Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by K Nikk View Post
    True - though not like any of those people who are at the fair know the people they are dressed up as - they're just superheros to them. But when you put it that way, you are right about Damian, he would only consider Batman wouldn't he. I could see Jon being fans of comics or superheros that he doesn't know (like the other kids at the fair). Someone who would look out of place next to Batman maybe. Fun to think about anyway.
    Batman, yes. But also an outside shot at being Nightwing. Pretty much the only other adult hero that Damian likes and respects. Personally. In his own way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Batman, yes. But also an outside shot at being Nightwing. Pretty much the only other adult hero that Damian likes and respects. Personally. In his own way.
    Well, Green Arrow managed to grow on him after their Gotham Resistance adventure .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, Green Arrow managed to grow on him after their Gotham Resistance adventure .
    But does Damian like Ollie?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    But does Damian like Ollie?
    Maybe as much as he can like anyone not named Bruce or Dick.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Kite-Man was never a fleshed out character (he was barely a character at all), had no appearances of value and didn't have a fanbase outside of people using him as a meme. Holly's situation isn't comparable at all.
    But Chris situation IS comparable. He was barely a character at first and then they tossed him in to limbo then they brought him back and subjected him to a bizarre new status quo that was also short lived and then they tossed him in to limbo again after undoing it.

"The bat stands for a bat"

King is such a clever writer
    honestly this kind of dialog does get me, he knows exactly what to do to make his characters into human beings.

as for everyone discussing the Holly plot
    why?
    There is basically nothing pointing out any advance on that front soon
    even the solicitations for next chapts dont look like will have anything to do with that

But is not like it is being "ignored" or unresolve
    I feel like this is actual plot
    Batman and Catwoman are engage, This and last chpt are kind of what that is about.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbatos666 View Post
    But Chris situation IS comparable. He was barely a character at first and then they tossed him in to limbo then they brought him back and subjected him to a bizarre new status quo that was also short lived and then they tossed him in to limbo again after undoing it.
    who is Chris in this conversation?
    Im actully interested to know

BANNED

I disagree. Chris was a character who was great when first introduced, but got screwed over by writers/editorial (I don't know the details on this one.) Not a NOTHING character like Kite-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post

King is such a clever writer
    honestly this kind of dialog does get me, he knows exactly what to do to make his characters into human beings.
    From what I've read of this book, this scene is the first time I'd really agree with that.

as for everyone discussing the Holly plot
    why?
    There is basically nothing pointing out any advance on that front soon
    even the solicitations for next chapts dont look like will have anything to do with that
    But is not like it is being "ignored" or unresolve
    I feel like this is actual plot
    Batman and Catwoman are engage, This and last chpt are kind of what that is about.
    I honestly didn't intend to start a discussion about it, but I said why the plot's mere existence is a problem, even in the context of this issue, in previous posts in the thread.

who is Chris in this conversation?
    Im actully interested to know
    Christopher Kent: Adopted son of Lois and Clark. Totally adorable. Victim of DC's incompetence. Currently being written just as OOC as Holly over in Action Comics under his Kryptonian name, Lor-Zod.

BANNED

I'm sorry what? Chris was en empty cardboard of a character when he was introduced and then they did nothing with him. He is a Johns/Donner creation, hard to see editorial screwing him over. He served his role in Johns and Donner rather short story and then went off to limbo. The only time he was fleshed out was during the Robinson era but his status quo changes were so jarring and drastic that he might as well have been a different character. Same applies to him now, hence why I called him an empty cardboard. I see zero difference between him and Kite-Man.

BANNED

I'm sorry what? Chris was en empty cardboard of a character when he was introduced and then they did nothing with him. He is a Johns/Donner creation, hard to see editorial screwing him over. He served his role in Johns and Donner rather short story and then went off to limbo. The only time he was fleshed out was during the Robinson era but his status quo changes were so jarring and drastic that he might as well have been a different character. Same applies to him now, hence why I called him an empty cardboard. I see zero difference between him and Kite-Man.
    You do you, dude.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by K Nikk View Post
    I think when you say "shameless" it implies that the someone is doing something they SHOULD feel shame for by most norms, but just doesn't care that it's taboo or that other will judge them. That makes using it with "fanservice" as implying the norm is he should be ashamed for writing it. That's how I always took it when someone says "shameless" whatever.
    I complain a lot about negative fanservice in comics. But, this looks fine. I mean there's even a logical context for it here.

