Default The Insidious Six?

Does anyone know why the 90s Spider-Man series changes the Sinister Six to the 'Insidious Six'? Some have speculated that it was for censorship issues, but Fox also had the X-Men series which featured a villain called Mr Sinister. Anyone got any info or opinions on this?

Incredible Member

Probably, censorship - that "Sinister" is too "Sinister" a word for children's television - just like Deathstroke was just called by his first name, "Slade", on the Teen Titans cartoon, and Executioner was too just called by first name, "Skurge", on Ultimate Spider-Man.

Incredible Member

[deleted.]
    Last edited by xpyred; 04-16-2017 at 08:05 AM.

Incredible Member

Say, has there ever been an episode of Iron Man, or anything, that fully says what M.O.D.O.K. stands for, in the traditional Marvel Comics meaning?

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    Say, has there ever been an episode of Iron Man, or anything, that fully says what M.O.D.O.K. stands for, in the traditional Marvel Comics meaning?
    Not to my knowledge. In his appearances, it's either left unexplained or changed to things like Chaos, Conquest, or "Kicking-butt" (or according to thew Hulk "kick-ball.")

BANNED

I'll say censorship. The 90's Spider-Man cartoon had ridiculous standards placed against it. No realistic looking firearms could be used, Spider-man couldn't throw a punch, and there was apparently even a memo that said when Spider-Man landed on a rooftop, he couldn't be seen visibly scarring away any pigeons.

There were certainly some censorship issues, and I wouldn't put it past Fox, but what could be so bad about the word "sinister"?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

It got worse, by the time of the Captain America arc in the final season, they were being called "Forgotten Warriors"

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    It got worse, by the time of the Captain America arc in the final season, they were being called "Forgotten Warriors"
    You sure that name didn't refer to Captain America and the five other heroes? Because I remember the villains being called the Insidious Six in those episodes.
    "Tell me there's something better. Go ahead, try."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lemon Head View Post
    You sure that name didn't refer to Captain America and the five other heroes? Because I remember the villains being called the Insidious Six in those episodes.
    Good point, just remembered I was going by part one of the story when Kingpin was referring to the Six as forgotten warriors.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    No, often when they have MODOK in recent cartoons, they change his name to MODOC "Mental Organism Designed Only for Conquest" which was his name in the Marvel Adventures series, which is more kid friendly series. I don't really mind, that name likely fits him better anyway.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    Good point, just remembered I was going by part one of the story when Kingpin was referring to the Six as forgotten warriors.
    The way I remember it, the Kingpin switched up the last part of the names of the Forgotten American Warriors and the Insidious Six.

Just paraphrasing here, but I think it was something along the lines of "Did you really think you American Six could stand up to my Insidious Warriors?"

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    Does anyone know why the 90s Spider-Man series changes the Sinister Six to the 'Insidious Six'? Some have speculated that it was for censorship issues, but Fox also had the X-Men series which featured a villain called Mr Sinister. Anyone got any info or opinions on this?
    Censorship
    Both shows aired on Fox, but they were developed by two different studios
    Spider-Man was done by New World studios, working directly under the command of Marvel Comics
    X-Men was developed by Saban Entertainment, they had more liberty with their show
    Last edited by Speed Force League Unlimited; 07-20-2014 at 07:10 PM.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage