View Poll Results: How has THE LAST JEDI affected your view of Luke Skywalker?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Luke is GREATER than ever!

24 25.81%
  • No change. Luke is Luke, just older.

14 15.05%
  • Didn't like this take on him at all.

55 59.14%
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    He also had no ship to get off of Ahch-To on. His X-Wing must have been completely totaled after being submerged in the ocean for so long.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Yes, and I think Hamill's performance made clear just how much physical and mental effort it took for Luke to project himself.

Cynical and broken up until that point, yes. But lazy? Hardly!

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I didn't like how he was written in the first part of the movie, but by the end of it, he felt like the old Luke again and he went out big!
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I mean, there's really no reason why Luke couldn't hang around for the foreseeable future, assuming Hamill was willing.

Harrison Ford wanted for Han to be killed off but Hamill didn't want Luke to die. And it makes sense that some of the characters would indeed survive.

And I am perfectly capable of loving Luke and Rey in future installments. It's not like, "Oh, wow, now that Luke's dead I'm finally freed to like the new guys!"

I loved the new characters from the moment they appeared in TFA.
    Yeah, the original plan for 9 was it to be Leia's movie, sort of having each moment of the new trilogy featuring one of the core OT characters in the spotlight. Makes me wonder if that had some factor in Tremorrow leaving the 9th film, perhaps he wanted to use a CG Fisher to salvage the original idea? I'm wondering partially why Rian didn't perhaps do reshoots with Holdo perhaps surviving and taking Leia's place as the resistance leader for 9, with Leia dying in space? I guess they wanted to not cut out her scenes towards the end (including the Luke reunion). I guess it's possible that Poe will emerge as the new leader of the resistance in 9.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Yeah, the original plan for 9 was it to be Leia's movie, sort of having each moment of the new trilogy featuring one of the core OT characters in the spotlight. Makes me wonder if that had some factor in Tremorrow leaving the 9th film, perhaps he wanted to use a CG Fisher to salvage the original idea? I'm wondering partially why Rian didn't perhaps do reshoots with Holdo perhaps surviving and taking Leia's place as the resistance leader for 9, with Leia dying in space? I guess they wanted to not cut out her scenes towards the end (including the Luke reunion). I guess it's possible that Poe will emerge as the new leader of the resistance in 9.
    Poe is a bit young for the responsibility (then again, Leia was even younger when she led the first rebellion), but as both Leia and Holdo observed, he's more of a hotshot flyboy than a diplomatic leader. Guess we'll see how he grows into that responsibility.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

They've shafted Ackbar twice now.

- Was supposed to give Poe the coordinates in TFA and get killed by Kylo.
    - Got blew up when Kylo wimped out.

My two gripes with the WHOLE story so far is that Wedge should've handed Poe the data and that Ackbar should've done the suicide ram. Or vice versa!

Holdo was a great character and I was getting excited to more of her in IX.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 12-19-2017 at 02:54 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I don't think any of the options are quite right.

He was Luke but he was a Luke that was thirty years older and had faced major failures and disappointments. His journey to recapture some of what he had lost was kind of the point, really.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

I liked Hamill's performance in this movie. I kind of liked the "grumpy old man" Luke. In the end he redeemed himself to give hope to the Rebellion. One change I would make, Luke makes it episode IX, and have this ending be the ending of Episode IX. He sacrifices himself for the rebellion, and the Kids tell the legend of Luke, etc. Would set up the new trilogy, if this is the way Johnson decides to go.

I really enjoyed it. I thought it made sense based on the story provided. 30 years of time can do a lot to a person.

I feel like no one is giving Luke's milk scene enough love. Haven's seen swagger like that since the original dos equis guy.

He also had no ship to get off of Ahch-To on. His X-Wing must have been completely totaled after being submerged in the ocean for so long.

completely totaled? who made it Ford? Lift that puppy up and give it some polish. What kind of poorly crafted X-wing is out of commission from a little water?! I'm just saying dudes a master jedi in a universe full of star ships, traveling from planet to planet is like crossing state borders at this point.
    The J-man

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I feel like no one is giving Luke's milk scene enough love. Haven's seen swagger like that since the original dos equis guy.

completely totaled? who made it Ford? Lift that puppy up and give it some polish. What kind of poorly crafted X-wing is out of commission from a little water?! I'm just saying dudes a master jedi in a universe full of star ships, traveling from planet to planet is like crossing state borders at this point.
    SALT water...years of immersion, not to mention that Ahch-To didn't look like a place that offered much in the way of spare parts or avionics workshops.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

iMan 42s

It's not that things are poorly crafted but the X-wing has been waterlogged for an unknown amount of time. The difference in Luke's trip to Dagobah and Ach-to is that Luke's ship has likely been in that ocean far longer than it was in that swamp. Engines would need a repair, who knows what the seams are like on that cockpit, it's unknown how much fuel is in Luke's fighter or if it's even good still, etc. Ach-to is also in a region of space most are unfamiliar with so passers by may be few and far between, and it's not like anybody on that island actually have a ship. We never see any besides the Falcon and Luke's X-wing.
    Did Luke even bring anything to repair a submerged ship? Submerging electronics isn't a real good idea and we know they have to make things waterproof to submerge them and X-wings are never depicted going under water.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

SALT water...years of immersion, not to mention that Ahch-To didn't look like a place that offered much in the way of spare parts or avionics workshops.

how do we know that is salt water?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    It's not that things are poorly crafted but the X-wing has been waterlogged for an unknown amount of time. The difference in Luke's trip to Dagobah and Ach-to is that Luke's ship has likely been in that ocean far longer than it was in that swamp. Engines would need a repair, who knows what the seams are like on that cockpit, it's unknown how much fuel is in Luke's fighter or if it's even good still, etc. Ach-to is also in a region of space most are unfamiliar with so passers by may be few and far between, and it's not like anybody on that island actually have a ship. We never see any besides the Falcon and Luke's X-wing.
    Did Luke even bring anything to repair a submerged ship? Submerging electronics isn't a real good idea and we know they have to make things waterproof to submerge them and X-wings are never depicted going under water.
    We see Yoda pull lift an X-Wing from the swamp in the original trilogy, it flies fine.

Luke could call someone or reach out with the force. I feel like people are leaping to some conclusions with this tech. If Samsung can make a waterproof smartphone I'm willing to give advance space crafts, that can traverse the cosmos at unfathomable speeds and participate in interstellar dogfights the benefit of the doubt. Y'all act like this is a B-17
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    There-in lies the problem.

Surely Disney plans to make more movies with the new characters? So why not just give the OT heroes a respectful send off in this trilogy by handing over to Rey and co instead of breaking them and throwing them into the dump?
    That requires...work.

BANNED

how do we know that is salt water?
    Good point. It could be hydrochloric acid for all we know. I don't believe we actually see anybody take a swim.
    If Samsung can make a waterproof smartphone I'm willing to give advance space crafts, that can traverse the cosmos at unfathomable speeds and participate in interstellar dogfights the benefit of the doubt. Y'all act like this is a B-17
    Not a B-17, more like a Spitfire.

See, thinking of it in terms of 21st century tech is just not how the Star Wars universe functions. Everything runs on WWII era technology. you know, except for the out the stuff you need to make a space opera work, like FTL drives.
    Last edited by Carabas; 12-20-2017 at 02:05 AM.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Yeah, the original plan for 9 was it to be Leia's movie, sort of having each moment of the new trilogy featuring one of the core OT characters in the spotlight.
    You mean to have each of them die at the end of each of the 3 films?