Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Will the new Batman movies be better than MCU X-Men?

This is the potential face offs of the 2020s at some point from Marvel and DC movies Though I think the superhero genre is on the way out. I truly believe Steven Spielberg when he compared it to westerns. at the same time we are moving to a new phrase that could be a way to limit the saturation of these movies. MCU has X-Men, DC has kind of a Christopher Nolan successor back as Zack Snyder hangs in the towels.

There is a good chance the first MCU X-Men movie will come out around the same time as the new Batman Movies written and directed by Matt Reeves. What are the chances of the MCU X-MEN been better? the chances look very slim. Will fun, gags spectacles, big budget, little substance MCU X-Men be a true match for the more serious, human direct approach and theme based Batman movies if they are released the same year? or are we going to have another Iron Man and The Dark Knight moment in 2008. And the aftermath and the consequences, Will MCU X-Men survive when they are put to the question of how the DC new Batman was what an X-Men movie should have been like and not what MCU made, something likely similar to Guardians of the Galaxy than X-Men? how much of a threat and a art house challenge will MCU X-Men be after they follow the overused gaged up marvel formula to a inimitable craftsman work of Batman as we know DC is going to be. it's Batman after all.

Am a big fan of X-Men and I am already getting the right instincts that I will end up loving the the new Batman movies over the MCU X-Men movies since I already love the planet of the apes trilogy more than all the MCU movies. Are there any xmen fans that feel the same way just based on what we know so far.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Shouldve added a poll

X-MEN > Batman
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    Shouldve added a poll

X-MEN > Batman
    It is arguably only true is we put Logan, X2 united, Days Of Future Past, X-Men 2000, X-Men First Class with the best of the Batman movies and Matt Reeves movies. Not if you put the future MCU GOTG X-Men movies.

We can't predict the future can we?

If you look at the history of the MCU films though I think it will do VERY well. Unlike the recent DCU which is tanking other than WW. Sorry man, nuX-Men MCU is probably going to rock everyone's world and you'll be sitting there secretly enjoying it too I'll reckon.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by uebersoldat View Post
    We can't predict the future can we?

If you look at the history of the MCU films though I think it will do VERY well. Unlike the recent DCU which is tanking other than WW. Sorry man, nuX-Men MCU is probably going to rock everyone's world and you'll be sitting there secretly enjoying it too I'll reckon.
    Snyder was the bad egg in the basket. he is out. The new guy in already has films that makes the MCU movies look like nothing. The mcu xmen could do well but it's not the same as been better or in the same level of arthouse as the new batman movies will likely be. I guess you can say GOTG 2 and Spiderman Homecoming did well but were they in the same level of art house as Logan? ofcourse not. 10 years ago , Iron Man did well, was it in the same level of arthouse as The Dark Knight? ofcourse not.

The MCU X-Men could do well (as in money and the children demographic that will like the film the most) but could still be very bad compared to the new Batman movies released in the same year and past movies (X2, DOFP) hunting it especially if MCU does go the gag guardians of the galaxy route with their xmen movies as they have been doing with all their movies with nothing to likely to change. the new batman movies could be superior to the mcu xmen for the very same reasons War of the planet of the apes was superior to GOTG 2 and Spiderman Homecoming.

I think 2020 is a very optimistic prediction for our first MCU-brand X-Men film. Disney won't have full ownership of Fox until about October at the earliest, by which point they'll be hip-deep in editing for Captain Marvel and Avengers: The Film With No Name, plus filming on Spider-Man Undergrad Dance and at least 2 confirmed 2020 entries (Guardians 3 and Strange 2) will be gearing up. Marvel Studios has their development cycle down to a science and I'm sure there's already ideas being bounced around r.e. how to debut the X-Men but I expect they'll take more time than that to sort it out.

Beyond that...it is funny how you bring up the contrasting fortunes of Iron Man and The Dark Knight like that was some horrific deathblow to the MCU. Yes, TDK did bigger business, but what were the overall impacts? IM was the first step of the MCU and essentially generated enough goodwill by itself to carry the whole thing through the less-popular Thor and Captain America en route to Avengers, and everything's basically been rosy for Feige's bunch since. Meanwhile TDK got a botched sequel and cast a shadow that ultimately drowned Man of Steel, setting off the domino chain of disappointments (barring the very different Wonder Woman) that led the DCEU to release a Justice League that felt for all intent and purposes like MCU-Lite, accidentally proving that there IS, in fact, a lot more to Marvel Studios' success than bright colours and jokes. Because if that's all they had going for them, it would work for everyone, surely.

