Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default SPOILERS about...sigh...Kylo Ren

Kylo would have been killed by one of Snoke's underlings in the throne room if Rey hadn't tossed him her lightsaber.

It's bad enough that this dude lost his first fight but now he needs to be saved from underlings?

Extraordinary Member

He wiped out most of those guys on his own, taking on like three at once, while Rey struggled with one of them.

That the guards actually proved to be a match to him, numerical advantage aside, says more about strong they are than Kylo Ren being weak.

But hey, if you want to ignore the details of every single Kylo Ren fight ever you do that.

I was too busy being impressed by the choreography of the scene to care

seriously it's easily my favorite lightsaber scene to date

Those guys obviously weren't just common goons. And didn't he end up taking most of them down by himself anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    Those guys obviously weren't just common goons. And didn't he end up taking most of them down by himself anyway?
    Yup.

And they may or may not be the 6 Jedi Kylo took with him, the Knights of Ren. In fact, their weapons looked similar to the Force Dream Knights in TFA.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Yup.

And they may or may not be the 6 Jedi Kylo took with him, the Knights of Ren. In fact, their weapons looked similar to the Force Dream Knights in TFA.
    I hope not, if for no other reason than the character concept still has merit and no such connection was really hinted at in this film.

The fight scene is boss, though, especially since the film shows that the guards have lightsaber-resistant armor to at least some extent. Its a great moment in the film. My biggest tissue is that while I like Snoke dying, I felt the character still feels too derivative of Palpatine, without enough distinction. I still think they should have had Rey or Kylo rip out the information that Snoke was using his powers to tinker with Ben and Luke's mind back when they had their fight, and thus show Kylo making the deduction that Snoke saw him as a "cur" similar to Hux, a tool to be used. It would have been a nice distinction between Snoke and Palpatine by making Snoke a greater risk taker and emphasized a more finesse nature to his manipulation.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    He wiped out most of those guys on his own, taking on like three at once, while Rey struggled with one of them.

That the guards actually proved to be a match to him, numerical advantage aside, says more about strong they are than Kylo Ren being weak.

But hey, if you want to ignore the details of every single Kylo Ren fight ever you do that.
    Didn't Kylo return to "complete his training"? Didn't Rey tell Luke that Kylo was growing stronger? I could see Rey growing stronger in the force but didn't see anything that indicated that Kylo was getting stronger. As for your "every single Kylo Ren fight ever"comment? We don't have that many to go on. We all know that good is going to win, but evil at least has to give the impression that it could put up a fight. This is the second movie in a trilogy and Kylo Ren is not earning his keep.

Yup.

Nope, if we are going to see the Knights it will be in the last movie, a little something new to spice up the toyline.

I agree that having effective guards is a major violation of Star Wars canon.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Didn't Kylo return to "complete his training"? Didn't Rey tell Luke that Kylo was growing stronger? I could see Rey growing stronger in the force but didn't see anything that indicated that Kylo was getting stronger. As for your "every single Kylo Ren fight ever"comment? We don't have that many to go on. We all know that good is going to win, but evil at least has to give the impression that it could put up a fight. This is the second movie in a trilogy and Kylo Ren is not earning his keep.
    He's doing just fine and is more than earning his keep.

Here's a bunch of things we've seen him do throughout two movies.

- Show off force tricks we've never seen before in the movie (holding a blaster shot stuck in mid air)
    - He's got enough fine control to sneakily move Rey's light saber into position and turn it on for a killing blow while deceiving a powerful and perceptive force master
    - He's got massive endurance, which we can see from him beating Finn and holding his own against Rey despite having a large bleeding blaster wound in his guy after being shot by a blaster that not kills strom troopers but sends them flying through the air.
    - He sliced up multiple skilled opponents before one of them gets him in a bad position and he needs bit of help.
    - He just straight up took over the First Order and is so damn powerful nobody really dared challenge him on it.

So yeah, fucking solid all around.

I actually thought this one was a huge redemption of his character. Hell im now rooting for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    I agree that having effective guards is a major violation of Star Wars canon.
    Effective troopers and guards in a Star Wars movie. CONTINUITY ERROR!

I love it.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Nope, if we are going to see the Knights it will be in the last movie, a little something new to spice up the toyline.
    I hope so but that would mean Rey is going to be carving up a ton of bad guys during her path to stop Kylo.

I hope so but that would mean Rey is going to be carving up a ton of bad guys during her path to stop Kylo.
    At the rate Rey is progressing compared to the rate Kylo is progressing that won't be much of a fight.

I'm guessing they're kind of what fans wished the Emperor's Royal Guards were (something explored in Dark Horse's Crimson Empire trilogy), something that was kind of deflated by them getting beaten by Yoda in ROTJ.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth