barbara is. And little touches like "every Waynetech building is equipped with wheelchair ramps and access" that keep my childhood love of Batman holding fast.

Also, this story is also about Gail too. There are so many ways that Bat girl's return could have gone bad but because of her it was handled with grace and has still stayed in the minds of other creators on Batgirl titles.

So for me my favourite is Batgirl and Gail Simone.

I just want to make sure that this thread is broad. Your favourite character and why and sometimes it's not just the character but who writes them that makes them our favourite.

I think most people know what an amazin writer Gail is but I wanted to share her take on Batgirl because it's rare I see someone get what I go through as a disabled girl so absolutely right. She also nailed the PTSD aspect of Barbara's struggle as that's something I also deal with.

So who are your favourite diverse characters or storylimes and why do they resonate for you?

It's rare to find accurate portrayals of people with type 1 diabetes in fiction. Usually, there are blanket jokes or a person on the ground needing a shot of insulin or "they'll die". Grant Morrison's Joe is T1D and much of the story has to do with him trying to get to the refrigerator for soda to fix a low blood sugar. The fantasy aspects of the story can be explained by the warped thoughts of an extremely low blood sugar.

Trust me on this, when your brain is operating on a thrid of the blood glucose it's designed to run on, your thoughts and perceptions can be VERY different. This is a respectful, honest, realistic portrayal of an often scary part of diabetic's lives. And it's Grant Morrison writing for Vertigo. Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

BANNED

Oaf Jadwiga from the Wuvable Oaf series by Ed Luce

He's adorable, hirsute, gay, nice to animals, and he listens to Morrissey. It's like he was tailor-made for me.

Last edited by Vegan Daddy; 12-15-2017 at 05:40 PM.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

You might call my family a melting pot of sorts. I have relatives that are white, black and Hispanic. I have two very close family members who are gay.

I don't like it when comic book companies or TV shows have minority characters or gay characters just for the sake of it. Like a token piece so they can say "See, our book has diversity" or "See, our TV show has diversity".

What I do like is when they actually make a great character who also happens to be gay or a minority character. One of those is Batwoman, Kate Kane. I have loved her character since she first appeared and even more so after reading Elegy. That is one of the best comic book runs of all time. And her own book has been fantastic as well.

I also like Miles Morales. Not only is he a cool characters with Spider-Man's powers plus some more unique powers of his own that Spider-Man doesn't have, but he's an amazing character with a lot of personality and reminds me of Peter when he first started out as Spider-Man. Learning, growing, etc.

And he's half black, half Hispanic. Normally, that wouldn't matter to me, but it's nice to see a character of mixed heritage like that who is so popular and is a great character as well. I wish Marvel would give him his own movie (and not just the animated one). But a real movie. I think he's a character that a lot of young kids could look up to.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but those two come immediately to my mind when you asked this question.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

I don't really know any LGBT disabled poc characters that's pretty niche. I don't think I'm reading enough

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    Oaf Jadwiga from the Wuvable Oaf series by Ed Luce

He's adorable, hirsute, gay, nice to animals, and he listens to Morrissey. It's like he was tailor-made for me.

Thank you for including a panel, I initially shyed away because it was labeles a romance comic.... But these panels are so adorable and "wuvable" I am going to check him out. Cause I want to read the rest of this story!