Beyond all that, I'm still skeptical of how the next Batman film works out. I'm sure it'll be a sizable hit - if it makes less than $800million globally I'll be pretty shocked - but however much I like Matt Reeves, all this stuff he's saying about keeping it down-to-earth feels like it just invites unflattering comparisons to Chris Nolan's movies, when he should be trying to make a Batman that's far removed from that. Plus there's the continuing will-he-won't-he of Ben Affleck's commitment to worry about. And it's still the DCEU so who knows if it even comes out in 2020, honestly. Just because they say it will doesn't mean squat at the moment.

Bottom line: it'll take more than Batman to snuff out the new X-Men.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Isn't Affleck under some kind of heat right now, udner the Metoo thing? Right or not as the face of Batman it can't be good for the overall series.

We know nothing about an MCU X-Men film there are currently not writers, no director, and no cast so as of right now there is not enough information to say.

I'm just happy we're getting an MCU X-Men film and a MR Batman film.

Since the movies are just ideas on a page, how can we possibly even guess which will "win?"
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Welp.

Time to move the movie posters to the film/tv forum.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    I think 2020 is a very optimistic prediction for our first MCU-brand X-Men film. Disney won't have full ownership of Fox until about October at the earliest, by which point they'll be hip-deep in editing for Captain Marvel and Avengers: The Film With No Name, plus filming on Spider-Man Undergrad Dance and at least 2 confirmed 2020 entries (Guardians 3 and Strange 2) will be gearing up. Marvel Studios has their development cycle down to a science and I'm sure there's already ideas being bounced around r.e. how to debut the X-Men but I expect they'll take more time than that to sort it out.

Beyond that...it is funny how you bring up the contrasting fortunes of Iron Man and The Dark Knight like that was some horrific deathblow to the MCU. Yes, TDK did bigger business, but what were the overall impacts? IM was the first step of the MCU and essentially generated enough goodwill by itself to carry the whole thing through the less-popular Thor and Captain America en route to Avengers, and everything's basically been rosy for Feige's bunch since. Meanwhile TDK got a botched sequel and cast a shadow that ultimately drowned Man of Steel, setting off the domino chain of disappointments (barring the very different Wonder Woman) that led the DCEU to release a Justice League that felt for all intent and purposes like MCU-Lite, accidentally proving that there IS, in fact, a lot more to Marvel Studios' success than bright colours and jokes. Because if that's all they had going for them, it would work for everyone, surely.

Beyond all that, I'm still skeptical of how the next Batman film works out. I'm sure it'll be a sizable hit - if it makes less than $800million globally I'll be pretty shocked - but however much I like Matt Reeves, all this stuff he's saying about keeping it down-to-earth feels like it just invites unflattering comparisons to Chris Nolan's movies, when he should be trying to make a Batman that's far removed from that. Plus there's the continuing will-he-won't-he of Ben Affleck's commitment to worry about. And it's still the DCEU so who knows if it even comes out in 2020, honestly. Just because they say it will doesn't mean squat at the moment.

Bottom line: it'll take more than Batman to snuff out the new X-Men.
    I do see your point but in the end, an mcu xmen movie just like other mcu formula movies vs a batman movie more like planet of the apes. (A smart, rich well thought out different movie both in the budget and plot) the quality result will be brutal for xmen maybe more impossible to ignore with the ongoing marvel vs dc war. this one will be an easy win for DC. Ben will not be the actor, but in all good fairness, he always felt miscast to me. DC and Matt Reves wants a person younger and less phoned in performances.

It would have taken more than Batman to snuff out the new X-Men if X-Men was to be made as deserve but once X-Men becomes a meaningless spectacle movie,with lots of gags, zero plot and little substance. Reeves Batman will get an easy knock out punch.

Batman in 2021-2023 will likely go down as the smart and intelligent superhero movie of that year. MCU X-Men will go down as another low entertainment value forgotten mcu movie. a tragedy since X-Men by natural right was always meant to be the smart and intelligent go to superhero movie. it is how MCU XMEN will loose to Batman.
    Last edited by hartttt; 01-14-2018 at 01:15 PM.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Will I win the lottery? U decide!

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

can’t this just go in some other movie thread?
    The forum says x-BOOKS.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    The lottery is based on chance and probability. so you have 1 in a million chance of winning the lottery. if we apply that to MCU X-Men and Matt Reeves Batman, the probability and chance that MCU has made better movies than Matt Reeves and will continue to do so is 1 in a million.

As much as we, I prayed that Justice League will turn out different, the probability and chances it will not do so, was obvious because in the end, it was still a Zack Snyder movie in the same sense that X-men is going to be an MCU movie and Batman is goint to be a Matt Reeves movie so the end result will be the same. MCU X-MEN is a million times more likely to be bad compared to the new Batman movies.