Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CryNotWolf View Post
    Since when is fanservice an inherently negative value? If you view it that way then that's your prerogative. In my opinion, having these kinds of issues every now and then is appropriate. Especially given the characters in question.
    I misunderstood what fanservice meant. I see what it means now.

If only Damian and Jon were to run into their parents here. I’d love to see their faces.

Quote Originally Posted by K Nikk View Post
    I've been reading more about holly. Selina had Holly get training from the guy who trained Batman apparently - so she was a fighter. She was capable of killing (killed someone to save Selina's life). She had a bond with Selina and once took the blame for something Selina did so Selina taking the blame here mirrors that. Holly had a soft spot for kids and took care of them so someone killing children could be a powerful motivator for her to put her training to use and go "too far". I think there is quite a lot of basis for choosing Holly now that I read more about her from the Brubaker run.

This isn't a Catwoman series; so the softer happier moments that Holly had with Selina wouldn't be a focus for this storyline. But the trauma, the anger, the capability - those could come from the Brubaker Holly.
    Right! And that was actually the Will Pfeifer run when a lot of this happen.

Spectacular Member

Shouldn't you guys be talking about silly shipping nonsense instead of the validity of King's take on Holly Robinson? This issue is so far removed from that plot point, it just doesn't seem pertinent.

Just sit back an enjoy the shameless fanservice.
    I think it came up as a reason NOT to like this issue - they can't like King's take on this scene because of King's take on other characters like Holly. So, it was topical to discuss that.

I will thoroughly enjoy this issue. There are a lot of ways a "double-date" with these characters could have been TERRIBLY written, but this looks like it will be fun and beautifully drawn. We just got out of an issue where Batman and Superman talk about each other in such a way that shows how similar they are while at the same time shows how different they THINK they are... and now they're going to dress up as each other! "S is for hope", "The bat is for a bat".... they may actually end up talking about some of the too each other now. (easy to disregard as simple fanservice, but I think there are layers of character study for those who want to see it).

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    If only Damian and Jon were to run into their parents here. I’d love to see their faces.
    Who would they dress up as! If they had everyone to pick from (and didn't just do a switch around)

I think it came up as a reason NOT to like this issue - they can't like King's take on this scene because of King's take on other characters like Holly. So, it was topical to discuss that.

I will thoroughly enjoy this issue. There are a lot of ways a "double-date" with these characters could have been TERRIBLY written, but this looks like it will be fun and beautifully drawn. We just got out of an issue where Batman and Superman talk about each other in such a way that shows how similar they are while at the same time shows how different they THINK they are... and now they're going to dress up as each other! "S is for hope", "The bat is for a bat".... they may actually end up talking about some of the too each other now. (easy to disregard as simple fanservice, but I think there are layers of character study for those who want to see it).
    Yeah I think I will enjoy the issues as well.

Spectacular Member

Since when is fanservice an inherently negative value? If you view it that way then that's your prerogative. In my opinion, having these kinds of issues every now and then is appropriate. Especially given the characters in question.
    I think when you say "shameless" it implies that the someone is doing something they SHOULD feel shame for by most norms, but just doesn't care that it's taboo or that other will judge them. That makes using it with "fanservice" as implying the norm is he should be ashamed for writing it. That's how I always took it when someone says "shameless" whatever.

Who would they dress up as! If they had everyone to pick from (and didn't just do a switch around)
    Batman and Superman

Spectacular Member

Batman and Superman
    I was hoping for something completely different - like that their parents would be a little miffed that they DIDN'T dress as Batman and Superman (or that they specifically chose "those guys" - any jealousies in the JL right now?)

Damian wouldn’t dress as anything other than Batman, and Jon doesn’t really know of any other superhero’s besides his pops.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

LOL "It stretched". "It better"
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Spectacular Member

Damian wouldn’t dress as anything other than Batman, and Jon doesn’t really know of any other superhero’s besides his pops.
    True - though not like any of those people who are at the fair know the people they are dressed up as - they're just superheros to them. But when you put it that way, you are right about Damian, he would only consider Batman wouldn't he. I could see Jon being fans of comics or superheros that he doesn't know (like the other kids at the fair). Someone who would look out of place next to Batman maybe. Fun to think about anyway.

LoL, they might both go as Batman. Or Damian goes as Batman and he talks Jon to go as his Robin.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 12-16-2017 at 05:45 PM.

Spectacular Member

LoL, they might both go as Batman. Or Damian goes as Batman and he talks Jon to go as his Robin.
    Hahaha!! Now I'm picturing Damian in an authentic looking batman outfit, Jon in a store bought one, and Clark in the legit version all standing together enjoying themselves, with a grumpy Superman looking on.

I've been reading more about holly. Selina had Holly get training from the guy who trained Batman apparently - so she was a fighter. She was capable of killing (killed someone to save Selina's life). She had a bond with Selina and once took the blame for something Selina did so Selina taking the blame here mirrors that. Holly had a soft spot for kids and took care of them so someone killing children could be a powerful motivator for her to put her training to use and go "too far". I think there is quite a lot of basis for choosing Holly now that I read more about her from the Brubaker run.

This isn't a Catwoman series; so the softer happier moments that Holly had with Selina wouldn't be a focus for this storyline. But the trauma, the anger, the capability - those could come from the Brubaker Holly.
    I feel like, even taking all that into account, using that to justify the way King has developed Holly is still a very big stretch and turns her into a completely different character then she was under Brubaker.
    Quote Originally Posted by WontonGirl View Post
    And speaking of Maggie, how would she had been able to do it? Wasn't she messed up really bad???
    That's exactly why I think she would've made more sense to use in that situation.