Cool Filmation Era - The Adventures of Batman (1968-1969)

Let's discuss this underrated and often forgotten campy cartoon. Some of the episodes are actually quite good and hilarious, my favorites being: "Hizzoner, the Joker", "Simon the Pieman", "From Catwoman with Love", "It Takes Two to Make a Team".

And Larry Storch's Joker is so much better than Lennie Weinrib's cringe take on him in 1977's The New Adventures of Batman.

Astonishing Member

I enjoy re-watching this series at least once a year or more.

Yeah, the animation is primitive by today's standards; when I was young, that was not so. The plots are straight-forward Batman stories that I sometimes wish I could read today.

Simon the Pieman and Doll-Man are great villains and great episodes. I wish I could see them in the comics. The Judge, not so much.

I was not fond of the Catwoman's costume but she was my favorite villain (and the only villainess! That should not have been even in the late 60s). Scarecrow looked more like Coco the Clown but I like him.

Mad Hatter and Scarecrow are two of my favorite episodes.

So many good memories.

(If they did a Batman '66 comic, then why not a Adventures of Batman '68 comic?)
    Last edited by scary harpy; 12-15-2017 at 05:48 PM.

I very much agree with everything you've said, it was a fun cartoon with a lot of creativity and heart to it: Joker-mice, Alfred saving Batman & Robin from doing time in jail by using the Bat-Copter, the Joker, Penguin and the Riddler teaming up to take our heroes down without any big quarrels. Fun, exciting, daring and adventurous. And yes, I think they should totally give your '68 comic idea a go, although, since they haven't done a lot of promotion for the Adventures of Batman series in general (as much as they did for the 1989/66 franchises) I am not quite sure if there would be a demand for it.

Also, I've been talking to some folks recently, and there's a strange controversy going on about whether it was actually Ted Knight who voiced the Joker and not Larry Storch (whose name never showed up in the credits): https://twitter.com/ObservofCreativ/...43877241655302

BANNED

Animation reminds me of King of the Hill

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    (If they did a Batman '66 comic, then why not a Adventures of Batman '68 comic?)
    They should do a comic for this series. I'd buy the heck out of it if they did.

It's been a while since I've even thought about this particular cartoon but now I feel the need to revisit it. Simon the Pieman was a particular favorite of mine back in the day.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 12-17-2017 at 10:02 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Okay, so I spoke to Paul Dini today about the Filmation Era voiceover problem. Turns out: Larry Storch did the voice for the Scooby-Doo films by Hanna-Barbera and Ted Knight was the voice of the Joker during the Filmation era (1968).

Incredible Member

I loved these cartoons. I am glad they have been released on DVD.

Spectacular Member

I love Carmine Infantino’s ‘New Look’ Batman designs, and the character models for this show are highly influenced by them (except maybe Batgirl- she looks great here, but I think would have looked even better if she were a direct Infantino translation).

This has been called an unofficial season four for Batman’66- while the target audience was three-to-ten year-olds, the stories have a great Silver Age comic feel.
    I think it’s the best Batman animation until that show that premiered in the fall of 1992.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbattery View Post
    This has been called an unofficial season four for Batman’66- while the target audience was three-to-ten year-olds, the stories have a great Silver Age comic feel.
    This had been called a unofficial season 4 for Batman '66? Really?

What about Filmation's The New Adventures of Batman? That was voiced by Adam West and Burt Ward. I thought that had a more Batman '66 vibe than The Adventures of Batman.

Spectacular Member

This had been called a unofficial season 4 for Batman '66? Really?

What about Filmation's The New Adventures of Batman? That was voiced by Adam West and Burt Ward. I thought that had a more Batman '66 vibe than The Adventures of Batman.
    I often check out the 1966 Batman Message Board, which is frequented by hardcore devotees of the Classic series, including the likes of Wally Wingert (who voiced the Riddler in the recent Batman’66 animated films) and Ralph Garman (who co-wrote the Batman’66-Green Hornet crossover comics with Kevin Smith). It was there that I saw it referred to as a sort of unofficial fourth season.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbattery View Post
    I often check out the 1966 Batman Message Board, which is frequented by hardcore devotees of the Classic series, including the likes of Wally Wingert (who voiced the Riddler in the recent Batman’66 animated films) and Ralph Garman (who co-wrote the Batman’66-Green Hornet crossover comics with Kevin Smith). It was there that I saw it referred to as a sort of unofficial fourth season.
    I did not know this.

Thank you.

Spectacular Member

I did not know this.

Thank you.
    Certainly!
    I just browsed through some of the old threads there looking for Filmation or the possible-NBC-season-four-pickup conversations, and I couldn’t find any references to the Filmation series being a sort-of Batman’66 season 4, but darn it(!), I know it was there that I saw it!
    Anyway, this thread has made me need to watch a couple of episodes right now!