BANNED

You do you, dude.
    LOL yeah, I guess that's what it always comes down to in the end. But I honestly think you're less concerned about Chris as a character first and foremost and more about his "status" as an adopted son. Cause ya know the character, especially the original one is an empty slate no matter how you look at it.

BANNED

LOL yeah, I guess that's what it always comes down to in the end. But I honestly think you're less concerned about Chris as a character first and foremost and more about his "status" as an adopted son. Cause ya know the character, especially the original one is an empty slate no matter how you look at it.
    I don't deny that I want him as Clark's son pretty bad. Prior to his re-appearance, I actually kinda liked Jon, though never as much as Chris, just hoping that he would eventually come back. After the fact though, it just feels like yet another example of DC dumping on adopted kids in favor of bio kids. However, I do still disagree with you, really liking Chris's character and his relationship with his parents. My favorite Tumblr blogger, RenaRambles, has written a LOT about him. If you're interested, reading some of her stuff may help you see something in him you didn't before.

BANNED

I don't deny that I want him as Clark's son pretty bad. Prior to his re-appearance, I actually kinda liked Jon, though never as much as Chris, just hoping that he would eventually come back. After the fact though, it just feels like yet another example of DC dumping on adopted kids in favor of bio kids. However, I do still disagree with you, really liking Chris's character and his relationship with his parents. My favorite Tumblr blogger, RenaRambles, has written a LOT about him. If you're interested, reading some of her stuff may help you see something in him you didn't before.
    I'll give it a shot but I have read everything with him, Last Son, his appearances in Busiek run, the Rucka Action run, the entire New Krypton Saga in general, Multiversity: the Just and now Rebirth Action. So I'm not really sure what perspective is there to be offered.

Also I think DC has almost always favored adopted relationships over biological ones. Bruce & Alfred, Clark and the Kents are the biggest examples, Bruce and Dick is another notable example. Biological relationships are often demonized. Slade and his kids, Darkseid and his kids, Steph and Arthur, Cass and her parents, Lois and Sam, Sinestro and Soranik. Even Damian and heck even Jon are constantly subject to "will they turn evil or not" stories because of their blood. I dont see DC dumping on adopted relationships at all, Snyder literally closed All Star Batman with a story about Bruce and Alfred's relationship. Damian himself had to forge a relationship with Dick before he even properly knew Bruce and that pairing in still more popular.

I'll give it a shot but I have read everything with him, Last Son, his appearances in Busiek run, the Rucka Action run, the entire New Krypton Saga in general, Multiversity: the Just and now Rebirth Action. So I'm not really sure what perspective is there to be offered.

Also I think DC has almost always favored adopted relationships over biological ones. Bruce & Alfred, Clark and the Kents are the biggest examples, Bruce and Dick is another notable example. Biological relationships are often demonized. Slade and his kids, Darkseid and his kids, Steph and Arthur, Cass and her parents, Lois and Sam, Sinestro and Soranik. Even Damian and heck even Jon are constantly subject to "will they turn evil or not" stories because of their blood. I dont see DC dumping on adopted relationships at all, Snyder literally closed All Star Batman with a story about Bruce and Alfred's relationship. Damian himself had to forge a relationship with Dick before he even properly knew Bruce and that pairing in still more popular.
    Supergirl's biological dad got turned into a Cyborg-Superman, Jor-El's a villain now (kinda), there was a time when Tom Curry wasn't even Aquaman's real dad, etc...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Supergirl's biological dad got turned into a Cyborg-Superman, Jor-El's a villain now (kinda), there was a time when Tom Curry wasn't even Aquaman's real dad, etc...
    Exactly, blood always ends up with negative baggage just because of what it is. Overall comics are built on adopted bonds because these characters are almost always united by tragedy, loss, discrimination, common experiences, a desire to do good etc. I dont see DC or Marvel ever dumping on this concept because its the foundation on which cape comics exist. We know Batman's closest relationships have been with Dick, Alfred, Jim and Clark, none of them are his blood relatives. The existence of one Damian doesn't undo all of that and there's no attempt from writers to undo it either.