All-New Member

Default A great find for a newbie

So I am somewhat new to comics. I have only been reading them for about 6 months or so and that has all been graphic novels and trade paper backs. That said the other day I went to a yard sale and the man there was selling comics. But what he had that I knew I had to have was his collction of Marvel essentials. I didnt mind that they were in black and white because they started out oin a lot of the tittles at issue one. I figured this would be a great way for me to earn marvel history and see hwere my favorite charcaters started off. He gave me a great price because I bought all of them and now I have 44 volumes that i am rwading through and I love it.

Like I said a great find for a newbie.

All-New Member

Wow! I, too, love the Showcases and Essentials, with almost 150 of these in my collection. Between the two lines, there are 300, so we each hav a ways to go! I just wish these lines were still going.

Quote Originally Posted by Gernot View Post
    Wow! I, too, love the Showcases and Essentials, with almost 150 of these in my collection. Between the two lines, there are 300, so we each hav a ways to go! I just wish these lines were still going.
    I wonder how much that decision was influenced by rise of digital comics? (Marvel Unlimited is a really tempting proposition for any newcomer wanting to go on a massive splurge of reading Marvel’s back catalogue, and has probably attracted away some of the people that in past would have bought Essentials.)

But I agree with two of you, Essentials and Showcases were great value.

I've been a comic reader since a child and I sorely miss those editions, I even found myself buying and reading characters I had just heard off in passing and I was hooked. Yes, I miss this line and unfortunately they will not return. As for the Epic collection they seem to pick a story line more than going back to the beginning.
    Hail Hydra!

All-New Member

Yes, that's what I dislike about the Epics, too. Seems PRETTY much like the standard TPBs from the '00's with much higher prices. I don't even purchase new TPBs anymore, preferring to go to comic shows, Amazon, and other online stores.

Quote Originally Posted by tv horror View Post
    I've been a comic reader since a child and I sorely miss those editions, I even found myself buying and reading characters I had just heard off in passing and I was hooked. Yes, I miss this line and unfortunately they will not return. As for the Epic collection they seem to pick a story line more than going back to the beginning.
    Epics aim to have a complete collection of the characters they just release them out of order. But in the back there is a volume numbering and all the lines are mapped out. I think it's a good business strategy and they manage to fill up gaps between or around omnibus releases. I'm not really dying to read silver age Iron man and those stories are already collected in MMWs, omnibuses and Essentials, even tho they are oop they had 3 different versions (maybe 4 if you count the tpb MMW releases) and some already got Epic reprints but instead of going chronologically they chose to do the first SA epic then jump to the Oneill run which follows the Michelinie-Layton omnibus.
    I really think it's a win win scenario and if the Epic line doesn't crumble you will have a complete colour reprint run of the characters.
    Also Spider-man, Iron man, DD, The Avengers, F4, X-men and maybe even more had their origins reprinted in Epics already.

Fantastic Member

I’ve owned a few Essentials/Showcase volumes over the years. Not really fond of the format...I miss the color a lot. I like B&W artwork fine, but the comics were originally (ftmp) in color and on top of that the poor paper quality doesn’t do the line work any justice anyway. I much prefer the Epics...

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Epics aim to have a complete collection of the characters they just release them out of order. But in the back there is a volume numbering and all the lines are mapped out. I think it's a good business strategy and they manage to fill up gaps between or around omnibus releases. I'm not really dying to read silver age Iron man and those stories are already collected in MMWs, omnibuses and Essentials, even tho they are oop they had 3 different versions (maybe 4 if you count the tpb MMW releases) and some already got Epic reprints but instead of going chronologically they chose to do the first SA epic then jump to the Oneill run which follows the Michelinie-Layton omnibus.
    I really think it's a win win scenario and if the Epic line doesn't crumble you will have a complete colour reprint run of the characters.
    Also Spider-man, Iron man, DD, The Avengers, F4, X-men and maybe even more had their origins reprinted in Epics already.
    They could really increase the demand for Essentials if the first release of Epics picked up where the Essentiala left off.