Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Default Jean Grey: Marvel's Wonder Woman

With the acquisition of the Fox assets from Disney, that means that the film rights for the X-Men are now back at Marvel Studios. This also means that the push of the Inhumans over the X-Men and the lack of the X-Men in any outside media has come to an end, but not just that. Something that Marvel has lacked for as long as DC has had it is a leading lady: overall, this is something that has been incredibly ill defined, while DC has had their own in Wonder Woman. Marvel has been pushing Carol Danvers for this position for quite some time now, and while I love Carol (or at least, used to), it's not really working out. And let's be honest, up until yesterday, Fox had the rights to all of the most compelling Marvel women.

Naturally, the first assumption for Marvel's Wonder Woman is Storm, but... I'm not so convinced. I love her too, but I think there's one character that fits better:

Jean Grey.

Jean Grey is one of Marvel's original ladies, appearing first all the way back in the year 1963, and is one of the X-Men that people will recognize almost immediately due to her presence in outside media. (Alongside Storm, Cyclops, Iceman, and Professor X) She has also been at the core of one of Marvel's biggest storylines: the Dark Phoenix Saga, something that has had a lasting hold on Marvel for generations now. There are a lot of people that think that Jean is the heart of the X-Men, and that the team isn't the same without her... which is true. The X-Men haven't been the same without her for over a decade now; and just before she died, she was the center of the X-Men's flagship title, New X-Men. Following that there was a whole mini-series (PHOENIX: ENDSONG) dedicated to her, and numerous post-humus experiences by her.

Marvel editorial seems to realize too. She got her own oneshot in 2012, was the focus of the X-Men: First Class oneshot, and that's not to mention the presence that the Phoenix has had since 2006. One of the biggest things to happen to the franchise in recent memory is the arrival of the original X-Men from the past: something done specifically to allow us to have at least one version of Jean Grey back. Teen Jean has been a divisive force in comics since her arrival, and was almost immediately appointed the leader of the Original X-Men by Storm when she first arrived in the present, which has stuck into the current pages of X-Men Blue, apart from her time spent in Extraordinary X-Men. She's had her own moderately successful solo title.

And now, in just one month's time, the original Jean Grey will be back in full force, once again in another mini-series entirely dedicated to her. There's no singular X-Men character other than perhaps Charles Xavier and Magneto that have had such an influence on the X-Men and Marvel Comics at large like Jean Grey has, and no female Marvel character has really come close while also maintaining visibility (despite being out of the comics for such a long time) in outside media. Not only has the teenage version led the rest of the teenage original five and their compatriots since their arrival in the present, but one month after the return of the adult Jean Grey, she will be the headliner of her own book (X-MEN: RED) and headlining the team, as well. She is also at the center of the upcoming Fox X-Men film, X-Men: Dark Phoenix, and was a crucial part of both X-Men: Apocalypse, the Wolverine, and of course the original trilogy (for better or worse.)

All it would take to elevate Jean to the status of Wonder Woman is even more visibility than she has, and a push by Marvel comics themselves. Let Adult Jean have her own solo after the moderate success of teen Jean's, include her in more storylines outside of just the X-Men, include her in films, television, and video games... and even then it wouldn't be all that hard.

And not only would Jean's own status be elevated, but the X-Men would benefit as well, potentially even putting them back to the status that they once held even less than fifteen years ago.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Endsong View Post
    With the acquisition of the Fox assets from Disney, that means that the film rights for the X-Men are now back at Marvel Studios. This also means that the push of the Inhumans over the X-Men and the lack of the X-Men in any outside media has come to an end, but not just that. Something that Marvel has lacked for as long as DC has had it is a leading lady: overall, this is something that has been incredibly ill defined, while DC has had their own in Wonder Woman. Marvel has been pushing Carol Danvers for this position for quite some time now, and while I love Carol (or at least, used to), it's not really working out. And let's be honest, up until yesterday, Fox had the rights to all of the most compelling Marvel women.

Naturally, the first assumption for Marvel's Wonder Woman is Storm, but... I'm not so convinced. I love her too, but I think there's one character that fits better:

Jean Grey.

Jean Grey is one of Marvel's original ladies, appearing first all the way back in the year 1963, and is one of the X-Men that people will recognize almost immediately due to her presence in outside media. (Alongside Storm, Cyclops, Iceman, and Professor X) She has also been at the core of one of Marvel's biggest storylines: the Dark Phoenix Saga, something that has had a lasting hold on Marvel for generations now. There are a lot of people that think that Jean is the heart of the X-Men, and that the team isn't the same without her... which is true. The X-Men haven't been the same without her for over a decade now; and just before she died, she was the center of the X-Men's flagship title, New X-Men. Following that there was a whole mini-series (PHOENIX: ENDSONG) dedicated to her, and numerous post-humus experiences by her.

Marvel editorial seems to realize too. She got her own oneshot in 2012, was the focus of the X-Men: First Class oneshot, and that's not to mention the presence that the Phoenix has had since 2006. One of the biggest things to happen to the franchise in recent memory is the arrival of the original X-Men from the past: something done specifically to allow us to have at least one version of Jean Grey back. Teen Jean has been a divisive force in comics since her arrival, and was almost immediately appointed the leader of the Original X-Men by Storm when she first arrived in the present, which has stuck into the current pages of X-Men Blue, apart from her time spent in Extraordinary X-Men. She's had her own moderately successful solo title.

And now, in just one month's time, the original Jean Grey will be back in full force, once again in another mini-series entirely dedicated to her. There's no singular X-Men character other than perhaps Charles Xavier and Magneto that have had such an influence on the X-Men and Marvel Comics at large like Jean Grey has, and no female Marvel character has really come close while also maintaining visibility (despite being out of the comics for such a long time) in outside media. Not only has the teenage version led the rest of the teenage original five and their compatriots since their arrival in the present, but one month after the return of the adult Jean Grey, she will be the headliner of her own book (X-MEN: RED) and headlining the team, as well. She is also at the center of the upcoming Fox X-Men film, X-Men: Dark Phoenix, and was a crucial part of both X-Men: Apocalypse, the Wolverine, and of course the original trilogy (for better or worse.)

All it would take to elevate Jean to the status of Wonder Woman is even more visibility than she has, and a push by Marvel comics themselves. Let Adult Jean have her own solo after the moderate success of teen Jean's, include her in more storylines outside of just the X-Men, include her in films, television, and video games... and even then it wouldn't be all that hard.

And not only would Jean's own status be elevated, but the X-Men would benefit as well, potentially even putting them back to the status that they once held even less than fifteen years ago.
    Well its plausible...

Honestly I think Storm will take the Marvel's Wonder Woman spot, and don't me wrong, she earned it.

But I do hope the fatigue of Phoenix storylines rehash doesn't hurt Jean's MCU future.

But even better, I hope Marvel simply decides to have more than one Wonder Woman.

Nah, I think the first assumption is Captain Marvel as she bares the company's namesake and they've been pushing her for a decade as the lead female. I think the release of her movie will be telling if they manage to succeed with the general public. I love Jean but she needs to be able to stand solo before she can claim this spot and she hasnt gotten that push yet. And Im not simply talking just a solo series, but mini, film, animated movie, etc.... Jean has always been seen as part of an ensemble and hasnt stood on her own much
    Last edited by Havok83; 12-15-2017 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Nah, I think the first assumption is Captain Marvel as she bares the company's namesake and they've been pushing her for a decade as the lead female. I think the release of her movie will be telling if they manage to succeed with the general public. I love Jean but she needs to be able to stand solo before she can claim this spot and she hasnt gotten that push yet. And Im not simply talking just a solo series, but mini, film, animated movie, etc.... Jean has always been seen as part of an ensemble and hasnt stood on her own much
    I meant following Carol, for what that's worth, since her push isn't really working out.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

No. That's Storm.

jean grey is simply not powerful enough to hold the wonder woman title without a boost from the phoenix poltergeist.

and then with that, she's 50/50 prone to annihilating existence depending on her mood.

wonder woman is all about grace under pressure, which jean can pull off sometimes. but not all the time. storm on the other hand is the definition of power and composure

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    No. That's Storm.
    I'm going to be frank: as much as Jean hasn't had the outside push, at least she has iconic storylines. Storm... kind of doesn't. There hasn't been any storyline that revolves around Storm in the way there have been multiple that have Jean.

I'm going to be frank: as much as Jean hasn't had the outside push, at least she has iconic storylines. Storm... kind of doesn't. There hasn't been any storyline that revolves around Storm in the way there have been multiple that have Jean.
    The Phoenix Saga is an iconic storyline, for sure.

But Storm is an inconic character, with an uncommon background (Parents death, Streets of Cairo, worshipped as a Goddess).

Even Marvel knows she's their Wonder Woman, as they've showed in Marvel Vs DC.

I think Jean is great, but let's not kid ourselves.

That doesn't really matter in the grander scope of things though. Like sure, maybe the Comic fans will see Jean as having more of an "oomph" because of her storylines. But the MCU isn't about who has the best comic storylines, or who the comic readers even care about.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    jean grey is simply not powerful enough to hold the wonder woman title without a boost from the phoenix poltergeist.

and then with that, she's 50/50 prone to annihilating existence depending on her mood.

wonder woman is all about grace under pressure, which jean can pull off sometimes. but not all the time. storm on the other hand is the definition of power and composure
    Oh pls, Wonder Woman only recently became about Women power and grace under pressure. Let's not pretend like these characters weren't stereotypes upon their inception.

Like no one even thinks of Invisible Woman, in spite of being Marvel's 1st woman, because she's never been able to burst that bubble.

BANNED

Jean Grey.

If they can push Carol, they can definitely and should push Jean.

I feel like what's most important is that she gets some good stories and development first when she gets back. She needs to take her spot in the Marvel universe if you want her to be the face of it. It also seems very apparent that Carol is going to be the closest thing to the WW of Marvel especially if her movie does well but I don't want that to dissuade the idea of any other superheroine getting the spotlight both in the mcu and in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Grey View Post
    That doesn't really matter in the grander scope of things though. Like sure, maybe the Comic fans will see Jean as having more of an "oomph" because of her storylines. But the MCU isn't about who has the best comic storylines, or who the comic readers even care about.

Oh pls, Wonder Woman only recently became about Women power and grace under pressure. Let's not pretend like these characters weren't stereotypes upon their inception.

Like no one even thinks of Invisible Woman, in spite of being Marvel's 1st woman, because she's never been able to burst that bubble.
    oh please yourself.

jean doesnt hold a candle to diana and never will.

Quote Originally Posted by ShepardOakenshieldPrime View Post
    I feel like what's most important is that she gets some good stories and development first when she gets back. She needs to take her spot in the Marvel universe if you want her to be the face of it. It also seems very apparent that Carol is going to be the closest thing to the WW of Marvel especially if her movie does well but I don't want that to dissuade the idea of any other superheroine getting the spotlight both in the mcu and in the comics.
    Trying to force Jean into a huge new role/the spotlight could backfire pretty badly.

And regardless of who it is that becomes Marvels WW, she will need to be part of the Avengers. Fox now owning the rights for the X-men/Mutants won't change the fact that the Avengers will still be considered the A-team. And the leading lady of Marvel needs to a part of that team.

Jean with Phoenix who knows maybe .

but I think Storm has all the advantages in his favor.